Lady almost throws up after finding an uncooked fish head in her Som Tam

webfact

image.jpeg

Naew Na Short Cap: (She) almost threw up!

Naew Na reported on a 'food drama' contained in a TikTok post under the name fahsai.xs.

A lady had found an apparently raw fish head (Pla Mor) in her Som Tam (papaya salad) among the crabs and pla raa (fermented fish).

The poster said it was all true, not just for content purposes. 

Utilizing hashtags, she said she'd been eating it for ten years and never seen anything like it.

She'd been to the loo five times in an effort to get it all out of her mouth and had nearly thrown up the rest of her stomach contents. 

Comment was understandably rife.

Som Tam is perhaps one of Thailand's most iconic dishes though most foreigners might prefer the "TamThai" variety that forgoes the crabs and pickled fish, notes ASEAN NOW. 

How do you like your Som Tam?

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-01-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Haha 2

I eat the fermented fish and crab here - only made me sick the first time.

That fish head looks very fresh, the eyes haven't glazed over yet - maybe someone likes them that way. I can only wonder at the parasites that could still be in it as I presume it's fresh water fish - not good at all. 

• Like 1

I would say it is quite easy,the fish head must have come from the Ber-lar ,the fermented fish ,Pla Mor is oftern used in Ber-Lar .

If she was revolted by the fish head she should have ordered Som -Tam -Thai ,that does not have the fermented fish and crabs ,she ordered Som-Tam-Lao that does have the full works .

Looks fresh and delicious.  Nothing wrong with eating it.  Does she eat sushi? 

I'd rather eat that fish head than the black crabs. 

And, I bet the posters slagging off Thais eating raw stuff have all eaten raw salmom, fish eggs, and even beef (carpaccio)  in a fancy farang restaurant.

Edited by jak2002003

2 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Looks fresh and delicious.  Nothing wrong with eating it.  Does she eat sushi? 

I'd rather eat that fish head than the black crabs. 

And, I bet the posters slagging off Thais eating raw stuff have all eaten raw salmom, fish eggs, and even beef (carpaccio)  in a fancy farang restaurant.

Never heard of liver flukes? They are common in raw and undercooked crabs, fish, shellfish. Perhaps it explins why Thailand had one of th highest rates of liver cancer in the world....it not just thelao khao!

• Like 1