Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Certificate of Residence - Jomtien Immigration

bbi1

Need to get one so I can apply for a Thai motorbike licence. I'm currently on a visa exempt entry.

What are the current requirements? Is there a certain amount of days you have to have still in your visa exempt period before they will issue it, or it doesn't matter? I will also be doing a 30 day extension of stay at the same time.

I believe the requirements are:

1. Completed Application Form

2. Two Photographs for each application - Passport Size - approximately 4x5 cm or 1 5/8 x 2 inches (One photo will be retained with the application and the other will be affixed to the Residence Certificate)

3. Original Passport

4. Photocopies of pages in your passport - Identity Page, Visa Exempt entry stamp.

5. Original rental contract

6. A fee of 300 baht

Edited by bbi1

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I didn't think you could get a local licence unless you lived here, and on an exempt you are a tourist. Can't you drive on a home country licence plus IDP?

My understanding too Jacko. Pretty sure visa exempt won't cut the mustard for Thai licence.

If no have IDP, home licence may be valid for 3 months.

Possibly depends on the individual BIB if pulled over.????????

8 hours ago, thaitom said:

I was told a residence certificate couldn't be issued until after the first 90-day report was filed.  Also need to have a long term visa.  That was my experience.

You seem to be talking about Bangkok, this thread is about Pattaya where first 90 day report isn't a deal breaker, also visa exempt is ok

11 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I didn't think you could get a local licence unless you lived here, and on an exempt you are a tourist. Can't you drive on a home country licence plus IDP?

Are you sure about this? I remember people saying on this forum that visa exempt is fine to get a Thai driver's licence in Pattaya. I think as far as you had 30 days until expiry of your extension of stay. Can anyone else confirm if this is the case?

Do you also need an appointment at the motor registry or can you just rock up and get it. Of course with the appropriate documents.

Edited by bbi1

4 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Are you sure about this?

Plenty of people have obtained a licence on visa exempt.

Bit of a waste of money IMO, but if you just want the no hassle hand holding option (including transport to and from DLT) you're looking at 3500 Bht via an agency such as https://www.mots-services.com/mots-services1.

18 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Plenty of people have obtained a licence on visa exempt.

Bit of a waste of money IMO, but if you just want the no hassle hand holding option (including transport to and from DLT) you're looking at 3500 Bht via an agency such as https://www.mots-services.com/mots-services1.

25 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

go there to get an appointment first

Ok thanks. I'm guessing you'd need to be there at 8:30am on the dot when they open.

Is it true they only process 20 foreigners for licences per day as per this? https://pcec.club/BanglamungDLT

And that appointments can be from a few days to a few weeks in the future?

Edited by bbi1

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

Ok thanks. I'm guessing you'd need to be there at 8:30am on the dot when they open.

Is it true they only process 20 foreigners for licences per day as per this? https://pcec.club/BanglamungDLT

And that appointments can be from a few days to a few weeks in the future?

8.30am is late, probably people queuing from 7.30am. Recent posts suggest the appointment could be a few weeks later

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

8.30am is late, probably people queuing from 7.30am. Recent posts suggest the appointment could be a few weeks later

Oh wow. If you go there later in the morning, do they turn you away?

11 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Are you sure about this? I remember people saying on this forum that visa exempt is fine to get a Thai driver's licence in Pattaya. I think as far as you had 30 days until expiry of your extension of stay. Can anyone else confirm if this is the case?

No I am not purely because I believe I have read on this forum of people getting Thai licences on Tourist Visas.... I also recall looking at the regulations many years ago where a long term visa/extension was required.... nothing is set in concrete here. I just wonder why, a person limited to 90 days here would need one... I was told a home licence and IDP would be okay up to 90 days. Ask an agent, I am betting they can get you one. 

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I just wonder why, a person limited to 90 days here would need one

A lot of people used to get one to get Thai prices at parks etc. before that option vanished, a lot of people spend longer than 90 days and there's the ongoing debate re how long can you drive on a home licence, some people got one just because they could and thought it was "cool", some people used it for ID rather than their passport. 

17 minutes ago, Salerno said:

A lot of people used to get one to get Thai prices at parks etc. before that option vanished, a lot of people spend longer than 90 days and there's the ongoing debate re how long can you drive on a home licence, some people got one just because they could and thought it was "cool", some people used it for ID rather than their passport. 

Everything you mention is really for the convenience of tourists, when domestic licences should be a facility offered to residents and of course the locals. The government facilities have limited capacity and tourists are only straining the resource. 

Thai prices at parks.. you make an example of why tourists should not be able to bypass the prices. Tourists cannot stay longer than 90 days consecutively. As said driving on a home licence (plus IDP) is allowed up to 90 days... although I would not trust this to work well outside the tourist areas. Being 'cool' is silly and one is supposed to carry a passport at all times.... ain't we had that discussion often enough (Some idiot will pipe up about carrying a laminated copy soon). For me, I would like to keep the numbers down on the roads, particularly those not used to driving here and on the left. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Everything you mention is really for the convenience of tourists, when domestic licences should be a facility offered to residents and of course the locals.

You asked why, all I did was list some reasons I have been told by people that got them. If you have an issue with them perhaps take it up with, you know, the people that make the rules ... the Government.

39 minutes ago, Salerno said:

You asked why, all I did was list some reasons I have been told by people that got them. If you have an issue with them perhaps take it up with, you know, the people that make the rules ... the Government.

And I pointed out that it was rather a one sided reply... I will add that a local licence makes things easy, the police seem to just wave you on, rather than applying another level of scrutiny for their needs. I am not a tourist, but know well enough I am not in a position to take up anything with the government!

40 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

And I pointed out that it was rather a one sided reply... I will add that a local licence makes things easy, the police seem to just wave you on, rather than applying another level of scrutiny for their needs. I am not a tourist, but know well enough I am not in a position to take up anything with the government!

Getting a licence early makes sense, obviously if here only for a few weeks a year i wouldn't bother, but usually those initial weeks leads to months then years. I think i got mine when i stayed 3-4 months a year.

Police hate it when i show them my licence, any feigned politeness gone

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Police hate it when i show them my licence, any feigned politeness gone

Well the discussion was relating to just tourists, specifically those on a visa exempt. 

If we talk about a 2 year temporary, that is one thing, but to get a 5 year one it specifically says..

PASSPORT WITH NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY)

For a two year it says..

PASSPORT WITH VISA (ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY)

A visa exempt is not really a Visa! But I suspect this opens up Thai driving licences, 2 year, to tourists.

Edited by jacko45k

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Well the discussion was relating to just tourists, specifically those on a visa exempt. 

If we talk about a 2 year temporary, that is one thing, but to get a 5 year one it specifically says..

PASSPORT WITH NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY)

For a two year it says..

PASSPORT WITH VISA (ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY)

A visa exempt is not really a Visa! But I suspect this opens up Thai driving licences, 2 year, to tourists.

Yes the 2 year visa includes visa exempt. I've not seen any reports anywhere of someone being rejected, of course 5 year is something else

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes the 2 year visa includes visa exempt. I've not seen any reports anywhere of someone being rejected, of course 5 year is something else

I suspect the website is not kept up to date too.... I would expect some  Visas other than Non-Imm to qualify for a 5 year licence, like the Elite and LTR ones.