Latest DLT for license renewal

1happykamper

18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

You have to go and get an appointment first. Apparently the depth perception test is broken or removed, for now anyway

Out in the middle of nowhere and they make you make a trip just to schedule when to come back again.  That doesn't seem very user friendly does it.  Well, perhaps the scheduled appointment eliminates a lot of otherwise long que waiting.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, OneZero said:

Out in the middle of nowhere and they make you make a trip just to schedule when to come back again.  That doesn't seem very user friendly does it.  Well, perhaps the scheduled appointment eliminates a lot of otherwise long que waiting.

User friendly? come on this is Thailand, they couldn't care less, same with Immigration 

Not a snowball in hells chance of getting it the same day.  I renewed mine 3 weeks ago and it was a case of:

1.  Going to immigration to get residence certificate (2 separate trips over 2 days as immigration was jam packed).

2. Going to DLT to make appointment.   They only have 70 appointments in the morning and 30 in the afternoon.   Note this is not an appointment to actually get the licence, it's just an appointment to get the documents checked and then make an appointment to get the licence.   I got there about 10:30 in the morning and there were no more appointments for the morning so I was told to come back in the afternoon.   Due to me not really understanding the process I asked her a few questions and the time it took her to explain why I needed to come back in the afternoon took longer than the 2 minutes it took to check docs and make appointment when I returned in the afternoon.   During this part there was also lots of agents queue jumping so this can waste a lot of your time even if your number is next to be called you can end up waiting a long time as any agents will go straight to front of queue.  

3. Actual appointment to do the colour test and reaction test was scheduled for about a week later.   Lots of waiting around, but got the licence same day and took about 3 hours total.

On the bright side the girl who did the document check didn't realise I was only entitled to a 2 year extension with my visa and not a 5 year licence so I managed to swag a 5 year one.  

You might be able to reduce some of the time wasting by using an agent, but the guy I was chatting to there who did use an agent said it cost him 5000.   That cost provides the ability to queue jump the initial document check, but still requires you to make (I think) 2 trips to DLT, as it seemed the agent cannot get the documents checked and the actual appointment for the licence without you physically being there so not sure how much value they add other than a bit of queue jumping.  

• Thanks 1

DL is not part of the joy living in Pattaya ????

My recent 5yr/5yr extension started at 11:30 at the doctor, 12:00 walked in at the office no appointment, 13:00 tests, about 15:00 having new license.

(I don't need res.cert., have yellow book/pink card which is accepted here in contrast to Pattaya?)

Edited by KhunBENQ

17 hours ago, OneZero said:

As someone who lives out in the middle of nowhere I have no problem with the location.... but the irony is they make me go to immigration to get a residence certificate, which is my 'middle of nowhere!'

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/27/2023 at 5:25 PM, James105 said:

Not a snowball in hells chance of getting it the same day.  I renewed mine 3 weeks ago and it was a case of:

1.  Going to immigration to get residence certificate (2 separate trips over 2 days as immigration was jam packed).

2. Going to DLT to make appointment.   They only have 70 appointments in the morning and 30 in the afternoon.   Note this is not an appointment to actually get the licence, it's just an appointment to get the documents checked and then make an appointment to get the licence.   I got there about 10:30 in the morning and there were no more appointments for the morning so I was told to come back in the afternoon.   Due to me not really understanding the process I asked her a few questions and the time it took her to explain why I needed to come back in the afternoon took longer than the 2 minutes it took to check docs and make appointment when I returned in the afternoon.   During this part there was also lots of agents queue jumping so this can waste a lot of your time even if your number is next to be called you can end up waiting a long time as any agents will go straight to front of queue.  

3. Actual appointment to do the colour test and reaction test was scheduled for about a week later.   Lots of waiting around, but got the licence same day and took about 3 hours total.

On the bright side the girl who did the document check didn't realise I was only entitled to a 2 year extension with my visa and not a 5 year licence so I managed to swag a 5 year one.  

You might be able to reduce some of the time wasting by using an agent, but the guy I was chatting to there who did use an agent said it cost him 5000.   That cost provides the ability to queue jump the initial document check, but still requires you to make (I think) 2 trips to DLT, as it seemed the agent cannot get the documents checked and the actual appointment for the licence without you physically being there so not sure how much value they add other than a bit of queue jumping.  

Did you get a medical exam cert? 

On 1/30/2023 at 9:21 PM, 1happykamper said:

Did you get a medical exam cert? 

Yes, you need that too but this is quick and easy.   I just used a clinic on Soi Buakhao and was in/out in about 10 minutes with the certificate.   This is the least painful part of the process.   

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Odinrex said:

If you got both motorbike and car, do you need two of everything? Res cert and med cert?

No, not if you do the licenses at the same time..... a copy is okay. Mind you, immigration will tell you otherwise. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/27/2023 at 12:49 PM, OneZero said:

Out in the middle of nowhere and they make you make a trip just to schedule when to come back again.  

Myself and friends whom live in Pattaya know the clusterfeck that is Banglamung LTD.

20 to 30 mins down Suk rd is Sriracha LTD.

Friend renewed both bike and car licences 2 weeks.......... all done within an hour,  no a appointment needed.

• Like 2

On 1/27/2023 at 1:57 PM, giddyup said:

I renewed my 5 year a couple of months ago and the perception test has been dropped. Only colour and brake tests.

Never had a problem with the depth perception and I would make one of the first places in a brake test competition. But the problem is - they changed the colour test procedure as well and replaced the old card board circle (which I find somewhat easy) with a machine looking like an actual red light where any colour may pop up randomly in any of the 3 places. I find this test much much harder to do and I actually made many mistakes I think. But they let me continue until I had sampled enough right guesses I must conclude. He let me pass then.

45 minutes ago, smedly said:

for 5yr renewal you don't need med cert, your renewal is like this I believe - ist licence 1 yr - 2nd 2yrs - 3rd 4th etc 5yr

2 years for provisional or non-long stay visa. Now medical on all renewals at my office..

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/27/2023 at 12:49 PM, OneZero said:

:violin:Try living on Koh Chang we have to take the ferry twice so add 1k in fares just to renew license, but hey it's only every six years init.