What Personal belongings can I ship on retirement without incurring taxvisa

OP, maybe mention what goods and quantity. There is no formal rule that allows a quantity of duty/tax free, for retire visa. 

There is however, a general exemption for used household goods, personal effects.

Edited by Peterw42

2 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Much less stress and trouble to leave it all behind and buy new here.???? Odd keepsakes can be carried in a suitcase which doesn't need any clothes inside as you can buy them here.

Correct, Fly an airline that allows the max weight of checked luggage. If it won't fit in or is too heavy it's not needed, as everything can be bought in LOS other than personal keepsake items.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

I must live in a different Thailand then........I shipped a 40' container filled to the brim with an entire household content, didn't pay a penny, nothing, nada, nichts. of course.......YMMV

It's up to the customs isn't it! They've been through a lean couple of years so what is the betting that they won't be looking to make up for that now?

I've read many posts about customs demanding outrageous amounts on goods before they will release them.

The official policy on personal effects etc is on the Thai customs website.

Basically 2nd hand/used, one of each item is acceptable. 

Dont pack appliances etc in their original box, as may be seen a new.

http://www.customs.go.th/cont_strc_simple.php?ini_content=individual_F01_160426_01&ini_menu=menu_individual_submenu_02&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individu

Edited by Peterw42

4 hours ago, mistral53 said:

I must live in a different Thailand then........I shipped a 40' container filled to the brim with an entire household content, didn't pay a penny, nothing, nada, nichts. of course.......YMMV

But not in compliance with Thailand Customs rules for retirees unless returning Thai National.The key word in the rule are Resident, not those on temporary visas.. Some have accomplished import without duty tax but he are just lucky. 

Edited by asiaexpat
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mistral53 said:

When was it?

A decade or couple of decades ago?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

The official policy on personal effects etc is on the Thai customs website.

Basically 2nd hand/used, one of each item is acceptable.

The official policy...

The reality is even household belongings of returning Thais will be charged some duties.

Not much but it's still not free.

Edited by unheard

There is an ongoing discussion on another forum regarding importing personnel goods. In a nut shell guy imported goods that were declared on the import documents as personnel items. Customs declared that most of the shipment was household goods. Customs are attempting to get money from the shipper due to false declaration.. Shipper is trying to get money from client for making false declaration. Result goods are still with customs after six months.

Once you have a 1 year visa you are allowed to bring in your household effects into Thailand – duty free. Note that these are used goods. You need to have used them before your bring them to Thailand

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.
  • Thanks 1

On 12/31/2022 at 8:56 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

It's up to the customs isn't it! They've been through a lean couple of years so what is the betting that they won't be looking to make up for that now?

I've read many posts about customs demanding outrageous amounts on goods before they will release them.

Once you have a 1 year visa you are allowed to bring in your household effects into Thailand – duty free. Note that these are used goods. You need to have used them before your bring them to Thailand

• Thanks 1

On 12/31/2022 at 8:50 AM, mistral53 said:

ok, either you have a Thai wife or you came here with a job already in place

2 hours ago, flexomike said:

ok, either you have a Thai wife or you came here with a job already in place

The Thai wife's household items are also being taxed if shipped in a container.

The customs decide which items to tax and at what rate.

Edited by unheard

2 hours ago, blackshadow said:

If shipped in a container?

15 minutes ago, unheard said:

The Thai wife's household items are also being taxed if shipped in a container.

The customs decide which items to tax and at what rate.

They must have changed how they tax things then, we brought a 40 footer over in 2016, nothing that the wife brought got taxed