“Certification of passport” from embassy for opening new account… what is this exactly?

I’m in Thailand on a visa exemption stamp. At a branch of Bangkok Bank this morning, I asked about opening an account. I can speak Thai well enough to explain that I am American, and not here on any kind of visa.

The answer was that he would open one for me with my original passport plus some kind of “certification of the passport” from “the US embassy”. Further conversation didn’t reveal what this is with sufficient precision.

Does anyone have any insight into what this refers to, *exactly*? I was imagining maybe a notarized, signed copy of my passport? Or is there a specific kind of certification the US can create? I’ve never heard of this but I am not an expert.

Or is this just likely to be wild goose chase, and there’s no actual document that could fulfill this supposed requirement?

38 minutes ago, tai4de2 said:

The answer was that he would open one for me with my original passport plus some kind of “certification of the passport” from “the US embassy”. Further conversation didn’t reveal what this is with sufficient precision.

it is not a notarized copy of passport, usually they ask for "affidavit" saying something like

"to whom it may concern,

I hereby ask your kindly assistance for opening a bank account for Mr. Firstname Lastname,

ambassador of the United States Mr. Asdfghj Qwertyuiop

26 December 2022"

Edited by fdsa
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Opening a bank account in Thailand:

"Can I open a bank account?"

What they say                    |                 What they mean

"Passport (and work permit)?"        |                            YES

"Go get embassy papers"                |                            NO

"Get a paper from your employer" |                            NO

"The manager's not here today"     |                            NO

Ridiculous questions about where   |

you lived and worked before           |                            NO   

• Thumbs Up 1

Certified true copies of U.S. Passport for use in other purposes, it is usually required by Thai authorities for different purposes for example marriage registration, household registration, etc.

From the US Embassy site. Can be accomplished by mail. See here:

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/certified-true-copies-of-u-s-passport/

• Thumbs Up 1