Lost passport advice needed...

Hey everyone!

I recently lost my passport and applied for a new one in my embassy. However, my visa exempt stamp is about to expire and the new passport isn't here yet. Would there be a problem if there are 2-3 weeks overstay when I go to the airport to clear it and fly out(Laos)? I do have a copy of my last two stamps only, should I show that? It's the first time it has happened to me, so I am kind of worried and clueless. Since the passport is new, will they sort out the stamps and let me out without a hassle? 

Thanks in advance.

23 minutes ago, IndomitableSpirit said:

my visa exempt stamp is about to expire and the new passport isn't here yet. Would there be a problem if there are 2-3 weeks overstay when I go to the airport to clear it and fly out(Laos)?

If you leave from the airport with that overstay there will be no problem, you will just be charged the usual B500 per day and have that stamped in your passport. 

That you left your passport renewal too late will be looked at as your problem, there is no exemption for your situation (unless is was just one day, maybe two, if you're very lucky). 

Edit: just re-read your OP, my apologies for misreading your situation.  Re the overstay, unless you sort it out with Immigration before you got to the airport, you'll still have to pay the fine.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

5 minutes ago, Upnotover said:
9 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That you left your passport renewal too late

You mean she should have planned to lose her passport a bit earlier?

Oops, you're quite right, my apologies to the OP.   She'll still get done for the overstay, though, unless some arrangement is arrived at with Immigration before she leaves.

• Thumbs Up 2

I wonder if the Embassy can intervene and provide Immigration with ‘a document’ (I’m not sure which) which provides an extensions while awaiting arrival of the new passport. 

This can’t be the first time this has happened and the Embassy must have some official advice for the Op.

The only thing I can think of to stay 100% legal is to have the Embassy issue an emergency travel document so that the Op can leave within the validity of her permission of stay.

Of course that is a far from idea situation and adds complexity to the issue that the Ops Passport is currently in the process of renewal and will be sent to Thailand. 

I wonder if the Embassy has any direct contacts within Thai Immigration whereby mitigating circumstances can be applied. 

This doesn’t help the Op of course, but I’d be following up with the Embassy directly, meanwhile hoping someone on here has faced the same situation and can offer good advice. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I once accompanied a tourist who had lost his passport to the Canadian Consulate. He was given a temporary "passport", so that he would not be without identity & confirmation of citizenship while awaiting a replacement passport.

Thank you for all the replies so far.???????? I hate to say this but my embassy is known to be one of the worst here in BKK. I already asked them for a document and I have been told to just wait for my passport. Giving me a document is pointless according to them as I would still need to pay my overstay if ever. Some people said just show the receipt of processing and receiving my passport, then show it to the IO in the airport so they'll know I did not overstay intentionally. I have no problem paying the fine as in my situation it's inevitable.

Once I have gotten my passport, I plan to go directly to Suvanabhumi and pay the overstay, then leave for Laos. Since I don't have any stamps in my passport, what would they do? 

I did not choose the travel document because going back to my country would be a lot harder. Yes! They make it harder for their own citizens to acquire documents, passports, visas etc... The embassy offered me to expedite it for a fee which I paid, as they said it will only take 3 weeks. But it's past a month now! 

I really do appreciate all your inputs. I came here as I know there would probably be more people knowledgeable with my situation and could help me in whichever way. ????????

So an emergency passport was not available to you? I mean a sort of temporary replacement until the new one arrives with a letter Indicating the temporary nature?  Must be a sad embassy.

Edited by ThailandRyan

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So an emergency passport was not available to you? I mean a sort of temporary replacement until the new one arrives with a letter I dicating the temporary nature?  Must be a sad embassy.

In some countries an emergency travel document can only be used for the sole purpose of travelling to ones home nation (this is the case for the UK - I’m not sure what nationality the Op is). 

This seems to be one of those ‘grey areas’ in which many of us could find ourselves in without a convenient solution. The issue clearly is the amount of time it has taken to provide a replacement passport. 

I think the only solution available for the Op is to do what she has suggested already. 

Wait it out then take a flight to Laos as soon as possible.

Of course, the Op should get to the airport early to allow sufficient time for them to deal with the inevitable... oh..ah.. cannot, have to go to the immigration office etc... I think IF the Op has documentation that shows her passport was lost (i.e. police report) that immigration at Suvarnabumi would look upon the issue more favourably - the one thing I would ask is that an overstay is not placed on my record or a stamp in my passport. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IndomitableSpirit said:

Once I have gotten my passport, I plan to go directly to Suvanabhumi and pay the overstay, then leave for Laos. Since I don't have any stamps in my passport, what would they do? 

You will need the police report that reported your old passport lost. The officials will then find your record in the computer, and put stamps in your new passport indicating the immigration history, and stamp you out (fining you for the overstay assuming, as now seems very likely, this applies). Allow some extra time, but do not worry. Apart from a few questions, there is no real problem as far as Immigration is concerned.

Do not get arrested for something else while in Thailand without your passport and on overstay! This can lead to major drama, whatever your excuses.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

he only thing I can think of to stay 100% legal is to have the Embassy issue an emergency travel document so that the Op can leave within the validity of her permission of stay.

Correct.

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I wonder if the Embassy has any direct contacts within Thai Immigration whereby mitigating circumstances can be applied. 

No.

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

You will need the police report that reported your old passport lost. The officials will then find your record in the computer, and put stamps in your new passport indicating the immigration history, and stamp you out (fining you for the overstay assuming, as now seems very likely, this applies). Allow some extra time, but do not worry. Apart from a few questions, there is no real problem as far as Immigration is concerned.

Do not get arrested for something else while in Thailand without your passport and on overstay! This can lead to major drama, whatever your excuses.

By far the best answer... but personally,  maybe I would rather take the travel document, even if it's very inconvenient.  Kind of scary to be an undocumented 

alien in overstay if you don't even know when you will get a passport. 

Edited by Lorry
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So an emergency passport was not available to you? I mean a sort of temporary replacement until the new one arrives with a letter Indicating the temporary nature?  Must be a sad embassy.

Sad is an understatement. My embassy is the one that would only give full attention if you are already in so much danger, dying or dead. No one even picks up on the numbers they provided.

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

In some countries an emergency travel document can only be used for the sole purpose of travelling to ones home nation (this is the case for the UK - I’m not sure what nationality the Op is). 

This seems to be one of those ‘grey areas’ in which many of us could find ourselves in without a convenient solution. The issue clearly is the amount of time it has taken to provide a replacement passport. 

I think the only solution available for the Op is to do what she has suggested already. 

Wait it out then take a flight to Laos as soon as possible.

Of course, the Op should get to the airport early to allow sufficient time for them to deal with the inevitable... oh..ah.. cannot, have to go to the immigration office etc... I think IF the Op has documentation that shows her passport was lost (i.e. police report) that immigration at Suvarnabumi would look upon the issue more favourably - the one thing I would ask is that an overstay is not placed on my record or a stamp in my passport. 

I'm not from UK, but you are spot on about the travelling document. It wouldn't be a problem if things would be easier in my country, but like I have mentioned, it's just not that easy.

Thank you for the advice Richard, appreciated and truly helpful!????????

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, BritTim said:

Thank you oh so much BritTim!???????? You have no idea how that lessens my worry/anxiety. I have gotten more sound advice here than in my embassy, where people seem annoyed assisting their citizens.

11 minutes ago, IndomitableSpirit said:

Sad is an understatement. My embassy is the one that would only give full attention if you are already in so much danger, dying or dead. No one even picks up on the numbers they provided.

This had me convinced it was the British Embassy until your follow up response in the next reply down !!!