Legendary US musician David Crosby dies aged 81

webfact

screenshot_19126.jpg
David Crosby pictured in 2019. Photograph: Taylor Jewell/Invision/AP

Singer, songwriter and guitarist co-founded The Byrds and supergroup Crosby, Stills & Nash

Tom Ambrose

Legendary US musician David Crosby has died aged 81, after a “long illness”.

The singer, guitarist and songwriter was part of the original line-up of The Byrds and appeared on their first five albums, including the 1965 hit cover of Bob Dylan’s ‘Mr Tambourine Man’.

He also co-founded the folk rock supergroup Crosby, Stills & Nash along with fellow musicians Stephen Stills and Graham Nash. They later added Canadian singer-songwriter Neil Young to the line-up.

In a statement to Variety, his widow Jan Dance said: “It is with great sadness after a long illness, that our beloved David (Croz) Crosby has passed away. He was lovingly surrounded by his wife and soulmate Jan and son Django.

Full story: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/jan/19/legendary-us-musician-david-crosby-dies-aged-81

guardian.jpg
-- © Copyright The Guardian 2023-01-20

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Crosby makes me think of the old Levon Helm (of The Band) line:

I didn't get into this business for my health.

He lost his girlfriend in a car accident, just as he was hitting the big time, that was the start of his addiction problems that lasted for years.

• Like 1

From the NY Times obit (paywall)

Mr. Crosby’s drug abuse may have exacerbated his medical problems, including a long battle with hepatitis C, which necessitated a liver transplant in 1994. He also suffered from type 2 diabetes and, in 2014, had to cancel a tour to endure a cardiac catheterization and angiogram.