Farang Robs Thai Bank Of 420,000 Baht

sriracha john

decent take. If he'd faked the plates and that motorcycle is history, all he'll have to do is lie low and then after the initial furore has died down - which won't be long, a few weeks or a month, because it it'll only be a few nanoseconds before some other serious crime grabs the cops attention, then he'll want to leave the country. His biggest danger in the meantime is keeping is keeping his mouth shut, if he's an idiot, or from any partners that might be tempted by the reward. These jobs are better undertaken solo.

Cambodia is probably his best bet - he can reach Europe via Korea or Malaysia, or China, or anywhere from there. He should avoid KL and Singapore overland, because it's closer and that's where they'll be looking most.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“Even though he was masked, I believe he was a foreigner because he spoke both Thai and English. He kept shouting ‘ray-o ray-o!’ [faster, faster] and ‘More, more!’. He wasn’t a big guy, though. Actually he was shorter than me at about 160 to 165 centimeters,” K. Thurdsak told the Gazette.

- Phuket Gazette 2007-06-29

Good luck to him, as the banks make so much out of us here, with no interest and paying 15% tax on high fixed term investments, and yet can not get themselves a better quality cctv SOM-NOM-NAR.

Also he will be thai as farangs say "lil lil" (quickly) and not "ray-o ray-o"

More more is what thai's always say, because whatever you give them it's never enough.

what a classic tale.... :D "farang robs thai bank" has such a nice ring to it too ! Only 420,000 baht. The guy had his day and maybe the cops won't be able to catch him who knows. Not saying this guy did anything brave or cool, but the banks rob us all blind on a daily basis. Thai banks more so with some truly queer rules regarding opening accounts, limitations on money transfers, non existent interest rate, etc. As if this bank's going to miss the 420,000 baht. Let's see if and when this guy gets caught and if he's really 'farang'. Can't wait to find out !

The banks sure do rob us blind. Just to give you an example. Yesterday I sent my assistant to the bank to send some money to one of my business partners in India. I checked the rate on the bank's website and on xe.com. Both rates were within a couple of points of each other. However, when she went to send the money the rate was 1.5 Baht higher, PLUS the 550 Baht 'transfer fee' they charged. When I questioned them about it, they did the usual Thai rip-off song and dance, gave me a dumb smile and dismissed me.

Western Union is worse, of course. Their transfer fee is three times the bank fee. You just can't win!

:o:D:D

Amzing how many people actually support this scumbag.

And yet I'll warrant half of you will be the first to jump up and complain how bad itis back home because of pricks like this.

Banks rip you off? They'll rip you off more now to cover events like this. Who do you think will be paying for new security screens or guards? Wake up, banks are businesses not charities.

I wish him well.

It is so rare that a farang comes out on top in Thailand.

I hope you are joking but as no emoticons I assume not.

Two wrongs make a right do they in your book. That's very sad??

No wonder the World is in such a mess with comments and attitudes and comments like this, from those who appear to admire this criminal who probably frightened the sh*t out of the bank workers.

Yes certainly a guy to be be admired.

Don't go blaming the Thais when they show us Farangs disrespect when they can read such comments as to how some of us think.

We moan when the Thais or Immigration are hard on us and then some of of us give a scumbag criminal the "thumbs up". No doubt if you had been in the bank (or your family) your attitude would differ. How selective. how pathetic.

Frankly, I do not care if the thief is white, yellow, brown or green he is still a scumbag and criminal who caused innocent people to be in fear for their lives.

I hope they catch him and that he gets what he deserves -Prison.

Dave

This will make the visa authorities over react yet again. :D

All the time and effort spent with Thais learning english, :o

He was a farang because he could speak english? :D

Hi,

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't the original article say that this guy had been seen hanging around outside the bank for around 30 minutes on a motorbike.

I assume those that think they saw him considered he looked like a Farang (unless we are to believe he wore his mask outside the bank for 30 minutes before entering.

May add weight weight to the possibility the thief was probably a farang on this occasion

Regards, Dave

‘Farang’ robs Karon bank

“Our bank is under 24-hour video surveillance and I am not sure if the robber knows that images of him robbing the bank were recorded,” he said.

What a bright spark this bank manager is. Fully masked, I don't think the robber would be too concerned.

‘Farang’ robs Karon bank

The robbery was recorded on the bank’s closed-circuit television cameras, but the images were not very clear, he said.

Does this mean we have CCTV..but it doesn't work............

At least no shoot out and wounded or dead victims. :o

I work with CCTVs fitted on aircraft and the quality is perfect. I can spot car tags at 20km easy fitted on fixed or rotor craft. These are low quality CCTV images indicating low tech. Probably baht 300 special. The images can be enhanced very easily and more evidence can be collected.

:D

what a classic tale.... :o "farang robs thai bank" has such a nice ring to it too ! Only 420,000 baht. The guy had his day and maybe the cops won't be able to catch him who knows. Not saying this guy did anything brave or cool, but the banks rob us all blind on a daily basis. Thai banks more so with some truly queer rules regarding opening accounts, limitations on money transfers, non existent interest rate, etc. As if this bank's going to miss the 420,000 baht. Let's see if and when this guy gets caught and if he's really 'farang'. Can't wait to find out !

What about the poor guy with a gun pointed at his head.

1) Why did he wait until the bank was ready to close on a day that the bank was paying out instead of taking money in? Since most companies pay in cash the bank's load up so these companies can get their payroll. If he would have hit them a half hour after they opened there would have been tons more cash available. He should have been able to walk away with a few million easy.

2) Any bank robber that does not want to get caught will give as few clues as possible. Therefore a mask, long pants, long sleeve shirt, proper shoes, and gloves are the usual attire. I did not see gloves in the cctv shot. In any case the long sleeve shirt does not indicate tattoos.

3) Why did he wait around out side the bank for 30 minutes? This must have been done on short planning. Anyone that knows what they are doing would check out the bank at different times of the day several days before. And if they are planning to hit during payday it would have to be done a month before.

4) Normal procedure is to steal a motorbike before the job and the more common the bike the better. Do not use anything that sticks out in anyones mind.

5) i agree with the poster that said he was probably thai. Lao Lao is what falangs use for hurry hurry. Also the height . Not many 160cm skinny falangs around.

My bet is a Thai trying to throw them off by using more more.

I must say I am a tad shocked at some of the comments here. This was an armed robbery ! The thief held a gun to a bank officer's head ! A very nervous, possibly alcohol or drug fuelled, bandit. Try to imagine that yourself before you pass lightly over that fact. The comments about the unfortunate bank officer's name are just plain juvenile. I worked with blokes who had faced a gun across the counter and believe me they are never the same.

Banks don't make the rules regarding how much money you can transfer. That is controlled by government regulation. A regulation ALL banks MUST follow. High fees ? Based on the investment value required by banks in premises and equipment, set against staff salaries and other on-costs you might find that the profit is around 4-5% of that investment. Hardly anything to crow about. Yes, some costs are hard to take but then so is the increasing price of petrol or the reducing size, without a price drop, of Mars bars.

I hope they catch this bloke and throw the key away. I also hope the SCB take good care of the bank officers concerned. They will need support and understanding.

OzMan

Ex-Bank Officer

Does anyone else find that heading offensive?

He may have been a Thai citizen, albeit a farang.

Idiots - he's hardly going to be in a guest house if he is 420,000 richer.

I remember when the UK queen was here - the police were searching the KSR guest houses looking for IRA - idiots.

It's misleading, not offensive. And he may have been in a guesthouse prior to the robbery. Better to look than to not, surely.

what a classic tale.... :D "farang robs thai bank" has such a nice ring to it too ! Only 420,000 baht. The guy had his day and maybe the cops won't be able to catch him who knows. Not saying this guy did anything brave or cool, but the banks rob us all blind on a daily basis. Thai banks more so with some truly queer rules regarding opening accounts, limitations on money transfers, non existent interest rate, etc. As if this bank's going to miss the 420,000 baht. Let's see if and when this guy gets caught and if he's really 'farang'. Can't wait to find out !

The banks sure do rob us blind. Just to give you an example. Yesterday I sent my assistant to the bank to send some money to one of my business partners in India. I checked the rate on the bank's website and on xe.com. Both rates were within a couple of points of each other. However, when she went to send the money the rate was 1.5 Baht higher, PLUS the 550 Baht 'transfer fee' they charged. When I questioned them about it, they did the usual Thai rip-off song and dance, gave me a dumb smile and dismissed me.

Western Union is worse, of course. Their transfer fee is three times the bank fee. You just can't win!

:o:D:D

Did you think about Paypal ? :D

I must say I am a tad shocked at some of the comments here. This was an armed robbery ! The thief held a gun to a bank officer's head ! A very nervous, possibly alcohol or drug fuelled, bandit. Try to imagine that yourself before you pass lightly over that fact. The comments about the unfortunate bank officer's name are just plain juvenile. I worked with blokes who had faced a gun across the counter and believe me they are never the same.

Banks don't make the rules regarding how much money you can transfer. That is controlled by government regulation. A regulation ALL banks MUST follow. High fees ? Based on the investment value required by banks in premises and equipment, set against staff salaries and other on-costs you might find that the profit is around 4-5% of that investment. Hardly anything to crow about. Yes, some costs are hard to take but then so is the increasing price of petrol or the reducing size, without a price drop, of Mars bars.

I hope they catch this bloke and throw the key away. I also hope the SCB take good care of the bank officers concerned. They will need support and understanding.

OzMan

Ex-Bank Officer

I can appreciate your comments about being sensitive regarding the feelings of the poor bank manager who was threatened with a gun, but I can't agree with your attempt to defend the obscene profits that almost all banks make.

Banks rip you off? They'll rip you off more now to cover events like this. Who do you think will be paying for new security screens or guards? Wake up, banks are businesses not charities.

Actually, banks are insured. And the insurance-company is usually insured in second level themselfs. So while the normal people will in the end end up paying for this, ofcourse, that isn't why the bank has their fee's and this event cannot really be used as an excuse to increase them further.

And most 'positive' posts in this thread has been 'tounge in cheek', lighten up.