Nong Khai border bounce with Lao girlfriend to get another 45 day visa exempt entry

Sounds like a trip to Mexico… asked the street taco vendor if it’s ok to walk around the area and drink beer…. No problemo as long as federally doesn’t see you…. Yes we walked around drinking beers.. it was vacation ….

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I stayed with my Lao GF in her village many times - we just had a 'drink' with the village headman and there were no issues.  We're now married with a child, although our UK marriage is not recognised in Laos, and a house in the village, and it still seems OK.  I wouldn't risk a hotel though, as you're dependent on the hotel staff who may have a financial interest in tipping off the authorities.

Can a foreigner & Laos national go on the title of the house/land if they are married and buy it together?

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You are wrong.

It was changed to two 30 day entries per calendar year in 2015.

Now until 31st March via land border crossings, is it 30 day entries or 45 days entries given to eligible countries who previously were given 30 days? Just want to make sure of this, otherwise I'll have to look at flying instead.

Edited by bbi1

26 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Now until 31st March via land border crossings, is it 30 day entries or 45 days entries given to eligible countries who previously were given 30 days? Just want to make sure of this, otherwise I'll have to look at flying instead.

It 45 days until March 31st.

It may be 45 days for the rest of the year if approved by the government.

30 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Can a foreigner & Laos national go on the title of the house/land if they are married and buy it together?

I have no idea.  My wife owns the land on which we built our house.  I have no wish to live there for any length of time, so happy that it's all hers!

On 1/30/2023 at 3:42 PM, youreavinalaff said:

From Gov.UK website regarding travel advice for Lao:

"The Lao government prohibits sexual relationships between foreign and Lao nationals, except when the two parties have been married in accordance with Lao family law. Permission for marriage or engagement to a Lao national must be submitted in a formal application to the Lao authorities.  Penalties for engaging in prohibited sexual contact or failing to register a relationship range from US$500 to US$5,000 and may involve imprisonment. It is not unknown for Lao authorities to demand entry into hotel rooms or guesthouses where they suspect this regulation is being broken."

Wow!