Thai Health insurers

Bazt

I'm looking to move back in a couple of months , looking for suggestions for health insurance as the link by the Thai Embassy in Canberra is useless as some companies won't switch over to English language. I'm 67yo

I've searched but can't find any up to date info here

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers

11 minutes ago, sitta said:

I think AXA will insure up 90, but you will pay for it.

Just got a quote for 90 days 6,836 Baht

Thanks , i'm looking at the yearly cost for the 3.5 mil baht pain in the rectum insurance ????

• Haha 1

Because of your age any OA Visa Health Insurance Policy will be expensive.  This is the due to the high coverage limit(3.5 Million Baht). Many Health Insurance policies do not go over 1 Million Baht.  I am not 67 and I have a Pacific Cross Policy that is Non OA Visa compliant and I pay over 62,000 Baht per year.  Also, I believe Pacific Cross does not issue policies to new customers if one is over 60(I am not sure it could be 65).  

You might want to consider another Visa/Ext of Stay option?  A Non Imm O-Retirement obtained in Thailand might be a better option because mandatory Health Insurance is not required.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Because of your age any OA Visa Health Insurance Policy will be expensive.  This is the due to the high coverage limit(3.5 Million Baht). Many Health Insurance policies do not go over 1 Million Baht.  I am not 67 and I have a Pacific Cross Policy that is Non OA Visa compliant and I pay over 62,000 Baht per year.  Also, I believe Pacific Cross does not issue policies to new customers if one is over 60(I am not sure it could be 65).  

You might want to consider another Visa/Ext of Stay option?  A Non Imm O-Retirement obtained in Thailand might be a better option because mandatory Health Insurance is not required.  

Most people have been switching from OA to O to avoid the insurance 

56 minutes ago, Bazt said:

So if i enter on the Non O which is 90 days then i can get 1 year extension ?

Or come in 45 day exempt apply for Non O while in Thailand?

This insurance <deleted> is a pain in the ass

It is, and the way the requirement is structured makes no real sense.

However - separating this from visa requirements - it is really unadvisable to live here uninsured and many have coemn ot serious grief that way.

Get a non-O visa (not O-A) and then get "real" (not from a Thai company) insurance. If you expect to return to Oz at least once a year, and will retain eligibility for health care back there, a travel policy that covers just emergencies and med-evac might suit.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It is, and the way the requirement is structured makes no real sense.

However - separating this from visa requirements - it is really unadvisable to live here uninsured and many have coemn ot serious grief that way.

Get a non-O visa (not O-A) and then get "real" (not from a Thai company) insurance. If you expect to return to Oz at least once a year, and will retain eligibility for health care back there, a travel policy that covers just emergencies and med-evac might suit.

Thanks Sheryl

I don't intend to stay uninsured while there and expect to return to Oz once a year.

Will get travel insurance initialy

So just to clarify Visa etc wise

I come in on Exempt 45 day then i can apply for Non-O which is 90 days then i can get extension Non-O for 1 year

is that correct.

Cheers and thanks for any info

Edited by Bazt
add

10 minutes ago, Bazt said:

Thanks Sheryl

I don't intend to stay uninsured while there and expect to return to Oz once a year.

Will get travel insurance initialy

So just to clarify Visa etc wise

I come in on Exempt 45 day then i can apply for Non-O which is 90 days then i can get extension Non-O for 1 year

is that correct.

Cheers and thanks for any info

Yes

16 minutes ago, Bazt said:

Fantastic , that looks the way to go

Sorry to carry on just checking that the said Non-O don't require Thai Insurance ?

Will travel insurance cover for the year be good enough

Cheers

Travel insurance is usually only valid if previously spent 6 months in home country, so it's fine for the first year, 18 months, then you need to find something else. Check the policy doc, it will specify

• Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Travel insurance is usually only valid if previously spent 6 months in home country, so it's fine for the first year, 18 months, then you need to find something else. Check the policy doc, it will specify

Hopefully last question

With the Non - O extension do i need money in bank etc?

1 hour ago, Bazt said:

Fantastic , that looks the way to go

Sorry to carry on just checking that the said Non-O don't require Thai Insurance ?

Will travel insurance cover for the year be good enough

Cheers

Also bear in mind that travel policies in the UK at least usually are for 30 or 60 days some maybe 90, even an annual multi travel policy are usually limited to 180 days cover a year. best see a broker as if you are on a non o visa they might deem you to be resident in Thailand at least for travel insurance

You can get annual policies but i found the cost was the same as getting health insurance

• Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, howerde said:

Also bear in mind that travel policies in the UK at least usually are for 30 or 60 days some maybe 90, even an annual multi travel policy are usually limited to 180 days cover a year. best see a broker as if you are on a non o visa they might deem you to be resident in Thailand at least for travel insurance

You can get annual policies but i found the cost was the same as getting health insurance

Annual policies are restricted to consecutive days 30, 45, 60, think i got 90 once, no more. You can get travel insurance \backpacker insurance for up to 18 months (consecutively), sometimes a max age limit 45,  probably varies per country

2 hours ago, Bazt said:

Hopefully last question

With the Non - O extension do i need money in bank etc?

Yes. 800k in the bank for 2 months prior to extension. 

Have to keep 800k in the bank for 3 months after that, then not less than 400k for 7 months then back to 800k 2 months before next extension. 

There is an alternative method proving transfer of 65k a month from abroad every month.

• Thumbs Up 1