Some how I found a big ugly drum smoker in Isaan.

Elkski

Well it was a hit.  Gone in 20 mins.    Seared to please the crispy Thai lovers. The thickest part seemed a bit pink so I seared it more.    I'm happy with smoke ring and flavor.  9:30-2 cook.  

• Like 1

Sad to learn her late father sold his eucalyptus tree 2 times and the 2nd time they cut the root so no more.   If it was up to  me I would plant some teak  or rosewood and leave a legacy. The last timber stand was sold 4 years ago and is now cassava.   I'm sure mom got ripped off with the trees.   What other woods are good to smoke with. I have read lamai is the best.  I'm a heavy smoke flavor guy and like hickory and mesquite the best.   I still have 10 days here squatting on the toilet before asoke then Anghor wat  so maybe I can smoke again. 

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 1

It was a big hit and I liked it. I don't think village Thai people have the idle time or patience to cook low and slow.    I wished I had brought a bag of hickory chips with me.  To me it's the gold standard. I will chse with apple and cherry but it's always main wood of mesquite or hickory in my WSM with temp controller.  

1 hour ago, Captain Monday said:

I thought it is toxic?  (unless one is a Koala ????)

Yeah there is a lot of myth about burning Eucalyptus. The Ozzy aborigines have been cooking with it for thousands of years. 

• Like 1

There is a tree over there the man, pointed, who raises pigs, fish, chickens and 2 beautiful cows that he feeds rice bran to.  Lately he has been milling people's rice for free because feed is so high and he wants the bran.    His Mill is big but seems slow.  It takes him all day to do 300 kg. When I see similar sized machines that do 600kg/ hr.  His chaff blows right into the screened off chicken coop.  The hogs, cows, and fish really love that bran.   Here are the 3 chunks of coconut husk I used.  1 had the outside hard shell on and no flare ups. 

20230103_090155.jpg

Edited by Elkski