Police emphasise restrictions on foreigner-owned businesses in Thailand

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The Royal Thai Police would join force with the agencies concerned to inspect and enforce the restrictions on foreigner-owned businesses in Thailand

The RTP joins forces with the AIRFOB..., a force for good, a force to be reckoned with, a force of nature! 

AIRFOB - Agency to Inspect Restrictions on Foreigner-Owned Businesses

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Elkski said:

Headed to Siem Reap today.  I hope we avoid the Chinese on this 3 day excursion.    It seems like most tourists we have seen we guess are from Japan and Korea.   

You really have to " guess" the difference? 

53 minutes ago, Elkski said:

So wouldn't this apply to westerners too.  Buying business in wife's name? 

That depends, is the wife operating the business and the westerner just managing it....like a bar, restaurant or bike rental agency....the money stays in the country however, unless of course the westerner sends it back to the west.....but then that's very doubtful.

• Like 1

There was an article several years ago stating that up to 50% of the agriculture in Thailand was owned by Chinese nationals using Thai Nominees.

Here in Ratchaburi I knew 2 chinese that ran businesses here.  One was coming in on tourist visas.  His business was getting free coconut husks from farmers and shredding them and sending it back to china.  The other one would buy up fields of produce/fruits and send them back to china in shipping containers.  He also a few years ago bought some land and was setting up a business making wood pellets to send to china.

I haven't been in contact with them for a couple of years now though.

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

No equivalence. In the wife's name, a Thai national owns 100% of the business. It's effectively a gift.

True.  But - 'there are groups of Chinese people who are investing in Thailand via Thai nominees'.  If the word Chinese was replaced by any other nationality, would this then apply to the house-buying company?

Just now, mikebell said:

True.  But - 'there are groups of Chinese people who are investing in Thailand via Thai nominees'.  If the word Chinese was replaced by any other nationality, would this then apply to the house-buying company?

That is exactly the type of construct that the police are going after. Yes, I believe it would.

4 hours ago, geisha said:

Bit of a difference between bona fide Chinese tourists and crooks isn’t there ?? 

Yes. The crooks don’t follow a guide carrying a flag on a pole and probably don’t do their own clothes washing……. In the hotel swimming pools

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, John Drake said:

This is exactly how northern Laos essentially became annexed and how Cambodia is following the same pattern. Chinese come in and ignore local laws and rules. Just do as they please, while building their own infrastructure. Eventually, a state within a state, and the entire geographic entity then falls into their lap without a shot being fired.

BARI.jpg.02af73a21749b745fce33f3058ce616e.jpg

Load of rubbish. There are no foreign owned entertainment venues. It would be a Thai Company that owns it. I may have foreigners as shareholders to the value of 49% but thats it. Try looking at illegally owned places without licenses. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Elkski said:

Headed to Siem Reap today.  I hope we avoid the Chinese on this 3 day excursion.    It seems like most tourists we have seen we guess are from Japan and Korea.   

If the Chinese arrive at Angkor temples by the busload as they were doing when I was there is 2015, you have to get up around 5 AM and finish your touring of popular sites by 8:30. Then continue at sites not visited by them.

44 minutes ago, austhai said:

Load of rubbish. There are no foreign owned entertainment venues. It would be a Thai Company that owns it. I may have foreigners as shareholders to the value of 49% but thats it. Try looking at illegally owned places without licenses. 

The article mentioned nominees (who front for foreigners).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, austhai said:

Did you loo at the title of the OP, they are discussing companies that look legal but are only listed as being owned by a Thai but are actually run by others who are not Thai.....illegal to use a Thai to buy or make a business if they are not actually involved ie....Nominee.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Elkski said:

My last trip to SR was in 2015, and the place was overrun by the same social retards who amass at places like King Power. Haven’t been back since. YMMV.