Switching off an ED Visa by flight

- I was told by a Pattaya language school I need to "break" my Chiang Mai ED visa first, before getting their language school visa.

- Next a border run (by land) service told me the land borders are harsh to ED and volunteer visas right now. I need to fly out to a nearby country like Cambodia or Laos. Then fly back in. Chiang Mai is better to fly back to than Bangkok.

1. I would like to fly to Phnom Penh for a day or two. Or is Vientiane advised? The plan is to return to Thailand via flight into Chiang Mai. Then Chiang Mai to DMK.

Whether all this is truly necessary is a matter of debate. However, the suggestion to fly back into Chiang Mai (based on historical experience) is fairly safe. Even safer is to enter Thailand with an actual tourist visa rather than visa exempt (assuming you do not yet have the documentation to apply for the new Non Ed visa). Phnom Penh is not a great place to apply for tourist visas. I would consider flying to Hanoi. There are fairly cheap flights available from Hanoi to Chiang Mai, and the Thai embassy in Hanoi is good for a tourist visa application.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Chiang Mai is historically known to be the better choice with an actual visa in your passport i.e. tourist visa. No reports that I can remember of anyone having issues, unlike the bkk airports.

However, I've seen a few reports of long stayers being grilled flying in visa exempt. Somebody reported on here last week of being heavily grilled at Chiang Mai (part of a thread with Malaysia in the title from about a week or 2 ago) when flying in visa exempt.

If I was you I would get a TV first. If you fly in visa exempt then make sure you have your story straight, onward ticket and requesite cash on you.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I much prefer Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi, is HCMC a good Thai consulate?

To be clear visa exempt means "I fly from HCMC to Chaing Mai and get a visa on arrival."

Tourist visa means "I apply for a tourist visa while at the Thai consulate in HCMC (not in advance). Then go back the next day to get my passport and then fly to Chiang Mai."

Do I have it right?

Edited by Hal65

19 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

Tourist visa means "I apply for a tourist visa while at the Thai consulate in HCMC (not in advance). Then go back the next day to get my passport and then fly to Chiang Mai."

Do I have it right?

You have it right. If it proves possible, your plan is absolutely fine. I note that VietJet now has direct flights from HCMC to Chiang Mai which makes it a much more attractive option than formerly for those who want to enter there. One issue: you need an appointment to apply for a visa at the Thai consulate in HCMC, and this is usually only possible if booked well in advance.

• Like 1