Crossing Into Laos And Vietnam With My Bike

A couple of friends and I are planning on riding our bikes into Laos and over to Vietnam in October.

Anyone know what will be required to do this. The bikes are registerd and current with tags and whatnot. My bike is registerd in my wifes name and the others are in their names. We all have Non O visas if that matters.

Thanks in advance for any help.

John, Martin, and Oscar

Edited by JohnOFphon

I think you can actually if you have the owner fill in the forms allowing you to do so, you alo need a signed copy of there id card and tabien baan. Im not sure but I think you may have problems getting into vietnam, for more info you should check on www.gt-rider.com

Jake

John an excellent source of information for touring around the golden triangle check out www.Gt_riders.com its full of routes , customs requirements, and road reports from riders who have done trips like you intend. It also has some nice day trip and overnight routes from Chiang Mai. Hope it helps and enjoy your trip :o

A couple of friends and I are planning on riding our bikes into Laos and over to Vietnam in October.

Anyone know what will be required to do this. The bikes are registerd and current with tags and whatnot. My bike is registerd in my wifes name and the others are in their names. We all have Non O visas if that matters.

Thanks in advance for any help.

John, Martin, and Oscar

Dont waste your time trying to get into Vietnam.

Laos is ok, except at the Friendship Bridge at Nong Khai & at the 3rd Friendship Bridge at Mukdahan / Savannakhet.

If any bike is not registered in your name, then you need permission from the owner to take / export the bike.

For full info go the GT Rider Crossing Borders page, plus the GT Rider Lao forum for the latest on entering Laos.

All the info you need is there.

• 3 years later...

Hello,

Is it possible to get a visa on arrival to Vietnam when crossing near Vinh ?

And do you know if there are duty free shops selling Vietnamese delicacies as Snake wine on the Lao side and Vietnamese side ?

Thanks.

I thought the VOA was only available arriving by air?

But it's no hassle getting one in the Bangkok embassy before you go.

They sell the snake wine everywhere in Lao and VN so you'll have no problems getting it.