Nong Khai border bounce with Lao girlfriend to get another 45 day visa exempt entry

I've already done two 45 day visa exempt entries via BKK airport plus 30 day extensions during end of 2022. This is about to come to an end so I'll need to exit and come back in again.

I'm looking at doing a land border bounce via Nong Khai and stay in Vientianne for 2 nights then coming back to Thailand again to get another 45 day visa exempt entry, then do another 30 day extension. This will be my 1st ever land border crossing. I will also spend these 2 nights at a hotel in Vientianne with my girlfriend. We are not married. Will any of these things I've got planned be an issue? (The border bounce or staying in a Laos hotel with girlfriend as a non-married couple)

Edited by bbi1
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

3 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

What about staying in a Vientianne hotel with Lao girlfriend as a non-married couple, is this risky?

Someone will be along with first hand experience.

I know of a guy that got into some issues however that was staying with Lao gf family. 

Had significant issues. 

Vientiane....I doubt it very much an issue. 

1 minute ago, youreavinalaff said:

From Gov.UK website regarding travel advice for Lao

I have seen that previously.

Similar rules applied in Vietnam however that seems to not be enforced.

Certainly not in tourist areas such as Old Quarter Hanoi and District 1 Saigon. 

Doubt if it would be an issue in Vientiane. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

A poster on a forum for expats in Thailand Vs Gov UK? I know who I'd rather take advice from. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, BritTim said:

As long as your girlfriend is Thai (and not Lao) there is no problem.

She is Lao. She said to me it's no problems as far as it's not staying in her village. I've read online about the issues with non-married couples so I'm not 100% convinced that it will be safe to stay in a hotel with her in Vientianne, even if she told me "no problem"

Edited by bbi1

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

A poster on a forum for expats in Thailand Vs Gov UK? I know who I'd rather take advice from. 

I know who I would take notice of.

Actually someone that is familiar with first hand experience.

Just checked some Laos discussion forums and as expected not an issue.

This is specifically referring to tourist places such as this thread staying couple nights in some random hotel Vientiane. 

No issue. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

I stayed in a hotel in Vientiane with my Lao girlfriend last year without any issues. She also said this would not be possible in her home province. 

Was this at one of the small cheaper hotels or more expensive hotels? Did you book the hotel online via a site like Agoda or Booking dot com and just put one name on the reservation, but book the room for 2 people?

Edited by bbi1

2 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

In this case, the UK government's advice is correct. However, in general, the UK's travel advice is of dubious value.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Was this at one of the small cheaper hotels or more expensive hotels? Did you book the hotel online via a site like Agoda or Booking dot com and just put one name on the reservation, but book the room for 2 people?

It was Aaron Hotel. Just mid-low range I guess. I contacted them directly through email as coming out of Covid it wasn't really clear from the booking sites which places were operating. They only asked for my details and never asked for any ID from my girlfriend. She talked to the reception staff a few times and nothing was said at all. We had a couple of nights and then a bigger room for her daughter and mother to stay too. Mostly younger Vietnamese there at the time. Just asked her and she says nothing to worry about in Vientiane.   

• Like 1

I've stay in 2 different hotels with a Laotian girl, both times I checked in alone then she came later from her own place and still not a words said, even when walking past reception in the morning. No problems. I stayed in Memory Hotel near the river, and another hotel near the river can't remember the name

• Like 1

A story from around 10 years ago, may have originated on a backpacker website.

Backpacker girl in Vang Vien gets shirtfaced drunk, takes Lao boy back to her room.  Wakes up in the morning and boy is gone, so are some of her things.  She tells the innkeeper, who calls the police.  She tells them her story, they tell her she is now a criminal.  She didn't get banged up, but I would think it made a hole in her holiday budget.

On the lighter side: a bunch of farang are sitting around putting away beers in VTE and when the subject of companionship comes up one of them mentions the no sex with foreigners law.  Half of the guys never heard of this before, and are remarking they'll save their punting for when they return to LOS.  When the hub-bub dies down after a few moments, it is the Aussie who asks "how long do they lock you up for?"

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, bbi1 said:

What about staying in a Vientianne hotel with Lao girlfriend as a non-married couple, is this risky?

Why not messaging the hotel to find out?

I don't see any other 'problems', at least in Vientiane, but it might be against the hotel's policy, so I would contact them, if I were you.

16 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

But is it worth the risk? Surely the OP can spend two nights away from his girlfriend rather than take a chance?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bbi1 said:

She is Lao. She said to me it's no problems as far as it's not staying in her village. I've read online about the issues with non-married couples so I'm not 100% convinced that it will be safe to stay in a hotel with her in Vientianne, even if she told me "no problem"

I stayed with my Lao GF in her village many times - we just had a 'drink' with the village headman and there were no issues.  We're now married with a child, although our UK marriage is not recognised in Laos, and a house in the village, and it still seems OK.  I wouldn't risk a hotel though, as you're dependent on the hotel staff who may have a financial interest in tipping off the authorities.

• Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, Expat68 said:

I thought you only get 15 days with land entry? Could be wrong, can't keep up with these visa changes????

Lol you are correct that you cant keep up with changes. This changed about 7 to 8 years ago.

Edited by jimn

1 hour ago, JayClay said:

"Dear hotel. I am wanting to break the law in your establishment. Would you please confirm that this acceptable under your booking policy"

Or, "Could you tell me whether you accept a couple (Laotian/whatever) when booking a double room...?" - If the hotel thinks you'd break the law they will probably tell you. Also, they may ask if you're married to clarify. (Not everyone in the world knows about such a law or regulation in Laos.)

Edited by StayinThailand2much