Multiple Non "O" Marriage visa in Savannakhet - December 2022 report

5 hours ago, araiwaja said:

Simply false. Please stop spreading misinformation. 

Correct. There is no such Thai regulation. There is a Cambodian law that, in most cases, requires people entering Cambodia to stay at least one night, but this is nothing to do with the Thai authorities.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

Correct. There is no such Thai regulation. There is a Cambodian law that, in most cases, requires people entering Cambodia to stay at least one night, but this is nothing to do with the Thai authorities.

They do it recently on the Malaysia border in the south too and require you to stay 3 days in Malaysia before returning. Only if you use a expensive agent run service, you can do 3 times without that requirement.

Confuses me too as i thought the new rule and checked by nationalized computer system, was 2 times land border per year max. Guess things are up to each place again since covid.

But the officer also told me, if I did have a multi entry non-o, it would be fine same day.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2023 at 7:16 AM, macgver said:

I just got the Non Imm (O) Marriage Visa for One year on 11 January 2023. 

This is the expenses and procedures;

Bus from Bangkok to Mukdahan - 653 baht

Bus from Mukdahan to Savannakhet - 50 baht

Entry Laos Tourist Tax at Immigration - 100 baht

Hotel for 1 night - 630 baht

Bus from Savannakhet - Mukdahan - 95 baht

Exit Laos Tourist Tax at Immigration - 100 baht

Bus from Mukdahan to Bangkok - 653 baht

Documents required by the Thai Consulate;

Make sure you carry a pen with you

Application Form to fill-up

Two Passport photos

Give your Passport to do Visa

Copy of your Passport

Copy of your Laos Visa

Copy of your Thai Spouse ID

Copy of your Thai Spouse Passport

Copy of your Thai Spouse Tabian Baan

Copy of the Marriage Certificate

Show the original Marriage Certificate

Application for visa start at 9am - 11am

Collection visa start at 2pm - 4pm (Next day).

Make sure you check whether got public holiday in Laos and Thailand. 

Prepare 5,000 baht for one year multiple entry. I'm exempted from the visa fee due to both countries got agreement. 

Remember that you are require to exit from Thailand every 90 days. If land border crossings, you need to stay another country for 1 night, make sure you check whether you need visa to enter the neighbour country. If you are flying out, you can return the same day. 

Many foreigners didn't follow the procedures, end up they got tourist visa for 2 months and single entry visa. 

If a copy of your new Laos visa is required, where did you get it copied. Is that copy stall still opposite the consulate....?

6 hours ago, Tingnongnoi said:

what if wife doesbt have a passport?

If she has a Thai id card, and you are applying for a Thai visa for yourself, there is no necessity for your wife to have a passport (though getting her one is cheap, fast and easy). If you want your Thai wife to join you in Savannakhet for two or three days without a passport that is possible. She will need to get a border pass.

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

If she has a Thai id card, and you are applying for a Thai visa for yourself, there is no necessity for your wife to have a passport (though getting her one is cheap, fast and easy). If you want your Thai wife to join you in Savannakhet for two or three days without a passport that is possible. She will need to get a border pass.

She’s not with me, I was just asking as people had mentioned signed copy needed

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Tingnongnoi said:

She’s not with me, I was just asking as people had mentioned signed copy needed

I have no idea why the requirement for a copy of your Thai Wife's passport by the Consulate. You already give a copy of the ID card and the House Book, then why that requirement as well. ????

I applied for my visa today.  Got to the consulate at 9:30 because prepandemic that’s what I used to do.  The line was out to the street.  It is a Monday and I should have known better.  The line is super slow, made it to the window at around noon.  I got receipt 205, which I think I was probably the 205th person this morning.  My wife didn’t come but I did have a copy of her passport, and they kept it.

My only advise is don’t go on a Monday and be prepared for the sun. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I also took the save visa trip to Laos two weeks ago via Mukdahan, and got the same TB5000 Non O multiple entry visa for one year.  Accurate reporting, thanks.  But this begs the question: what good is this visa if you have to leave Thailand every 90 days?  Furthermore, does this mean Laos immigration will slap a full page 30-day visa sticker in my passport again?  I will soon run out of empty pages.  I shall bring this visa to my local immigration office for their advice before 90 days pass.  It was their ideas to take this visa trip in the first place.

On 1/18/2023 at 4:23 PM, MJCM said:

That is what my Wife did on the first trip to ZVK. (She had her passport with her (just in case). No problems and no issues.

We went across the Nong Khai border a few years back. My wife had her 2 nieces with her and one didn't have a passport so all 3 of them got the temporary pass. Took ages for them to get through, much slower than me.

We had taken the bus from Nong Khai to Vientiane and I had a bit of a job getting the bus to wait for them.

Been an awful lot quicker when she has used her passport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Isaan sailor said:

But this begs the question: what good is this visa if you have to leave Thailand every 90 days?

Personally, for me, the two good reasons to have the visa is to never deal with Thai immigration and I do not have to keep 400,000 in the bank, which at this point I no longer have.  For me I live near Mae Sai and they just put a stamp in the passport rather than a visa.

if you have the 400,000 in the bank your life will be much simpler just to go to immigration and get the yearly extension.

• Thumbs Up 1

After doing non-o extensions the last 2 years due to covid border restrictions, I have done the same visa run to Savan as immigration at our new local office was quite unwelcoming and overly rude and angry toward us for whatever reason.

Submitted all of the same as OP but Laos eVisa printout was returned, didn’t seem like they needed it. Was told 5000 baht within a minute and was given a return receipt.

Couple of tips for anyone looking to ditch extensions and just get a Non-o ME visa in Savan:

- Apply for a Laos eVisa. It will make your arrival into Lao faster and they only apply a small stamp in your passport instead of a full page visa. Together with the arrival stamp, it will take only a 1/4 page of your passport instead. 
- Rent a motorbike if you can as any tuk-tuk or taxi will be 200 baht to take you anywhere. We paid 350 baht for a day to rent and it beats hanging in the hotel all day and night. 
- Internet this time and last was terrible. I have a roaming package through DTAC and jumped on Unitel 4G which works very good, fast. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/20/2023 at 6:00 PM, eastbaybob said:

Personally, for me, the two good reasons to have the visa is to never deal with Thai immigration and I do not have to keep 400,000 in the bank, which at this point I no longer have.  For me I live near Mae Sai and they just put a stamp in the passport rather than a visa.

if you have the 400,000 in the bank your life will be much simpler just to go to immigration and get the yearly extension.

And you get to have a holiday every 90 days. My wife is usually busy sonI go by myself. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

On 2/20/2023 at 3:42 PM, eastbaybob said:

I applied for my visa today.  Got to the consulate at 9:30 because prepandemic that’s what I used to do.  The line was out to the street.  It is a Monday and I should have known better.  The line is super slow, made it to the window at around noon.  I got receipt 205, which I think I was probably the 205th person this morning.  My wife didn’t come but I did have a copy of her passport, and they kept it.

My only advise is don’t go on a Monday and be prepared for the sun. 

Yeah, I was there on a Monday as well. I lined up at around 8:15am and was done by 10am. I had receipt #50. By 8:30 the line was way down the road. It's best to get there by 8am.  You'll should be done before 10am if you can get there at that time.  

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
2 hours ago, Bangmatth said:

Is it necessary for my wife to sign the documents also or is it sufficient that I sign them?

You both endorse the copies of the marriage certificate and KR2. Your wife signs the copy of her id card or passport. You sign the copy of your passport. Preferably, you have a one sentence invitation from your wife to issue a visa for you to visit, which of course she signs.

I was there on Tuesday, I signed only a copy of my passport and Laos visa, my wife signed rest of. Nothing asked or commented. Ok, I had an "original" KR2, not photocopy.

Oh wait, officer complained a copy of my wife's expired passport.

Very painful trip, having used several busses from Chiang Mai to Khon Kaen and Mukdahan. Feet swollen and pain in the back, not recommended!

But got the visa!

Hey, may I ask another question? Does this visa help me to open a Thai bank account or do I need some more documents?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LingonBerry said:

Hey, may I ask another question? Does this visa help me to open a Thai bank account or do I need some more documents?

It is all down to the luck of the draw.  Not visa related in my experience.

Which bank... on which day...  which staff member you get.

Take your wife along, dress smart and smile a lot.....

10 hours ago, LingonBerry said:

I was there on Tuesday, I signed only a copy of my passport and Laos visa, my wife signed rest of. Nothing asked or commented. Ok, I had an "original" KR2, not photocopy.

Oh wait, officer complained a copy of my wife's expired passport.

Very painful trip, having used several busses from Chiang Mai to Khon Kaen and Mukdahan. Feet swollen and pain in the back, not recommended!

But got the visa!

Could you provide some more information. Was it busy. What documents did you provide? Any other useful information?

Following documents I had

Original marriage document - I think it is KR3, my wife took a copy of hers and she only signed

Original KR2 from amphou office, so no need to sign, it was a two page document

Copy of KR5, sc name change document, signed by my wife

Copy of my wife's house book, wife signed

Copy of my wife's id-card, wife signed

Copy of my passport photo page, I signed

Copy of my Laos visa, I signed

Tuesday is a good day to visit, I went in front of consulate 8:30, four people before me were queuing.

Avalon 2 is a great place to stay, 500 baht, and within walking distance from the consulate, less than 1,5 kilometre.

Good places to eat: Lin's Cafe and Pilgrims Inn.

Use International Bus Mukdahan Savannakhet Mukdahan, bus station in Savannakhet is pretty close to Avalon 2 and consulate.

Edited by LingonBerry
  • Like 1

On 2/19/2023 at 2:55 PM, rhino533 said:

Just a quick update:  As of February 14th, 2023, this is the documentation that I needed to present at Savannakhet. (Appling for a Non Imm. 0 based on marriage 1 year multi entry visa)

Filled In Application Form 
Two Passport photos
Passport 
Copy of your Passport
Copy of your Laos Visa
Copy of your Thai Spouse ID
Copy of your Thai Spouse Passport (If they have one)
Copy of your Spouse Thai ID Card
Copy of the Marriage Certificate
Copy of your Thai Spouse Tabian Baan (Blue house registration book)
If you have Children with your Thai Spouse:
Copy of your Childs Passport (If they have one) 
Copy of your Childs Thai ID Card (If they have one)
Copy of your Childs Thai Tabian Baan page (Blue house registration book)
Copy of your Childs Birth Certificate
Show the original Marriage Certificate
Show  the original Childs Birth Certificate
5000B for a Multi Entry

The process was straightforward. If you have all the required documents, it only takes a couple of minutes to submit your application at the window. I arrived at 8:15am and was there until around 10am. The line was quite big by 8:30am. No financial information was requested when applying.

You don't submit child documents even if you have Thai children if the basis for your application is Thai spouse. 

I have Thai children with my wife but I never submit any documents related to them because I'm not applying on the basis of Thai child. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...

I took a bus from Bangkok to Mukdahan in the evening and arrived the next day. The bus costs 620 baht per way. Then I took the first International Bus to the Savannakhet Bus Station, which cost 50 baht. At Laos immigration, I must pay a tourist tax of 100 baht to the immigration officer and a Ministry of Finance entrance fee of 20 baht. Check in to the hotel and pay 500 baht per night, including breakfast.

Then I walked to the Royal Thai General Consulate and waited for the office to open at 9am.

The documents required for the Non-Immigrant O (Dependent Visa) are as follows:
- Fill up the application form
- 2 Passport Photos
- Original passport
- Copy of the front and last pages of passport
- Original Marriage Certificate (show only)
- Copy of your marriage certificate (both signed).
- A copy of your spouse's Thai ID (signed by the spouse)
- A copy of your spouse's house registration book (signed by spouse)
- Update your bankbook and show the original bank book (400,000 baht inside for the last week).
- Copy of all your bankbook pages

When I submitted the documents to the consulate, they never asked any questions and simply handed me a small piece of paper for collection. My visa fee is zero baht.

The next day, around 2pm, I go get the passport. I took a tuk-tuk to the Laos border immigration and paid 50 baht. Smoothly cross the border without paying anything. Pay 55 baht for the bus ticket. Before going to Thai immigration, you must fill out an arrival card.

That is my journey.

3 minutes ago, macgver said:

I took a bus from Bangkok to Mukdahan in the evening and arrived the next day. The bus costs 620 baht per way. Then I took the first International Bus to the Savannakhet Bus Station, which cost 50 baht. At Laos immigration, I must pay a tourist tax of 100 baht to the immigration officer and a Ministry of Finance entrance fee of 20 baht. Check in to the hotel and pay 500 baht per night, including breakfast.

Then I walked to the Royal Thai General Consulate and waited for the office to open at 9am.

The documents required for the Non-Immigrant O (Dependent Visa) are as follows:
- Fill up the application form
- 2 Passport Photos
- Original passport
- Copy of the front and last pages of passport
- Original Marriage Certificate (show only)
- Copy of your marriage certificate (both signed).
- A copy of your spouse's Thai ID (signed by the spouse)
- A copy of your spouse's house registration book (signed by spouse)
- Update your bankbook and show the original bank book (400,000 baht inside for the last week).
- Copy of all your bankbook pages

When I submitted the documents to the consulate, they never asked any questions and simply handed me a small piece of paper for collection. My visa fee is zero baht.

The next day, around 2pm, I go get the passport. I took a tuk-tuk to the Laos border immigration and paid 50 baht. Smoothly cross the border without paying anything. Pay 55 baht for the bus ticket. Before going to Thai immigration, you must fill out an arrival card.

That is my journey.

What visa did you pay zero for........?

• Sad 1