Where to buy an unlocked 4g router, with both wifi and ethernet outlet?

Maud

2 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

I understood that they have a SIM already. I also understood that the SIM is for a router. But perhaps they can buy it next time. And there are also users that use such a SIM in their phone or tablet. And then they can use the free calls.

In my case the SIM with free calls was 234,66 including delivery. It was for whatever reason cheaper than the ones without calls ????. This is why I bought this one. If I extend for another month this one will be 265 Baht and then more expensive than the ones without free calls. 

You do understand that you posted a picture don’t you? No one can order from a picture. So unless you link to where they can buy the same for 234.66, it is of no use at all. In the meantime we are discussing SIM cards for a router, call allowance not necessary so no need for them to buy it the next time unless you provide a link to where they can get it cheaper than the plan without the allowance. 

8 minutes ago, NextG said:

You do understand that you posted a picture don’t you? No one can order from a picture. So unless you link to where they can buy the same for 234.66, it is of no use at all. In the meantime we are discussing SIM cards for a router, call allowance not necessary so no need for them to buy it the next time unless you provide a link to where they can get it cheaper than the plan without the allowance. 

Anyone familiar with Lazada and Shoppee knows that offers are subject to change - especially regarding SIM cards. A link is not very helpful as the price might not be the same anymore. Also Lazada itself provides rewards and other promotions that change all the time. Better look there for the offers at this time. You will know YOUR price when you go to check-out. 

If you have a problem that I bought a SIM with free calls that was cheaper than one without free calls please simply ignore this ????????

5 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

Anyone familiar with Lazada and Shoppee knows that offers are subject to change - especially regarding SIM cards. A link is not very helpful as the price might not be the same anymore. Also Lazada itself provides rewards and other promotions that change all the time. Better look there for the offers at this time. You will know YOUR price when you go to check-out. 

If you have a problem that I bought a SIM with free calls that was cheaper than one without free calls please simply ignore this ????????

I have a problem with you posting pics of items that you can no longer buy and are irrelevant to the original query. 
Unless you can actually but the item in the picture at the price shown, there is absolutely no point in recommending it to someone who is using it in a router. They would need the package without calls, which would be cheaper…. unless you can produce a link that shows otherwise. 

16 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

I understand that you are excited about the whole Lazada/Shopee thing, but not everyone will want to take that route. As you saw, they went for a local option. Local computer shop and possibly local DTAC shop. 
They can walk into a 7-11, buy a SIM, top it up with 200 baht and tap in the code for unlimited 20 Mbps. Up and running within the hour. No need to sit and wait for couriers. 

On 1/13/2023 at 8:38 PM, Maud said:
On 1/13/2023 at 7:47 PM, soi3eddie said:

Can't go wrong with TP-Link Archer MR-600 4G Router. I've used them for a few years. All you need is a sim card with unlimited data and you're good to go. 

Jib Online offer good service.

https://www.jib.co.th/web/product/readProduct/47340/2358/ROUTER-WITH-SIM-CARD-SLOT--เราเตอร์ใส่ซิมการ์ด--TP-LINK-ARCHER-MR600---4G--CAT6-AC1200-WIRELESS-DUAL-BAND-GIGABIT-ROUTER

Expand  

Many thanks.  Another good suggestion.

I bought one of these on lazada last month for 3317 baht. I also got the DTAC 1-year data sim for around 1690 baht. Both have been working flawlessly in my man cave.

As mentioned earlier, all carriers offer special SIM packages either directly in their stores, online or through resellers on lazada. The price you see/pay today may not be the same tomorrow. It's a very dynamic market.

Over the years, I rate TP Link's equipment over Netgear. I wouldn't bother with D-Link.

Edit: I see you've gone with D-Link and it seems to fit the bill so far. My experience was based on setting up a friend's Wi-Fi on the D-Link hardware that he insisted on buying and was quite frankly a major faff about to configure and had rubbish stability.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, NextG said:

I understand that you are excited about the whole Lazada/Shopee thing, but not everyone will want to take that route. As you saw, they went for a local option. Local computer shop and possibly local DTAC shop. 
They can walk into a 7-11, buy a SIM, top it up with 200 baht and tap in the code for unlimited 20 Mbps. Up and running within the hour. No need to sit and wait for couriers. 

Maybe, like myself, @Mickeymaus finds trekking around the shops for the ubiquitous 'no hab' or sales staff that don't know what they're selling as all a bit painful and pointless?

You can top-up SIMS from your smartphone. No need to walk to a 7-eleven.

BTW, for exercise, I ride a push bike.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Maybe, like myself, @Mickeymaus finds trekking around the shops for the ubiquitous 'no hab' or sales staff that don't know what they're selling as all a bit painful and pointless?

Who suggested “trekking around the shops”? That was you ???? I think you missed the point. I wrote about buying the SIM locally as opposed to buying online and waiting for a courier. You can find SIMs everywhere for 50 baht or less. You don’t need to talk with a sales person for advice. You can top up your SIM in any way you like(I have no idea why you have mentioned it at all) and then tap in your code. All done within an hour. No need to wait at home for a delivery, especially if you choose COD. 
You, for one, should know better ☺️

Why you would need to trek around shops to buy a SIM and to top it up is known only unto yourself. The rest of us can just buy a SIM at our nearest stockist in minutes, unless we live off the beaten track. 

17 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I too ride a push bike. Great for the lungs. 

On 1/13/2023 at 7:47 PM, soi3eddie said:

Can't go wrong with TP-Link Archer MR-600 4G Router. I've used them for a few years. All you need is a sim card with unlimited data and you're good to go. 

Jib Online offer good service.

https://www.jib.co.th/web/product/readProduct/47340/2358/ROUTER-WITH-SIM-CARD-SLOT--เราเตอร์ใส่ซิมการ์ด--TP-LINK-ARCHER-MR600---4G--CAT6-AC1200-WIRELESS-DUAL-BAND-GIGABIT-ROUTER

We have had this setup for 2 years.

AIS 10mb unlimited plan 300 per month.

We have >40 smart devices, 9 iPad, phone or PCs., 

Works flawlessly 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Either way, I am not suggesting to avoid Lazada et al. The point being that a lot of people like to buy on the spot. Local store and take it home with them, as in the case of this thread. So best to provide both options and leave people to make their choice. Some options are only available via vendors and others you can apply by yourself. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MAF666 said:

We have had this setup for 2 years.

AIS 10mb unlimited plan 300 per month.

We have >40 smart devices, 9 iPad, phone or PCs., 

Works flawlessly 

10 Mbps for how many devices??

You really should have upgrade the SIM to 30 Mbps when there was the opportunity. It was a mere 235 baht per month, so you would have saved 65 baht per month and gained another 20 Mbps. There are one or two vendors who claim to still have these plans available, though as far as I know, AIS have discontinued them. I’ll post a link for you to try anyway. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

Is this the 10 Mbps package with unlimited data for 900 Baht? If so you better buy a 30 Mbps monthly package also with unlimited data for about 230 Baht at Lazada. You can extend it up to 6 months. And you also get free calls with some of them.

This was the last one that I bought. Free calls to all networks for 1 month. No need to top up and extend for the next months. Simply buy a new one at Lazada. Often cheaper than an extension (like mine) and free calls start again. Or you buy a yearly unlimited DTAC 30 Mbps package for only 1690.

DTAC 5.jpg

Thanks.

Yes, the 10Mbps package.  It's OK for virtually everything - NowTV (Sky's streaming service is delivers via that now), iPlayer, Discovery+ - except BT Sport, which seems to buffer a lot.  BT got very clever when they launched their portable/mobile offerings and demand locations services on phones and tablets, so it has to go via a laptop.  The bounders.  ????

We'll try it for a few more days, then make a decision whether or not we need to look again at the deal we are using.  Whilst I'd rather not have wasted c1000 bhat, it's not a life changing amount if we decided your option could work better.

Last time here (seems like a lifetime ago), we looked at Lazada for something and it wouldn't accept a UK card, but if that deal offers cash on delivery it could be helpful.

Thanks again.  I appreciate it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maud said:

Thanks.

Yes, the 10Mbps package.  It's OK for virtually everything - NowTV (Sky's streaming service is delivers via that now), iPlayer, Discovery+ - except BT Sport, which seems to buffer a lot.  BT got very clever when they launched their portable/mobile offerings and demand locations services on phones and tablets, so it has to go via a laptop.  The bounders.  ????

We'll try it for a few more days, then make a decision whether or not we need to look again at the deal we are using.  Whilst I'd rather not have wasted c1000 bhat, it's not a life changing amount if we decided your option could work better.

Last time here (seems like a lifetime ago), we looked at Lazada for something and it wouldn't accept a UK card, but if that deal offers cash on delivery it could be helpful.

Thanks again.  I appreciate it.

Whilst you are evaluating, you might think about buying a one off day pack(perhaps a GB. It won’t affect your current promo, it will just run for the day or until you use up the volume) and running a speed test to check the maximum speed you can obtain. Prior to this, run a speed test to check the figures now.  Then you’ll know whether the upgrade is appropriate for you. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NextG said:

Whilst you are evaluating, you might think about buying a one off day pack(perhaps a GB. It won’t affect your current promo, it will just run for the day or until you use up the volume) and running a speed test to check the maximum speed you can obtain. Prior to this, run a speed test to check the figures now.  Then you’ll know whether the upgrade is appropriate for you. 

Thanks.  Yes.  I’d already considered that as an option.

Further update, if you aren’t all bored enough yet.

Yesterday, I dropped a not to our VPN provider, who also provided the pre-configured VPN router, asking if they had any ideas.  The outcome was our inbound gateway to the VPN router was changed, server-side.

After a managed reboot of both routers, our experience on BTSport, for about 2 hours was significantly improved with literally, maybe 2 brief spots of buffering, so for new we’ll adopt a watching brief (deliberate), and see how we go.

All part of the Thailand adventure. ????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maud said:

Further update, if you aren’t all bored enough yet.

Yesterday, I dropped a not to our VPN provider, who also provided the pre-configured VPN router, asking if they had any ideas.  The outcome was our inbound gateway to the VPN router was changed, server-side.

After a managed reboot of both routers, our experience on BTSport, for about 2 hours was significantly improved with literally, maybe 2 brief spots of buffering, so for new we’ll adopt a watching brief (deliberate), and see how we go.

All part of the Thailand adventure. ????

What were the results of the actual speed tests? Are you getting the full 10Mbps?

2 hours ago, NextG said:

What were the results of the actual speed tests? Are you getting the full 10Mbps?

No.  It is pretty variable, but often 6Mbps, but channeling via the VPN router, or a VPN connection for that matter throttles a little speed off.

Provided it streams the channels we require, we can view YouTube, and it allows a bit of surfing and email, we'll be happy.  We aren't gamers or anything requiring massive bandwidth.  

We're not here, running a full time business, or keeping teenagers amused, so our needs are simple once our requirements are met.  We're here to live for 3 months, with the aim of avoiding the worst of winter.

53 minutes ago, Maud said:

No.  It is pretty variable, but often 6Mbps, but channeling via the VPN router, or a VPN connection for that matter throttles a little speed off.

Provided it streams the channels we require, we can view YouTube, and it allows a bit of surfing and email, we'll be happy.  We aren't gamers or anything requiring massive bandwidth.  

We're not here, running a full time business, or keeping teenagers amused, so our needs are simple once our requirements are met.  We're here to live for 3 months, with the aim of avoiding the worst of winter.

So certainly not worth ‘upgrading’ to a higher speed package, as you likely won’t get more than you are getting now. You can double check by adding a full speed day pack and testing again. 
Looks like you need to choose another network next year if in the same location. 6 Mbps is relatively poor, though if it fits your need there is no issue. But better to have some headroom in any case. 

On 1/22/2023 at 4:36 AM, NanLaew said:

I bought one of these on lazada last month for 3317 baht. I also got the DTAC 1-year data sim for around 1690 baht. Both have been working flawlessly in my man cave.

As mentioned earlier, all carriers offer special SIM packages either directly in their stores, online or through resellers on lazada. The price you see/pay today may not be the same tomorrow. It's a very dynamic market.

Over the years, I rate TP Link's equipment over Netgear. I wouldn't bother with D-Link.

Edit: I see you've gone with D-Link and it seems to fit the bill so far. My experience was based on setting up a friend's Wi-Fi on the D-Link hardware that he insisted on buying and was quite frankly a major faff about to configure and had rubbish stability.

What speed is the DTAC 1 year Sim and how is it performing when you do the broadband speed tests?

19 hours ago, NextG said:

So certainly not worth ‘upgrading’ to a higher speed package, as you likely won’t get more than you are getting now. You can double check by adding a full speed day pack and testing again. 
Looks like you need to choose another network next year if in the same location. 6 Mbps is relatively poor, though if it fits your need there is no issue. But better to have some headroom in any case. 

The thing we found with phone sims, was after a period of days the speed dropped.  It appears buying a package of unlimited data of XMbps doesn't mean that is maintained whatever.  Our early days were data use heavy, sorting a few things out.

For now, provided this go as they seem to now - last night we watched a movie on Prime, which needs VPN - streaming was faultless, we'll not meddle any further.  On future trips we will be better prepared by researching such "stuff" before travelling. 

41 minutes ago, Maud said:

The thing we found with phone sims, was after a period of days the speed dropped.  It appears buying a package of unlimited data of XMbps doesn't mean that is maintained whatever.  Our early days were data use heavy, sorting a few things out.

For now, provided this go as they seem to now - last night we watched a movie on Prime, which needs VPN - streaming was faultless, we'll not meddle any further.  On future trips we will be better prepared by researching such "stuff" before travelling. 

I had a problem with DTAC today. It was the first time that I had a problem with DTAC and I used it for some months already. The speed dropped to only about 128 Kbps. I called the hotline and asked them to reset the connection. So far it works again. Let's hope the best. A friend of mine had this problem with her phone. Same procedure. 

23 hours ago, Eddie45 said:

What speed is the DTAC 1 year Sim and how is it performing when you do the broadband speed tests?

It was this one. It didn't need any third-party activation like some resellers offer. DTAC's online self-activation didn't work for me (face picture unacceptable) so I popped into the local DTAC store and they did it in less than a minute.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i2890010883-s10552775890.html

dtacsim.jpg.a2800e88d934629fc08c48dfb552d579.jpg

Before I go down that speed test rabbit hole, let me know what specific broadband speed tests you recommend.

An earlier thread by @Mickeymaus where he did extensive speed testing on AIS and DTAC data SIMS had a bit of a heated debate due to not all speed tests being the same.

For now, I have had no connectivity issues whatsoever with Netflix or BBC iPlayer (via VPN). I tend to fire up the tests when things start to buffer and crash.