In the market for a new Samsung phone

prophet01

Looking to buy 'er indoors a new phone just because she wants one.

She's been hapily using her J7 Prime bought 5/6 years ago, I think.

She doesn't need top of the range so initial budget circa. Bt15,000 but flexible.

Any suggestions for Samsung would be welcome.

3 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

Samsung A53 5G is the best option, can be had below 15K, will last another 5 years. I personally use it

I looked at that too but figured if I'm going to spend that much a little extra (20%?) was worthwhile. The S series was to spendy for my liking. The better camera was also a factor. You only take photos once and keep them forever.

23 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

Samsung A53 5G

+1 for the Samsung A53 5G - comes with a guarantee of four OS updates and five years of security patches. I'm more than happy with mine 

• Like 1

I recommend and have bought for a  couple of friends who don't need the best, a great compromise, the A33. The A53 only has slightly better camera, everything else the same. Has fast charging, good enough camera, stereo speakers, great screen and upgradable memory.. about 9k bhat at mbk or online..

• Like 1

Camera quality should be the main consideration in choosing a phone in my opinion. Most people never use anything other than apps which will work on any phone. Resolution is a minor consideration as most phones are adequate. CPU speed and memory considerations are satisfied  by anything other than very cheap phones.

• Thumbs Up 1

The A53 5G was unfortunately a downgrade compared to the A52s 5G. GSMArena has a good review that goes into the comparison. I bought the older one at the end of the last for my mom and she's pretty happy with it. The A53 will get one more OS update but for her it wasn't a big concern. It's one of the last few Samsung phones with an audio jack. Storage can be easily expanded via MicroSD (I recommend a Sandisk or Samsung one with V30 class rating).

I think at this midrange price level of up to 15k THB is the sweetspot for phones currently. You get a good OLED 90-120 Hz screen, more than fast enough SOC, cameras that don't suck, enough RAM (6 or 8GB) and at least 128GB built in storage that can be expanded.

@ozimoron

Pretty much agree with that analysis.

Guaranteed that all three; A33, A53 and A73 will have a vastly superior picture quality than her 5 year old J7 Prime.

It's simply a matter of deciding whether or not we feel it's worth paying whichever price differential.

Edited by prophet01
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, eisfeld said:

It's one of the last few Samsung phones with an audio jack.

That's not really an issue, I just bought a pair of earplugs that connect to the USB-C slot, they work great. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/4/2023 at 1:07 PM, seajae said:

I have an A52s, great phone, water proof too all features are excellent and only 11,000 baht no contract, cant fault it at all.

I use the same phone and now after about 1 year plus usage of it, the battery drains really fast. 

On 1/4/2023 at 12:43 PM, ozimoron said:

You may not find it there. I've seen them in PowerBuy and Samsung. btw, worth getting a glass screen cover and a plastic case.

I tried a thicker screen protector on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+ and the fingerprint sensor had problems with this (it is on the screen). Before you put there a protection better check this first. Put it on the screen without sticking it to it and then test. Of course this is only possible if it is completely transparent before using it. 

Edited by Mickeymaus