Does anyone know if the recent rule changes apply to ex-pats?

spidermike007

Does anyone know if the new rules apply to expats, who have retirement visas issued within Thailand? Other than proof of vaccination, do any of the new health insurance requirements apply? 

I was told no, as long as it is a visa acquired within Thailand. Any info to the contrary? 

I am from the US, and I do travel back and forth quite often. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

The rules are unambiguous. Why are they confusing for you?

There's no exemption for retirees but it obviously wouldn't affect you as the US doesn't "refuse entry to infected people" from Thailand. So you need your vaccination proof but no insurance needed.

Edited by edwardandtubs

6 minutes ago, parafareno said:

what about visa expempt extension? I need to do in march? I am not vaxxed

The rules last until the end of this month and as they appear to be a knee-jerk reaction, may not be extended. But if they are extended then you would have to check whether the country you're going to "refuses entry to infected people" from Thailand.

22 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

The rules last until the end of this month and as they appear to be a knee-jerk reaction, may not be extended. But if they are extended then you would have to check whether the country you're going to "refuses entry to infected people" from Thailand.

i already did a visa run to cambodia they did not ask for any proof....but coming back to thailand could be tricky....will they ask me for waxxx proof?

19 minutes ago, parafareno said:

i already did a visa run to cambodia they did not ask for any proof....but coming back to thailand could be tricky....will they ask me for waxxx proof?

If you're coming back to Thailand this month (or longer if it gets extended) then you need proof of vaccination or a letter from a doctor explaining why you cannot get vaccinated. It's now the airline's responsibility to ask you for this when you're checking in for the flight.

46 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

You think it will end at the end of the month? I don't, not the way it's spreading in the West and the new variant not so detectable. More countries will expand their restriction not end IMHO

"The danger is that an explosion of cases coincides with an already-difficult influenza and respiratory syncytial virus season, straining hospitals. In Belgium, public health authorities declared a flu epidemic due to surging cases, with the peak expected in three or four weeks".

https://www.politico.eu/article/kraken-covid19-coronavirus-health-ecdc/

32 minutes ago, Seppius said:

You think it will end at the end of the month? I don't, not the way it's spreading in the West and the new variant not so detectable. More countries will expand their restriction not end IMHO

"The danger is that an explosion of cases coincides with an already-difficult influenza and respiratory syncytial virus season, straining hospitals. In Belgium, public health authorities declared a flu epidemic due to surging cases, with the peak expected in three or four weeks".

Cases will be going through peaks and troughs for the rest of our lives. The Thai authorities are not going to screw their tourist industry every time cases rise.

And your quote mentions a flu epidemic. That's not something new at all and has never led to travel restrictions.

Edited by edwardandtubs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ohyesuare said:

If you're coming back to Thailand this month (or longer if it gets extended) then you need proof of vaccination or a letter from a doctor explaining why you cannot get vaccinated. It's now the airline's responsibility to ask you for this when you're checking in for the flight.

At present it seems the land borders are unaffected so that's the best option for a border hop with no vaccine certificate.

Edited by edwardandtubs

Vax certificate required for us on retirement extensions. Health insurance should not be required as we have no need to depart from the country and unlikely to have a departure flight. Apparently, Health insurance only needed for those returning to countries requiring testing to enter if coming from Thailand (India and China). 

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Seppius said:

Syncytial virus? 

I think that you are referring to a viral infection which can cause cell fusion. And in this case, you would expect multinucleated cells. 

Correct? 

35 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Vax certificate required for us on retirement extensions. Health insurance should not be required as we have no need to depart from the country and unlikely to have a departure flight. Apparently, Health insurance only needed for those returning to countries requiring testing to enter if coming from Thailand (India and China). 

Correct: No need, and no wish to depart. 

If fully vaccinated, then absolutely no need to worry. 

Correct? 

• Thumbs Up 2

This is a fluid situation, one need to be safe if they travel by having at least 2 recognized Covid vaxes if they don't want to have problems entering any country nowadays and keep reading up on the latest developments... Such world we're living in now...

I have flown back and forth to the US five times since October of 2021. I was always asked for proof of vaccination by the airlines. Only in the beginning (1st two trips, when one day quarantine was required) was I asked for it, when entering Thailand. 

My only concern is the mandatory heath insurance, but that appears to be a non factor, in this case. Needed the vaccinations, to do all that traveling. No big deal. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I have flown back and forth to the US five times since October of 2021. I was always asked for proof of vaccination by the airlines. Only in the beginning (1st two trips, when one day quarantine was required) was I asked for it, when entering Thailand. 

My only concern is the mandatory heath insurance, but that appears to be a non factor, in this case. Needed the vaccinations, to do all that traveling. No big deal. 

IIRC, back when C-19 was rife and Thailand's mandatory health insurance requirements were causing grief, there were plenty of cheap and acceptable Covid-specific insurance options, many that could be easily acquired online. One of the busiest quarantine hotel finders had an offshoot with half-a-dozen links to insurance providers that could issue policies that met all the Thai requirements.

If this current panic grows arms and legs (which I doubt), I am confident that acceptable and affordable options will be available.