Long term visa for soon to expire passport

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Best to renew pp.

If you obtain an extension with existing pp it will have expiry date same as expiry of pp. 

Are you on 12 month extensions or a ME non O visa. 

I'm on a TR visa looking to apply for a 1 year ED visa.

I just got my annual retirement visa renewed last week and my passport expires in June. Right enough, they only gave me visa till June, when my passport expires. The guy did say that if I come with new passport in the next few months, they will put visa into new passport-and it will expire Jan 24. Does this sound correct?

34 minutes ago, hackjam said:

I just got my annual retirement visa renewed last week and my passport expires in June. Right enough, they only gave me visa till June, when my passport expires. The guy did say that if I come with new passport in the next few months, they will put visa into new passport-and it will expire Jan 24. Does this sound correct?

No, it does not sound correct. Actually never heard of it. A given visa or extension is not changed a few month after. Sounds very strange to me.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

No, it does not sound correct. Actually never heard of it. A given visa or extension is not changed a few month after. Sounds very strange to me.

You are not Correct.  If he shows up with his new PP and the old passport, where he was only given a few months on the extension due to the passports expiration, they will re-stamp his new passport for the full term of the original extension.  I just went through this with my housekeepers extension as her passport expired in November and her 1 year extension would have been dated until March 30th of next year.  She obtained her new passport, we went to immigration and they stamped her new passport with all of her previous stamps and the new extension which ends on March 30, 2023.  No issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hackjam said:

The guy did say that if I come with new passport in the next few months, they will put visa into new passport-and it will expire Jan 24. Does this sound correct?

That is not correct however as I post this I notice @ThailandRyan has a first hand experience.

Thinking that will be for neighbouring nationals.

Long time ago thinking it was possible to revisit immigration with new pp and have dates extented.

That is not the case now. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

She obtained her new passport, we went to immigration and they stamped her new passport with all of her previous stamps and the new extension which ends on March 30, 2023.  No issues

Think you will find that doesn't apply to the run of the mill farang. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

You are not Correct.  If he shows up with his new PP and the old passport, where he was only given a few months on the extension due to the passports expiration, they will re-stamp his new passport for the full term of the original extension.  I just went through this with my housekeepers extension as her passport expired in November and her 1 year extension would have been dated until March 30th of next year.  She obtained her new passport, we went to immigration and they stamped her new passport with all of her previous stamps and the new extension which ends on March 30, 2023.  No issues.

Ok, then I will stand corrected. Nice to learn something new. ???? 

However, I will also believe it´s like Dr Jack posts.