Wild bird with significant whistle – you know it? (photo)

Hello,

bigger parts of Thailand have that "whistling bird". The whistle sounds rather man-made, not unpleasant, not singing, but not croaking either.

The "whistling bird" sits usually unvisibly high up in the tree and lets off a whistle regularly, maybe over hours. It is a signature sound of upcountry Thailand, but can be heard in urban centers too.

At least 2 or 3 luukthung-morlam songs feature that whistling, among them this song (Youtube) at 0:10 and at 0:17 (maybe imitated in studio, but not wholly unrealistic).

Who knows that kind of bird?

Actually I belive it is the bird from the photo below, but am not sure. That bird from the photo below roams the ground floor with macho swagger in small gangs and doesn't whistle at all. When whistling, it seems to perch solitarily in the canopy, perhaps calling out for a lovely feathered maiden.

Who can identify

- the "whistling bird"

- the pictured bird

whether they are one of a kind or not?

Thanks!

_screen_2023-01-30_193520.jpg

Edited by henrik2000

Myna bird Thais /Issan people call it Nok eyoung !

One of my favorites ! 

Lol just listen to the Yt morllem song its not a myna bird  sorry.

I have this bird in the back jungle next to my house . I don’t like their pitch , its to high . Reminds me of the Japanese / American  WW11 movie scenes.

I dont know the name  I nic named it the pau lao bird !  

Edited by riclag

Hi all, thanks for good advise and for good stories!

The "whistling bird" is indeed that Asian Koel and not the bird photographed. Interestingly, in the video from South India it seems to talk in another local dialect, while across Thailand it always seemed to have the same vernacular.

5 hours ago, riclag said:

Nok eyoung

Ok, "nok" is bird, but could you translate "eyoung"? And would that be Bangkok Thai or Isaan/Lao or both?

3 minutes ago, henrik2000 said:

The "whistling bird" is indeed that Asian Koel and not the bird photographed. Interestingly, in the video from South India it seems to talk in another local dialect, while across Thailand it always seemed to have the same vernacular.

Ok, "nok" is bird, but could you translate "eyoung"? And would that be Bangkok Thai or Isaan/Lao or both?

นกเอี้ยง is Thai for the myna, the 'nok eyoung' ('iang' maybe as an alternative spelling). 
นกกาเหว่า is the koel, 'nok gaawao' (the Thai name coming from its call).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, henrik2000 said:

Sorry, the lady of the house doesn’t know the history behind the name.

she thinks it A Issan name . This bird hangs out with Buffaloes ( kwai) ,pecking the bugs off their backs.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, riclag said:

Sorry, the lady of the house doesn’t know the history behind the name.

she thinks it A Issan name . This bird hangs out with Buffaloes ( kwai) ,pecking the bugs off their backs.

Ok, thanks, so "eyoung" isn't a regular Thai or Isaan word - except for that bird.

Edited by henrik2000

4 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

นกเอี้ยง is Thai for the myna, the 'nok eyoung' ('iang' maybe as an alternative spelling). 
นกกาเหว่า is the koel, 'nok gaawao' (the Thai name coming from its call).

Thanks, interesting.

Screenshot_20230131-085535.png

Edited by henrik2000

12 hours ago, henrik2000 said:

bigger parts of Thailand have that "whistling bird". The whistle sounds rather man-made, not unpleasant, not singing, but not croaking either.

It is a mina bird. They go around in packs and can even learn some basic words. Super clever birds. I love to watch them because even if they are clever they do the stupidest things. I once saw one fall off a wall... wonderfully funny birds.

• Confused 1