Putting marriage visa in a new passport

Hi all, apologies if this subject has been done to death, I’m a Uk citizen and hold a Uk passport and I’m here on a non o based on retirement, I’m also the holder of an Irish passport ( obtained because my father was Irish) my extension renewal date is the 24th may 2023 I’m going to renew that extension as based on retirement, at some stage this year I will get married to the gf, is it possible to leave Thailand in say December this year to have Xmas with my family in the Uk, then return to Thailand and enter on my Irish passport and get my extension based on marriage stamped in my Irish passport, I want to use my Irish passport as the Irish embassy are at the moment still issuing letters for immigration to confirm I have funds every month to meet the monthly income method of 40,000 baht.

when Ieave to go to the Uk I will not get a re entry permit so it will kill off the extension based on retirement, do you think it’s best to apply for a non o based on marriage from the Uk using the e visa or should I just enter on a visa exempt 30 days and then apply in Thailand..

any help or advice greatly received 

Just a point from a personal experience. Check if your bank will let you change your passport to the Irish passport.

You are effectively changing nationality. I opened a bank account about 15 years ago with my irish passport. When I came to live here I hardly had any time left on that passport and my UK passport was virtually brand new. I therefore applied for my Non O using my UK passport. Realising the letter required from the bank on reporting would state my passport number, I went into the bank to change my passport number only to be told "cannot" as like I said, I was literally changing nationality and they can't make that change on the system. I had birth certs and everything to prove I was the same person but in the end I had to close that and open a new bank account.

Like I say, just check with your bank first. Your bank may allow nationality change but for me, it caused me a lot of hassle.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks mrbojangles that’s good piece of information, I hadn’t taken that into account, but the Irish embassy issue a letter for immigration confirming you have enough funds to meet the required 40K baht a month…I’ve done a few 90 day reports now and haven’t been asked to show funds with a bank letter