Farang Robs Thai Bank Of 420,000 Baht

sriracha john

‘Farang’ robs Karon bank

KARON, PHUKET: Despite an intensive manhunt, police have yet to apprehend the Caucasian man who held up the Siam Commercial Bank branch on Patak Rd in Karon late yesterday afternoon, getting away with 420,000 baht in cash.

At the monthly Phuket Provincial Security Committee meeting held at the ST Hotel in Phuket City this morning, Phuket Provincial Police Commander Maj Gen Decha Budnampetch said he believed the culprit is still in the Karon area.

Soon after the heist, about 4:30 pm, Chalong Police began checking all guesthouses and motorcycle rental agencies in the area in the hope of tracking down the man, who was confirmed by Gen Decha as being a “farang”.

“I think he has been in Thailand [a while] because he could speak some Thai. I think he may have tried to copy the Dutchman who held up the office at Phuket Villa California recently [and was apprehended the following day].

“Witnesses said the man waited on his motorbike in front of the bank for about 30 minutes before entering,” Gen Decha said.

In carrying out the heist, the thief wore a face mask, a white long-sleeved shirt and black trousers. He entered the bank quickly and promptly held a gun to the head of Branch Manager Thurdsak Chusap and demanded cash.

“Even though he was masked, I believe he was a foreigner because he spoke both Thai and English. He kept shouting ‘ray-o ray-o!’ [faster, faster] and ‘More, more!’. He wasn’t a big guy, though. Actually he was shorter than me at about 160 to 165 centimeters,” K. Thurdsak told the Gazette.

“I was really frightened. Everything happened so fast, it was over in just two minutes and he made off on a Suzuki Step motorbike with 420,000 baht. Fortunately, some people outside got a look at his motorbike. That should provide the police with some valuable clues,” he said.

The robbery was recorded on the bank’s closed-circuit television cameras, but the images were not very clear, he said.

“Our bank is under 24-hour video surveillance and I am not sure if the robber knows that images of him robbing the bank were recorded,” he said.

The robber waited until just before the bank’s 4:30 pm closing time to strike, he noted.

Despite the robbery, the bank was back to business as usual and ready to pay out end-of-the-month salaries due today for many workers on the island, he said.

Chairing this morning’s meeting, Phuket Governor Niran Kalayanamit was clearly exasperated by the second robbery-at-gunpoint by a farang in the same month.

Crime rates were already high enough among Thais and the numerous illegal laborers on the island without tourists getting in on the act, he said.

Gov Niran told the security committee he understood that government officers assigned to Phuket were tired with the constant challenges they face here, but nevertheless encouraged them to redouble their efforts to catch the thief in order to protect Phuket’s image as a safe tourist destination.

- Phuket Gazette 2007-06-29

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what a classic tale.... :o "farang robs thai bank" has such a nice ring to it too ! Only 420,000 baht. The guy had his day and maybe the cops won't be able to catch him who knows. Not saying this guy did anything brave or cool, but the banks rob us all blind on a daily basis. Thai banks more so with some truly queer rules regarding opening accounts, limitations on money transfers, non existent interest rate, etc. As if this bank's going to miss the 420,000 baht. Let's see if and when this guy gets caught and if he's really 'farang'. Can't wait to find out !

can you imagine the outrage were it to happen in your own conutry by someone from a wealthier country?

Pathetic and disgraceful. This is even worst the then farang beggars, which can be seen in Phuket from time to time.

Ummm .... I don't visit Phuket these days. Not because of safety concerns but rather because I find it one big big rip-off.

While I can't condone the robbery, it does seem like yet another Phuket rip-off but in reverse.

Does anyone else find that heading offensive?

He may have been a Thai citizen, albeit a farang.

Idiots - he's hardly going to be in a guest house if he is 420,000 richer.

I remember when the UK queen was here - the police were searching the KSR guest houses looking for IRA - idiots.

BTW, the bank guy thurdsak--one of my favorite Thai names!

Never to be confused with our very own terdsak :o

=========================

The other topic mentioned in the OP about the other farang robbery on Phuket, only 6 days before this, is on this thread:

Dutchman Arrested For Office Hold-up

No wonder the Phuket Governor is upset.... the farangs have started a fad.

can you imagine the outrage were it to happen in your own conutry by someone from a wealthier country?

Pathetic and disgraceful. This is even worst the then farang beggars, which can be seen in Phuket from time to time.

And you've never robbed a bank or begged in your life??

Does anyone else find that heading offensive?

He may have been a Thai citizen, albeit a farang.

Idiots - he's hardly going to be in a guest house if he is 420,000 richer.

I remember when the UK queen was here - the police were searching the KSR guest houses looking for IRA - idiots.

Yeah, you must be right - bank robbers and IRA terrorists always stay at the Marriot :o

And you've never robbed a bank or begged in your life??

Nah, not recently. I stopped doing the bank robberies a few years back so I don't need to beg any more. :o:D

In carrying out the heist, the thief wore a face mask, a white long-sleeved shirt and black trousers.

Sounds like someone has some identifying marks on his arms. Tattoos maybe?

Hmm...short stature, tattoos, likes to rob banks....very possibly this one is from Liverpool. Just my two cents :o

In carrying out the heist, the thief wore a face mask, a white long-sleeved shirt and black trousers.

Sounds like someone has some identifying marks on his arms. Tattoos maybe?

certainly possible or perhaps just white skin.... he was almost completely covered up...

Thief robbed Siam Commercial Bank in Phuket’s Karon beach and fled away with over 400,000 baht

News_Thief_bank_Karon.jpg

This is a video image of a man who yesterday afternoon robbed the Siam Commercial Bank in Karon’s tourist area and got away with 420,200 Thai baht.

Police indicated that he may be a foreigner as he did not speak much during the criminal operation. The bank’s employees said that it took the robber about 2 minutes to conduct the crime.

He wore a mask and went straight into the manager’s office, threatened him with a gun which has yet to be identified if it was a fake or real one and snatched 420,000 baht and got on his motorbike with no license plate to flee the scene.

Police are still trying to reach the man with the video image captured by the bank’s CCTV as evidence. The Chalong Police superintendent Pol. Col. Chalit Kaewyarat said police will also use CCTV in 16 different locations to assist the operation while the team also talked to rental vehicle operators to get some leads.

Public are urged to report to police if they meet this man.

- Andaman News TV11

Assuming the police are correct in their deduction one has a certain regard for the farang perpetrator who at least is his own way has tried to establish a balance where others have all too often failed in the eternal struggle against the rapacious Thai.

Well, at least it's better than ' man bites soi dog ' is it not?

It would be interesting to see the Thai reaction if a North Hollywood-style bank robbery were to take place. The police would probably run away and wait for Sonthi & Co to bring in their tanks.

If you are not familiar with the robbery attempt in North Hollywood (California) that happened over a decade ago, click here to see a video-documentary.

I bet he was stopped by the BIB just before the hill for not wearing a helmet. 300 baht tee money then on your way. No number plate no problem, helmets today, insurance tomorrow and lights on a Monday. Maybe a wake up call for law enforcement agencies. Then again maybe not.

'Farang' robs Karon bank

Crime rates were already high enough among Thais and the numerous illegal laborers on the island without tourists getting in on the act, he said.

- Phuket Gazette 2007-06-29

:o It should be a professional beggar on holiday in Phuket and holding a tourist visa of course :D:D