Help needed to clone my HDD to a SSD

Furioso

Hello, I recently bought a used HP Prodesk G3 Mini PC. It works fine but it comes with a traditional hard drive, so I'd like to clone it to my Solid State Drive. I've done this before I came to Thailand, I had a special USB cable made by "Apricorn",(along with EZ Gig IV Cloning Software).. which I can't seem to find anywhere.

Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

I would also recommend AOMEI Backupper and an external enclosure if you could not plug both HDD and SSD into the computer at the same time, but from what I remember the specs, your computer should have both M.2 NVMe socket and SATA.

Procedure is pretty simple. https://www.ubackup.com/clone/clone-larger-drive-to-smaller-drive-3889.html

If SSD is same or larger size than the current HDD, then you could just leave default settings during cloning. But basically, insert new M.2 SSD into your computer, download the demo version (good enough for cloning - link inside above linked article), select to clone from HDD to SSD with instructions above, when done, open BIOS and switch boot drive from HDD to SSD, make sure all works fine, then format HDD and use it as a data drive. Or replace that one with SATA SSD as well to have a fast second drive, too. You can then put original HDD into an external USB enclosure and use it for backup or alike.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

I would also recommend AOMEI Backupper and an external enclosure if you could not plug both HDD and SSD into the computer at the same time, but from what I remember the specs, your computer should have both M.2 NVMe socket and SATA.

Procedure is pretty simple. https://www.ubackup.com/clone/clone-larger-drive-to-smaller-drive-3889.html

If SSD is same or larger size than the current HDD, then you could just leave default settings during cloning. But basically, insert new M.2 SSD into your computer, download the demo version (good enough for cloning - link inside above linked article), select to clone from HDD to SSD with instructions above, when done, open BIOS and switch boot drive from HDD to SSD, make sure all works fine, then format HDD and use it as a data drive. Or replace that one with SATA SSD as well to have a fast second drive, too. You can then put original HDD into an external USB enclosure and use it for backup or alike.

Much quicker and less hassle to run a clean install ????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, NextG said:

Much quicker and less hassle to run a clean install ????

Unless you have something on that disk that you can't lose. In my case it would require lots of hassle to reinstall computer with all the licenses, VMs with TPM keys, etc. On some I'd need to get several approvals to do so. Hence a clone when running out of space is a 1 hour well spent vs. 2 weeks of arguing with approvers.

But yes, if home computer with basically no software on it, and all licenses handy, storing everything in cloud - a reinstall would definitely be a faster and easier option.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Unless you have something on that disk that you can't lose. In my case it would require lots of hassle to reinstall computer with all the licenses, VMs with TPM keys, etc. On some I'd need to get several approvals to do so. Hence a clone when running out of space is a 1 hour well spent vs. 2 weeks of arguing with approvers.

But yes, if home computer with basically no software on it, and all licenses handy, storing everything in cloud - a reinstall would definitely be a faster and easier option.

If you pay attention to what was written…. 

Hello, I recently bought a used HP Prodesk G3 Mini PC….”

If recently purchased second hand, what do you imagine that is on there that cannot be lost?

“Storing everything in the cloud”?? What are you writing? Everything is already on the HDD ????

Clean install is the best way. 

Edited by NextG

40 minutes ago, NextG said:

If recently purchased second hand, what do you imagine that is on there that cannot be lost?

“Storing everything in the cloud”?? What are you writing? Everything is already on the HDD ????

If you pay attention to what he asked, he was inquiring about cloning HDD to SSD. Hence both options, how to clone and how to install new should be valuable to him and anyone searching for the same under different circumstances.

So let's write the new install as well, then, shall we:

- Check exact version of operating system you have (Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Home) and write it down - while 7th generation unofficially supports Windows 11, it's likely better to stick with Windows 10 and upgrade to 11 if it offers it

- Prepare a 16 GB or larger USB stick that you can lose all data on (as it will get formatted/erased in the process)

- Get the Windows 10 installation media creator tool from: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10, scroll down a bit and click on Download Now blue button.

- Insert the USB stick (make sure you only have 1 of them inserted so you don't wipe the wrong one) into your computer and run the downloaded MediaCreationTool22H2.exe

- Choose "Create media for ANOTHER computer, NOT upgrade current computer, then the language and Edition (you could leave it at recommended settings for this computer as that's the computer you want to reinstall anyway)

- Select the USB stick you inserted as destination media (not the ISO file, and there should only be one USB drive listed as available if you unplugged all the others), and let it download and create bootable installer USB stick

- Go to BIOS and change the boot drive to USB stick (or if your system supports that, try tapping on ESC key on keyboard as soon as you turn on computer and logo shows on the screen - it might give you option of drive to boot from - choose your USB disk). To avoid mistakes, possibly before this step it would be good to open the computer, remove HDD, insert SSD. This way you can't accidentally overwrite HDD and wipe any files you wish to keep. Though you could add a folder on USB stick with Windows installer and copy any files you wish to keep there.

- Follow on-screen instructions for installing the Windows 10. While you can avoid it, it will be pushing you towards using your MS Account to login to notebook rather than local account, so perhaps Skype/Office365 email and password would be handy to have).

- Once you're done with that, locate all the antivirus and Office and other software you had before (or at least the serials for registration and download software from their official websites), install all the fonts you're missing now, etc. You could copy files (but not software) from old HDD to the SSD, if you insert it into your computer again. In that case make sure that you make changes to BIOS to make computer boot from SSD and not HDD.

- Once you're done, format HDD and use it as data partition and put it in external box and set up backup to external drive.

Is this really easier? Not sure.

54 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

If you pay attention to what he asked, he was inquiring about cloning HDD to SSD. Hence both options, how to clone and how to install new should be valuable to him and anyone searching for the same under different circumstances.

So let's write the new install as well, then, shall we:

- Check exact version of operating system you have (Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Home) and write it down - while 7th generation unofficially supports Windows 11, it's likely better to stick with Windows 10 and upgrade to 11 if it offers it

- Prepare a 16 GB or larger USB stick that you can lose all data on (as it will get formatted/erased in the process)

- Get the Windows 10 installation media creator tool from: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10, scroll down a bit and click on Download Now blue button.

- Insert the USB stick (make sure you only have 1 of them inserted so you don't wipe the wrong one) into your computer and run the downloaded MediaCreationTool22H2.exe

- Choose "Create media for ANOTHER computer, NOT upgrade current computer, then the language and Edition (you could leave it at recommended settings for this computer as that's the computer you want to reinstall anyway)

- Select the USB stick you inserted as destination media (not the ISO file, and there should only be one USB drive listed as available if you unplugged all the others), and let it download and create bootable installer USB stick

- Go to BIOS and change the boot drive to USB stick (or if your system supports that, try tapping on ESC key on keyboard as soon as you turn on computer and logo shows on the screen - it might give you option of drive to boot from - choose your USB disk). To avoid mistakes, possibly before this step it would be good to open the computer, remove HDD, insert SSD. This way you can't accidentally overwrite HDD and wipe any files you wish to keep. Though you could add a folder on USB stick with Windows installer and copy any files you wish to keep there.

- Follow on-screen instructions for installing the Windows 10. While you can avoid it, it will be pushing you towards using your MS Account to login to notebook rather than local account, so perhaps Skype/Office365 email and password would be handy to have).

- Once you're done with that, locate all the antivirus and Office and other software you had before (or at least the serials for registration and download software from their official websites), install all the fonts you're missing now, etc. You could copy files (but not software) from old HDD to the SSD, if you insert it into your computer again. In that case make sure that you make changes to BIOS to make computer boot from SSD and not HDD.

- Once you're done, format HDD and use it as data partition and put it in external box and set up backup to external drive.

Is this really easier? Not sure.

Yes, much easier. You have just written it in an unnecessarily long winded manner. 

“Check exact version of operating system you have (Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Home) and write it down”

Why? ????

Why would they need to go into the BIOS to boot from USB? Why not directly to the Boot Menu?

You are still writing a lot of nonsense with regard to fonts etc, for a recently purchased second hand PC. 
Clean install is always best if you have just been installing stuff on top of someone else’s installation. 

I want to thank everyone for their helpful replies, you've definitely opened my eyes to many different solutions. I used to be on top of the latest technology but please forgive me I'm getting old and rusty! Based on your suggestions I'm going to buy and install a 500 GB NVMe SSD, they seem to run for about 1,600 Baht on Lazada. This seems like the best, easiest solution..once I get the NVMe working I'll replace the HDD with my SATA 2.5 SSD. And to show how rusty I am I did not realize I that I could clone to a NVMe! 

As for how I ended up in this situation. I moved to Thailand 5 months ago. Before moving here I gave away my old PC and bought a new Acer Swift 3(Win 10) laptop off Amazon. It initially ran great but my 2nd week here the motherboard crapped out. I tried to get it fixed at Acer in Tukcom but the Thai version of Acer Swift 3 is a different motherboard, so I gave up and bought the used HP Pro Desk G3 mini I have now. I loved that Acer Swift 3 as it was my first new laptop since 2010. It had thumbprint, fast SSD, lighted keyboard, great screen and it's an ultralight weighing way less than 2 lbs. It was new but maybe on the shelf a long time and bound to break like it did, don't know for sure but now it sit's in the bottom of my closet dammit. 

Thanks again for all your help!

5 hours ago, NextG said:

You "sort of" paid attention, but then made too many assumptions.

Without sufficient details it is best to answer OP's actual question and perhaps suggest an alternative that is workable given your assumptions.

If the used computer has applications that OP would like to keep.... it becomes much more complicated to do a clean install followed by reinstallation and re-registration of those apps especially if the original registration details are not available.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

Without sufficient details it is best to answer OP's actual question and perhaps suggest an alternative that is workable given your assumptions.

If the used computer has applications that OP would like to keep.... it becomes much more complicated to do a clean install followed by reinstallation and re-registration of those apps especially if the original registration details are not available.

I see it the same way. Cloning the HDD to SSD pretty much works on its own. If the OP later sees that a clean install is better for some reason, he can always do it. 

• Like 1

OP, you can buy usb docking stations that do cloning, literally put both drives in the dock and press a button, no software or computer required. Later you can use the dock to make the old drive a usb drive.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/clone-docking-station-25-35-dual-bays-sata-to-usb-30-

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, you can buy usb docking stations that do cloning, literally put both drives in the dock and press a button, no software or computer required. Later you can use the dock to make the old drive a usb drive.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/clone-docking-station-25-35-dual-bays-sata-to-usb-30-

That's a good way to clone SATA to SATA, but not SATA to NVMe. SATA is limited to about 600 MB/s while NVMe can go to >5 GB/s in version 4. Hence if NVMe is present, you should use it. Cost of SATA 2.5" and M.2 NVMe is probably in favour of M.2 stick, when considering same brand and same capacity.

I would also note that cloning the disk (which with the AOMEI software is literally a few mouse clicks) all the drivers and licenses get copied over. Agree fresh os installs are a solution sometimes but it can also be a pain in the ass finding old drivers for accessories long since discontinued. That said in this instance i recommend something like Driver Easy. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Hey Peterw42, I had seen these devices but really didn't know what they were..as I thought they could only be used as a HDD/SSD dock and not clone devices. This looks like it will do the job quick and easy.  Thanks!

15 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I wouldn't use that for cloning. You don't get any error messages. I have a similar docking station for 2 disks. Great if you need external drives and don't want to use an enclosure.

The good thing about mine is that it doesn't put the discs into sleep mode (some do). I don't like these starts and stops. You will have reduced access time and increased wear & tear.

17 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

Blah blah…. Clean install is best, especially since they haven’t been using it for very long. Bite the bullet and do it properly now, rather than everything sitting on top of someone else’s install. 

18 hours ago, Furioso said:

I want to thank everyone for their helpful replies, you've definitely opened my eyes to many different solutions. I used to be on top of the latest technology but please forgive me I'm getting old and rusty! Based on your suggestions I'm going to buy and install a 500 GB NVMe SSD, they seem to run for about 1,600 Baht on Lazada. This seems like the best, easiest solution..once I get the NVMe working I'll replace the HDD with my SATA 2.5 SSD. And to show how rusty I am I did not realize I that I could clone to a NVMe! 

As for how I ended up in this situation. I moved to Thailand 5 months ago. Before moving here I gave away my old PC and bought a new Acer Swift 3(Win 10) laptop off Amazon. It initially ran great but my 2nd week here the motherboard crapped out. I tried to get it fixed at Acer in Tukcom but the Thai version of Acer Swift 3 is a different motherboard, so I gave up and bought the used HP Pro Desk G3 mini I have now. I loved that Acer Swift 3 as it was my first new laptop since 2010. It had thumbprint, fast SSD, lighted keyboard, great screen and it's an ultralight weighing way less than 2 lbs. It was new but maybe on the shelf a long time and bound to break like it did, don't know for sure but now it sit's in the bottom of my closet dammit. 

Thanks again for all your help!

Shocking….

I would have contacted ACER in the country where you bought it, to organise a new motherboard, if you think it the motherboard that has gone. Maybe they can ship the part to the ACER service centre in Chonburi. 

7 hours ago, NextG said:

Shocking….

I would have contacted ACER in the country where you bought it, to organise a new motherboard, if you think it the motherboard that has gone. Maybe they can ship the part to the ACER service centre in Chonburi. 

I did contact them but they absolutely refused, saying the warranty was only good back in the home country. The Acer store here sent my Swift 3 to Bangkok, but they couldn't fix it. I never thought I'd run into a situation where I couldn't get a laptop fixed, but that's what happened. 

7 hours ago, Furioso said:

I did contact them but they absolutely refused, saying the warranty was only good back in the home country. The Acer store here sent my Swift 3 to Bangkok, but they couldn't fix it. I never thought I'd run into a situation where I couldn't get a laptop fixed, but that's what happened. 

I would look at the cost of sending and receiving it to the country of purchase; having them fix it under warranty.