The Tourist Visa Online Application Form

Hello everyone.

I've booked a return flight to Thailand for a holiday going on 21 February and returning on 19 April, which is a stay of 57 days. I understand that I must obtain a tourist visa for this duration. I've been trying to complete the application form on the thaievisa.go.th website, but there are 3 things on the form that I'm unsure about. In the “Supporting Documents” section of the form, these are the requirements that I don't understand:

In part 7 it says “Confirmation of legal residence in a country in which you are applying for the visa (in case that you are not a national of the country in which you are applying for the visa).” You have to upload a document, but which document should I upload?

In part 9 it says “Identity of the person inviting you to stay e.g. Thai ID card, passport.” Nobody is inviting me because I'm going on holiday, so what document should I upload? I can't submit the application without uploading a document.

In part 11 it says “Applicant must apply for e-visa via specific embassy/consulate confirming with his/her consular jurisdiction and residency. Applicant is required to upload document that can verify his/her current residency.” Which document should I upload for this? I can't submit my application without submitting documents for all these 3 parts.

Another thing is that I've obtained visa photos from a booth especially for this purpose, and I've uploaded one of the photos, but a message appears saying it may be unacceptable because there should be a plain background and no curves on the photo. None of the photos are folded. Can I take a photo on my phone and submit that? Has anyone else had this problem?

If I decided to try to get my tourist visa in Thailand, would I be allowed to enter without a tourist visa bearing in mind that I've already booked my flights 57 days apart. 

Thank you for any help that can be given.

The first and third question I just uploaded my passport page again, not sure about the second as I used my wife's ID. Can't see why you couldn't use a photo off your phone, I had a passport photo which I scanned with my phone and uploaded. Applied Friday and got confirmation yesterday. Didn't realise you just get a piece of paper now instead of a visa in your passport ????.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, BLACKJACK2 said:

The first and third question I just uploaded my passport page again, not sure about the second as I used my wife's ID. Can't see why you couldn't use a photo off your phone, I had a passport photo which I scanned with my phone and uploaded. Applied Friday and got confirmation yesterday. Didn't realise you just get a piece of paper now instead of a visa in your passport ????.

Yeh I had to a similar thing to get mine, the site needs updating to iron out all the problems.....

In case your visa application fails for any reason you can still enter visa exempt (45 days) and easily get a 30 day extension in country.  The only issue you need to address is an onward flight within 45 days which the airline might want to see at check-in.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ian carman said:

I’m just starting my application and as stated the instructions are useless and no help to someone struggling to upload photos and any documents.Is the onward flight option 100% acceptable by the airline?flying Eva air 

An onward flight booking from one of the online agents is indistinguishable from a booking from any other agent (i.e., comes with a PNR - Passenger Name Record that can be checked in the reservation system used by airlines), but comes with the expectation that you will not pay the full-price of the ticket (only a deposit of about $15-20 which you will lose) and therefore you will not actually fly on that ticket.  Consequently the booking will only be valid for a period of time during which you will be checking in with your airline.  Thai immigration will not be concerned that you do not have an onward flight leaving Thailand during your initial permission to stay, only some airlines are concerned about this as they are potentially on the hook for flying you back if Thailand were to reject your entry.

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2023 at 11:14 PM, BLACKJACK2 said:

How did you get the photo to the 3mb size ,mine came up as 8mb

2 hours ago, ian carman said:

THAT's when a PC (or Mac) is useful - resizing pics on them is easy - not so easy on a phone, AFAIK

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ian carman said:

Simple Scanner app on my phone, scan passport photo and save as jpeg. Tried to do it on my scanner and laptop but couldn't get it small enough without losing quality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1