the birds that roost at dusk, and "sing," on Thanon Suthep

orang37

i found a recording of the sing-along: they sing !

but, have not been able to find the species name.

there are other places i know of where they roost, some on very heavily trafficked roads.

thanks ~o:37;

p.s. could they be nok iang (Mynahs) ?

11 minutes ago, orang37 said:

p.s. could they be nok iang (Mynahs) ?

They really sound like it, we have lots of them nesting in the neighbours trees and that sound is what we hear every evening before night fall.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

They’re not singing, they’re screaming at each other. They do well after dusk when it’s dark out. I suppose they’re discussing the days events to each other loudly because they can’t hear one another because of their loud screeches. 

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, 0james0 said:

they’re screaming at each other.

What sounds do you make when you roost ?

Since I was a mynah in another life, I know they are making joyful music about coming home to the safety of the roost, about dusk, about the wonder of surviving another day, and finding food.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2023 at 12:53 AM, orang37 said:

Since I was a mynah in another life, I know they are making joyful music about coming home to the safety of the roost, about dusk, about the wonder of surviving another day, and finding food.

Joyful music? Sorry no not music. It’s a bunch of birds screeching and squawking at each other. Just because it’s a bird doesn’t make it a singer 

The entire village rumbles from my reverberations throughout the night while I peacefully roost with earplugs to mute my snout music 

Edited by 0james0

On 1/26/2023 at 8:19 PM, 0james0 said:

They’re not singing, they’re screaming at each other. They do well after dusk when it’s dark out. I suppose they’re discussing the days events to each other loudly because they can’t hear one another because of their loud screeches. 

That description fits perfectly the group of Women in a house about a hundred metres from me.....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 0james0 said:

Joyful music? Sorry no not music. It’s a bunch of birds screeching and squawking at each other. Just because it’s a bird doesn’t make it a singer 

One hears what one wants to hear I guess. It’s a shame the average hooman is so detached from nature and the universe. Certainly preferable over the constant din of those clanky, smoke-belching metallic things known as cars.

These guys are likely calling to others in their flock to make sure they’re there. Mass gatherings: safety in numbers. Likely the myna or starling yes. I miss CM’s birds.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 8:19 PM, 0james0 said:

Much like Thai women  :jap:

On 1/27/2023 at 12:59 AM, LennyW said:

Starlings.

In the night they will congregate in the cities where it’s warmer and less humidity/moisture. Very noisy right after dark, wouldn’t say it’s music unless one likes C grade junk metal “music”????