Plane Crash in Nepal killing atleast 40 !

Social Media

Pokhara airport: At least 40 killed in plane crash in central Nepal

A plane with 72 people on board has crashed near an airport in central Nepal and at least 40 bodies have been recovered, officials say.

The Yeti Airlines flight from Kathmandu to the tourist town of Pokhara crashed on landing, catching fire.

Videos posted on social media show an aircraft flying low over a populated area before spinning sharply.

There were 68 passengers on board, including at least 15 foreign nationals, and four crew members.

Hundreds of Nepalese soldiers are involved in the operation at the crash site in the gorge of the Seti River, just one and a half kilometres from the airport.

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

A video showed a glimpse of the aircraft descending. It looks like there may have been a side slip stall as the left wing dipped sharply..

I just watched the horrific video I agree 100% low slow nose high tail low port wing stalled first and she just augered in sad at least it was over quick for the souls aboard sad ???? 

• Like 1

A veteran airline consultant says pilots likely "lost control" of a plane which crashed in Nepal, killing at least 68 people.

Video posted to social media showed a plane flying low before sharply rolling in the air and disappearing out of frame. 

One witness said he saw the aircraft spinning violently in the air after it began descending to land, watching from the terrace of his house. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-01-16/nepal-plane-crash-pilots-lost-control-australian-on-board/101857702

11 hours ago, Tug said:

A really tough area to fly my condolences to all the bereaved and rip to all who perished sad ???? 

Not this route, which isn't that challenging as the approach into Pokhara is concerned but some of the more remote mountain airports, especially Tenzing Hillary airport/Lukla are hairraising.

Bad weather, a highly demanding terrain & small planes are often not a good mix.

12 minutes ago, Mr Dome said:

Not this route, which isn't that challenging as the approach into Pokhara is concerned but some of the more remote mountain airports, especially Tenzing Hillary airport/Lukla are hairraising.

Bad weather, a highly demanding terrain & small planes are often not a good mix.

I went to Pokhara from Kathmandu in 1979 by bus. I decided that was so scary that I would fly back. It was a decent trip out to the airport and the flight back to Kathmandu was in a canvas biplane. It seems like they wanted the airport so much closer to Pokhara that they built the new one in an unsafe location.

I recall that the walk up to the top of a nearby ridge was 2,500 feet in the space of less than a kilometre. I was only 25 and had been doing martial arts at the time so was quite fit. Some local kids who looked about 6 years old begged us to carry our packs for 5 rupees (about 30 cents in those days). I was a bit reluctant because they were so young. They beat us to the top by about half an hour.

pokhara.JPG

Edited by ozimoron

Unfortunately,  it appears to be a "textbook" stall/spin.

High altitude, low approach speed, tight turn.....then wing stalls, aircraft spins and at that height from terrain , inevitable crash.

The ATR72 is a great and safe aircraft,  if handled correctly.

Very sad.

• Like 1