Effectiveness of learning Thai online? Has anyone learnt Thai online?

ubonr1971

Im finding it hard to get a thai teacher to teach me conversational Thai. I live in the sticks of Isan. 

Was thinking of resorting to online teaching. Has anyone done this? Is it a viable option?

I want to apply for Thai citizenship in 2 years and thus have to significantly improve my speaking abilities. 

thanks

Anything you do will help. Speaking to someone via app would be good, but I've never done it.

Conversational Thai can happen at your local 2 hr oil massage ... until your happy ending dulls all sensors, but there is time for one on one conservation before. ????

I live in the boonies, small village.  The village pharmacist wanted to improve her English, I wanted to learn Thai.  We swapped a few hours of Eng/Thai each week.  No charge to either of us.  I learned to read/write/break the tone code because of her.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Neeraman says there is no language test for citizenship anymore. 

(I have no idea whether he is right or not)

Applicants for Thai citizenship must pass new Thai language test | Thaiger (thethaiger.com)

The Thai government has introduced new regulations that require those who apply for Thai citizenship to pass a new Thai language test.

Edited by still kicking

Hi Ubonr, 

Depends on what you mean by online teaching. I am having a private teacher and all sessions are online. If you mean apps and online pre-recorded lessons, I think that this can be helpful but should be taken in addition to classes. In my experience, many foreigners struggle with tones, sentence structures and all the various particles used in Thai. I imagine it quite tough to learn this all by yourself. 

I made a good experience with learning the script online from a website called LearnThai from a White Guy. I also tried various apps, but ultimately did not enjoy the experience. ThaiPod101 was alright. Believe it or not, after 2 months i knew the script and the tone rules and I invested maybe 20 to 30 minutes every day. However, after this I got a new private teacher and we had to work on my tones a lot. 

Good luck!

Of course online learning is efficient. For me it is the only way. If you are a beginner, try beginning with the channel "Thai growth expert" on Youtube:

If you are an "advanced beginner" or at an intermediate level, this guy ("Kru Arty") and another one (Kru Jerry) also have lessons based on pictures in another Youtube channel called "Comprehensible Thai". Comprehensible Thai also features other teachers, Arty and Jerry are just my two favourites. The channel has something for every taste and every level. Remember: if you can understand Thai from the internet, you're set to be able to understand Thai in the street. Talking is another matter, but repeating what you hear ("shadowing") while paying attention to your own voice is the way to go.

Edited by JackGats
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...