London's West End: Man crushed by telescopic urinal dies

Scott

A police tent is erected at Cambridge Circus on the junction between Shaftesbury Avenue and Charing Cross Road in London, after a man died after being crushed by a telescopic urinal

A man died after he was crushed and trapped underneath a telescopic public urinal while working on the device in central London.

He was pronounced dead at the scene at Cambridge Circus during a rescue effort at the junction between Shaftesbury Avenue and Charing Cross Road.

Pop-up toilets are stored underground and raised hydraulically to street level at night for people to use.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-64430454

BBC.jpg

15 hours ago, nauseus said:

Poor guy, that is not the way that anyone should go. RIP.

Telescopic toilets coming out of the ground in the middle of the night? Why don't they just have public conveniences anymore? People often need to take a pee when the sun's up too!  

The council can be blamed for closing many of London's public toilets. Beginning of this century there were plenty, but slowly closed permanently, or "under repair".

Last time I visited I had to buy something at McDonalds to use their loo. It's an absolute disgrace and shame on the council for it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The council can be blamed for closing many of London's public toilets. Beginning of this century there were plenty, but slowly closed permanently, or "under repair".

Last time I visited I had to buy something at McDonalds to use their loo. It's an absolute disgrace and shame on the council for it.

Much better to use a hotel's facilities if you're in the centre of London. Or those in a department store.