Register Bike Without Residence Certificate - or deadline for registration?

Hi

Just bought a second hand motorbike. I have greenbook, sale contract and a signed copy of sellers ID. I want to transfer the bike into my name. However I have just moved Condos and dont have a residence certificate. Can I still transfer? Can an agent help?

My work permit is the new type without the address listed. While I would get a residence certificate, my Thai partners name is on the rental contract, so im not sure I can get a residence certificate? 

Next question is, if it takes me several weeks to get all paperwork ready to transfer, can I still ride the bike in the meantime? Is there a deadline or cut off period when my sale contract expires? For example, if I had to wait 3 months before I could transfer the bike, would this be okay or cause problems with changing registration?

cheers!

You'll need a Certificate of Residence. Get the landlord to file a online TM30 and print the result, take that to immigration. Doesn't matter whose name is on the rental contract. That's how it works here in Phuket at least. My friend did it just last week.

The sale contract should not expire unless the contract states so. Have never seen that but you never know with private contracts, they can contain anything so just read it.

You can ride the bike without limit. It's more of an issue for the seller because until the bike is transfered, fines would still be sent to him.

• Like 2

If the bike is not taxed for three years, the Green Book and registration become invalid. Then you have to start the whole process over again, applying for new green book and new number plates.

I only found this out last week because a friend  returned for the first time since pre-Covid and his bike has just been sitting there unused in his absence

No problem riding the bike at all, as long as it has tax and compulsory insurance, it's fine...

Check the seller's ID expiration, and if Farang, check visa expiry, I vaguely recall it must be valid for transfer...

Also if the bike is stolen  or green book is lost you can't claim it, need seller to do it...

21 hours ago, phetphet said:

If the bike is not taxed for three years, the Green Book and registration become invalid. Then you have to start the whole process over again, applying for new green book and new number plates.

I only found this out last week because a friend  returned for the first time since pre-Covid and his bike has just been sitting there unused in his absence

Sadly I might be in the same spot. Bought a 2nd hand bike, turns out it hasn't been taxed ever since the guy before me bought it. I got the gbook and some thai documents but all the registration shops have been telling me its either I need a truck load of documents they don't even mention what they are, or just call it quits and have the bike in limbo lol.

2 hours ago, elijaveloper said:

Sadly I might be in the same spot. Bought a 2nd hand bike, turns out it hasn't been taxed ever since the guy before me bought it. I got the gbook and some thai documents but all the registration shops have been telling me its either I need a truck load of documents they don't even mention what they are, or just call it quits and have the bike in limbo lol.

I think you will need a copy of the ID of the previous owner.