Farang Robs Thai Bank Of 420,000 Baht

sriracha john

‘Farang’ robs Karon bank

KARON, PHUKET: Despite an intensive manhunt, police have yet to apprehend the Caucasian man who held up the Siam Commercial Bank branch on Patak Rd in Karon late yesterday afternoon, getting away with 420,000 baht in cash.

No doubt the police will be looking for a falang with a girlfriend called Bonnie!

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, better than going teaching.

Moral of the story: When your moneys all gone, forget that lousy TEFL - become mates with a bank manager.

Good on him.

What's wrong with teaching?

Teaching in Thailand is easy money!

What exactly do you do?

Well he did make 14 months of a government school salary in 5 minutes. Well, minus the bank managers cut too I suppose.

Edited by thomo

I have a good guess as to who he is, and I think this is only the first in a long string. :o

Who has just lost a lot of money in Thai banks?

Who speaks bad Thai and English?

Who is often seen in white shirts and black trousers?

Who is only 165cm tall when probbed up by two bodyguards?

Who has a popular sport as a very expensive hobby?

I am sure other TV members can add more clues about this person :D

And who might need to disguise themselves in public places lest they be recognised as "most wanted" ?

Well, idiots like that certainly doesn't do our reputation here any favors.

BTW, the bank guy Thurdsak--one of my favorite Thai names!

Mmmm Thurdsak does it have the same ring to it as the name a British couple have just given their newborn son : "Drew Peacock"

Could have been Japanese, Burmese, Indian or was it Harry Bellefonte: ray-o ray-o!'

Abolish the visa runs. Tourist visas allow no more than 3 months in any one year. Non immigrant visa applicants raise stake to 2/3 million baht, make them provide police letters from their home countries confirming there is nothing on police records about them and to show proof that they have legitimate means to be able to support themselves and families in Thailand if they intend to stay for the long term future - pension, earnings from business.

The one year non immigrant visa should be imposed even on those coming to Thailand who intend to legally work here for less than one year. They can leave the kingdom anytime within one year.

Sooner or not so later these visa run dregs that can dodge in & out of Thailand without much effort, will mess things up for all long term residents.

I guess someone had to bring up the Visa run people again. What has this got to do with this thread?

good on him whoever he is,banks have enough money,i hope he gets clean away and enjoys the money.In my opinion the police in Thailand are the biggest robbers in the country,but when it comes to doing any REAL police work they are usually incompetent,they are more interested in robbing farangs on trumped up traffick fines.I hope this guy stays free WELL DONE mate,i will raise a glass for you tonight.

good on him whoever he is,banks have enough money,i hope he gets clean away and enjoys the money.In my opinion the police in Thailand are the biggest robbers in the country,but when it comes to doing any REAL police work they are usually incompetent,they are more interested in robbing farangs on trumped up traffick fines.I hope this guy stays free WELL DONE mate,i will raise a glass for you tonight.

Are you implying that armed robbery is OK? Would it be OK to rob McDonalds as well? Just because someone else has money is it OK to mug them as well?

Soundman.

By the way, I've been asking around the island of Thais, and they are all rolling in the aisles at this story. They're not taking it too seriously, just the usual assortment of idiots that make their way to the islands in low season.

I have a good guess as to who he is, and I think this is only the first in a long string. :o

Who has just lost a lot of money in Thai banks?

Who speaks bad Thai and English?

Who is often seen in white shirts and black trousers?

Who is only 165cm tall when probbed up by two bodyguards?

Who has a popular sport as a very expensive hobby?

I am sure other TV members can add more clues about this person :D

And who might need to disguise themselves in public places lest they be recognised as "most wanted" ?

Well, we do know he can drive a motorcycle...

jan18tr9.th.jpg

Does anyone else find that heading offensive?

Nope, I've never been offended by the term farang. I find it amusing.

I find it amusing, along with them shouting out chocolate when a black person walks past. Imagine a white person calling a black person chocolate anywhere in the West!!!

Whilst their top politicians, journalist and businessmen carry on using these terms, Thailand will never be taken seriously, apart from people coming here looking for "company".

Hope they catch the mongrel and throw away the key. I don't understand how so many posters can support him on the basis that banks are slick/greedy (a point with which I concur). Those who support this armed robber are betraying their own standards and personal quality. I assume they know he's a farang because he was supposed to have been sitting on his motorbike outside the bank for half an hour before the robbery (presumably sans disguise).

Could have been Japanese, Burmese, Indian or was it Harry Bellefonte: ray-o ray-o!'

Abolish the visa runs. Tourist visas allow no more than 3 months in any one year. Non immigrant visa applicants raise stake to 2/3 million baht, make them provide police letters from their home countries confirming there is nothing on police records about them and to show proof that they have legitimate means to be able to support themselves and families in Thailand if they intend to stay for the long term future - pension, earnings from business.

The one year non immigrant visa should be imposed even on those coming to Thailand who intend to legally work here for less than one year. They can leave the kingdom anytime within one year.

Sooner or not so later these visa run dregs that can dodge in & out of Thailand without much effort, will mess things up for all long term residents.

:o I agree with MOST of what you say, except your suggestion that 2/ million be needed to obtain a Non Imm. Visa.

When my house sells in Spain I can afford my own home, car 1.5 m in bank and I already get a NETT pension 56, baht UK Index linked (I get more in 10 years when I get my state pension at 65). Please forgive me for feeling that is PLENTY to prove ability to live here and support wife and child (including my extended family (to some degree) without being a drain on Thailand.

Its disappointing that those with plenty of money, often wish the Non Immigrant Visa financial limits to increased beyond reason, and certainly beyond what many good and worthy Foreign permanent residents here could meet. This would eliminate good people like myself, who has never have had a police record. Finances do not prove the value of the resident although I agree it is reasonable for Thailand to require a person to prove they are not likely to be a financial burden nor are they criminal or unsavoury persons that could harm or affect Thailand or its residents.

If the level you suggest happened now, I would have to leave Thailand and my wife and stepson family (as my house in Spain has NOT yet sold and I could not raise 2/3m baht extra). We could not afford at this stage to up route and live in Spain (although we would of course have a House to live in over there :D)

I know several good men with families here in Thailand, who can easily afford to live here, look after their families and can meet the Visa financial requirements (that keep going up quite fast), they love Thailand, obey all its rules, respect Thai culture and its people etc. BUT they live in daily fear of a really large increase (such as you have suggested) in Non immigrant O visa financial requirements. Such a rise would destroy these people, their families, their lives and their happiness (some have lived here decades). I really do not think that these are the people Thailand would wish to see the back of, and I am sure neither would you . In fact they are good ambassadors for Thailand to their friends and acquaintances and they love their current homeland.

Additionally I would suggest that SOME foreign near perennial tourists, Visa runners, overstays are more likely to be problematical than the majority of those living here permanently on legitimate Visas (after all we Visa holders all know it will take little to have our permission to stay revoked - we have much to lose). By my comment here, I am not suggesting that most tourists are not as worthy as myself to be welcome here in Thailand.

No doubt those who wish to see Non immigrant visa applicants to have to raise financial stakes of 2/3 million baht have the money and are safe (I'm alright Jack). That level would harm MY Thai family, my stepson's education and my ability to help my wife's family. I would have to buy a cheaper smaller house to keep 2/3m baht in a Thai bank earning under 3% interest. Would it make me a better man or more worthy to live here? NO it would just weaken my ability to look after my family properly.

Kind regards, Dave

Moral of the story: When your moneys all gone, forget that lousy TEFL - become mates with a bank manager.

Good on him.

What exactly do you do?

Well he did make 14 months of a government school salary in 5 minutes. Well, minus the bank managers cut too I suppose.

Yet to tell how you contribute more to the country than a lousy TEFLer.

Good on him.

What exactly do you do?

teaching is like robbing a bank but slowly...

'Farang' robs Karon bank

bull6302007-5802-1.jpgAn artist's impression of the robber drawn from descriptions by witnesses who saw the man waiting outside before he entered and robbed the bank.

KARON: Despite an intensive manhunt, police have yet to apprehend the Caucasian man who held up the Siam Commercial Bank branch on Patak Rd in Karon late yesterday afternoon, getting away with 420,000 baht in cash.

At the monthly Phuket Provincial Security Committee meeting held at the ST Hotel in Phuket City this morning, Phuket Provincial Police Commander Maj Gen Decha Budnampetch said he believed the culprit is still in the Karon area.

Soon after the heist, about 4:30 pm, Chalong Police began checking all guesthouses and motorcycle rental agencies in the area in the hope of tracking down the man, who was confirmed by Gen Decha as being a "farang".

"I think he has been in Thailand [a while] because he could speak some Thai. I think he may have tried to copy the Dutchman who held up the office at Phuket Villa California recently [and was apprehended the following day].

"Witnesses said the man waited on his motorbike in front of the bank for about 30 minutes before entering," Gen Decha said.

In carrying out the heist, the thief wore a face mask, a white long-sleeved shirt and black trousers. He entered the bank quickly and promptly held a gun to the head of Branch Manager Thurdsak Chusap and demanded cash.

"Even though he was masked, I believe he was a foreigner because he spoke both Thai and English. He kept shouting 'ray-o ray-o!' [faster, faster] and 'More, more!'. He wasn't a big guy, though. Actually he was shorter than me at about 160 to 165 centimeters," K. Thurdsak told the Gazette.

"I was really frightened. Everything happened so fast, it was over in just two minutes and he made off on a Suzuki Step motorbike with 420,000 baht. Fortunately, some people outside got a look at his motorbike. That should provide the police with some valuable clues," he said.

The robbery was recorded on the bank's closed-circuit television cameras, but the images were not very clear, he said.

"Our bank is under 24-hour video surveillance and I am not sure if the robber knows that images of him robbing the bank were recorded," he said.

The robber waited until just before the bank's 4:30 pm closing time to strike, he noted.

Despite the robbery, the bank was back to business as usual and ready to pay out end-of-the-month salaries due today for many workers on the island, he said.

Chairing this morning's meeting, Phuket Governor Niran Kalayanamit was clearly exasperated by the second robbery-at-gunpoint by a farang in the same month.

Crime rates were already high enough among Thais and the numerous illegal laborers on the island without tourists getting in on the act, he said.

Gov Niran told the security committee he understood that government officers assigned to Phuket were tired with the constant challenges they face here, but nevertheless encouraged them to redouble their efforts to catch the thief in order to protect Phuket's image as a safe tourist destination.

* Phuket Gazette.

Now I have seen the witnesses' impression of what they allege is the robber, I am definitely convinced it is not a Farang,

This is a pale complexion Thai or SE Asian who maybe dyes his hair.

If the police are hunting a farang for this robbery, than no one will ever be caught. Another devil white man eludes justice and more details to be added into the Thai book of prejudices against farangs living or visiting Thailand

Edited by RagingBrit

'Farang' robs Karon bank

Crime rates were already high enough among Thais and the numerous illegal laborers on the island without tourists getting in on the act, he said.

* Phuket Gazette.

The idea of declaring this a "reserved occupation" springs to mind.

If this sort of behaviour is not clamped down on soon you'll have farangs driving tuk-tuk's

:o

I have one for you Thai bank robs Farang..

this is documented with the Thai courts as of Feb 2007 in Roi Et Thailand. American Express cheques cashed by fraude signature of wife to the sum of $4,900 dollars, the Kasakorn Bank manager did not follow protocol of authentic documents (passport) to be present on cashing cheques, while the banks in Bangkok will not allow cashing of cheques with out passport. Signing 29 times the signature did not resemble in anyway the countersignature at the top left hand corner of cheques! I talked with bank manager and he has washed his hands of situation along with American Express did not in anyway help me, their comment is up to me to deal with the Thai Bank. Thai Bank robs foreigner of holiday savings!

Any support or help in this matter I would greatly appreciate.

I am presently back in Canada working once again to return to Thailand this fall to finalize the divorse of my Thai wife and some how make the Karaskorn Bank and its manager responsible for my loss. The Bangkok post would like this article of "Thai Banks rip off foreigner " or better still Kasakorn Bank look after accounts like "FARMERS" the old banks name!

Now I have seen the witnesses' impression of what they allege is the robber, I am definitely convinced it is not a Farang,

If the police are hunting a farang for this robbery, than no one will ever be caught. Another devil white man eludes justice and more details to be added into the Thai book of prejudices against farangs living or visiting Thailand

Right! Sure those thais can be smart enough to distinguish a farang from a thai! The stupidity that exist in this world is far beyond one can imagine.

And having a close look, they have forgotten to draw the buttons on the shirt. And how come there is beard but no moustache?

With your attitude what are you doing there ??

That was part of the baggage you were supposed to leave at the airport when you arrive.

P off back to the UK where you and your fellow xenophobic racists mates can all have a pint together.

My apologies to the good Brits here.