White Bread. Unhealthy To Eat?

NoshowJones

For taste, I prefer white bread to wheat bread although I know white bread has more calories. As I do not have a weight problem and not looking to lose weight, I eat four slices a white bread every day. 

Can this do any harm to my general health?

• Haha 1

Contrary to popular belief white bread is fine, i used to eat wholemeal, soda bread etc which came increasingly difficult to digest, switched to white and instantly much better and BTW all my bloodwork is good, low bad cholesterol etc etc, BMI very good etc. 

If you aren't pre-diabetic or diabetic don't worry about it, but monitor weight and blood as usual

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

White bread doesn't make you feel full. You also didn't mention insulin resistant people which is probably most people. The problem is that healthy people are healthy until they aren't. People don't have diabetes until they do and what triggers it is food with a high glycemic load.

https://www.uab.edu/news/research/item/12289-uab-researchers-find-that-40-percent-of-young-american-adults-have-insulin-resistance-and-cardiovascular-risk-factors

White bread does make you feel full, it fills me up for breakfast, tops me up after a not big enough meal. i noticed no difference when i switched from wholemeal to white in terms of fullness.

You reckon most people are insulin resistant? I've never read that before, but people should be monitoring their bloodwork regularly.

The American western diet is bad for you, not sure why people don't realise that

Edited by scubascuba3

Bread usually is not the problem, as it's simply a conveyance of what you put on it, which usually is the problem.

We bake our own with no sugar, so that's one negative we don't have to worry about, as if there's any.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

The American western diet is bad for you, not sure why people don't realise that

That's Standard American Diet, abbreviated as SAD.

And sad it is, as currently 43% of Americans classify as obese.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

White bread does make you feel full, it fills me up for breakfast, tops me up after a not big enough meal. i noticed no difference when i switched from wholemeal to white in terms of fullness.

You reckon most people are insulin resistant? I've never read that before, but people should be monitoring their bloodwork regularly.

White bread is not filling since it digests quickly.

43 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Is 4 thin slices a day moderation?

Should we eat white bread? The answer is a clear no.

The GI value of white bread is 73, which is exceptionally high.

If you eat white bread, make sure you consume it in moderation (once every fortnight, a single serving) as part of a balanced diet to help maintain optimal nutrition. 

https://www.healthifyme.com/blog/is-white-bread-good-for-weight-loss/

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

White bread is not filling since it digests quickly.

Should we eat white bread? The answer is a clear no.

The GI value of white bread is 73, which is exceptionally high.

If you eat white bread, make sure you consume it in moderation (once every fortnight, a single serving) as part of a balanced diet to help maintain optimal nutrition. 

https://www.healthifyme.com/blog/is-white-bread-good-for-weight-loss/

i hope you aren't overweight because i don't take nutrition advice from fat people

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

i hope you aren't overweight because i don't take nutrition advice from fat people

I didn't give you advice. I posted a quote from an article challenging an assertion you made which I believe is incorrect and my challenge is supported by the article I quoted.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Eating only 4 thin slices so you're still hungry and end up snacking is wrong, eat more, thick slices, but avoid putting junk on them, i have jam or marmite

After having two thin slices of white bread mostly toasted in the morning at breakfast with a mixture of either cornbeef, spam or marmalade, keeps me going until dinner at 4 pm, then another two slices about 8.30 in the evening.

1 minute ago, NoshowJones said:

After having two thin slices of white bread mostly toasted in the morning at breakfast with a mixture of either cornbeef, spam or marmalade, keeps me going until dinner at 4 pm, then another two slices about 8.30 in the evening.

Sounds fine, but i hope that's not all you eat, doesn't seem enough 

6 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I didn't give you advice. I posted a quote from an article challenging an assertion you made which I believe is incorrect and my challenge is supported by the article I quoted.

Eat wholemeal etc if you want, like i did but glad i switched back to white a couple years ago, maybe experiment so you have real life experience, it fills me up no problem, well a thin slice wouldn't