Can I add an external USB Hard Drive to an All-in-one PC to free up space on C/: DRIVE

steven100

9 minutes ago, MJCM said:

As an Admin

run:

%windir%\system32\compmgmt.msc /s

Go to Storage - Disk Management and make a Screenshot of that, I can't hardly believe that your System only comes with 57GiB HDD, but it doesn't surprise me either.

You can move your Documents Folders quite easily but if YOU only have a 57 GiB drive then you would have to attach a Large USB drive and leave it attached when starting your system.

STORAGE.PNG.8a58fa045e9cc12bf7d095400f44f7ba.PNG

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, NextG said:

If so, you’ll need to upgrade using an 8GB or more USB Flash drive, creating installation media on that and running the upgrade from there. 
But first you need to clear some more space just so the PC can do it’s job. 

Go back to Windows C Properties as you have shown a few posts above and click on Disk Cleanup. Once you have clicked on that you will see a new option of Clean Up System Files… click on that. 
It will tell you how much potential space you may regain. Now place a tick in the box of Windows Update Clean-up and then click on OK. 

I do that every few days and get around 300MB from system file clean up ..

Just now, steven100 said:

I do that every few days and get around 300MB from system file clean up ..

Then you have 2 options left

1- Take it to a shop and ask if they can Increase the size (if that is at all possible)

2- Have an External HDD (connected via USB) (preferably with it's OWN power Supply) connected all the time to your PC and MOVE your Documents over.

Moving Documents over is easy

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/configuration-of-the-my-documents-folder-dfd9a90d-8f80-18d6-e7cc-f1566fc3b10b

and then read: How to Change the My Documents Folder Storage Location a bit further down.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, MJCM said:

1- Take it to a shop and ask if they can Increase the size (if that is at all possible)

2- Have an External HDD (connected via USB) (preferably with it's OWN power Supply) connected all the time to your PC and MOVE your Documents over.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/configuration-of-the-my-documents-folder-dfd9a90d-8f80-18d6-e7cc-f1566fc3b10b

and then read: How to Change the My Documents Folder Storage Location a bit further down.

yes ....  I agree ...    now I can have the external connected permanently,  and move all my stuff ( non-syst) files over and they will still show on the desktop as usual ?   I mean files, pics, videos, shortcuts etc ...  ???

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

yes ....  I agree ...    now I can have the external connected permanently,  and move all my stuff ( non-syst) files over and they will still show on the desktop as usual ?   I mean files, pics, videos, shortcuts etc ...  ???

Your external disk will be mounted as a new drive letter, you can, if you want, add shortcuts on your desktop to whatever directories/files you wish.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, MJCM said:

So I think it's buy a 512GB external HDD and shift all my stuff over onto that ...  and continue using that 512GB for anything I want to keep,,, and let the 57GB PC system run the WIN 10 ..  ?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Take the PC to a shop who has worked on this brand ( storm all-in-one ) and have him increase RAM and bigger C/: drive install if possible.   ?

Basically yes.

RAM and (hard) disk are independent from each other.

Maybe you only need a bigger "disk". These days it makes sense to buy a SSD instead of a HDD. The SSD is not mechanic and a lot faster. A size of 512GB should be enough for most cases.

You need (more) RAM if you use several programs at the same time or "big" programs like Photoshop or something like that. If you use just one program and your PC is fast and then, when you open another program or two or three and the computer is a lot slower then you need more RAM.

And maybe it is easy to upgrade your PC to more RAM. But maybe it is impossible or only very limited. And if that is the case then it's time for a new PC. Because if you can't have enough RAM then there is no point in spending money on a new SSD.

6 minutes ago, steven100 said:

So I think it's buy a 512GB external HDD and shift all my stuff over onto that ...  and continue using that 512GB for anything I want to keep,,, and let the 57GB PC system run the WIN 10 ..  ?

Personally, if possible, I would have the SSD fitted internally and scrap the eMMC partition altogether. 

Just now, NextG said:

Personally, if possible, I would have the SSD fitted internally and scrap the eMMC partition altogether. 

Agree, but on those very basic systems (all in one) would that be at all possible.?

2 minutes ago, NextG said:

I tend to agree ....  although I'm not keen to lug it to the shop and there's alot of bank stuff & personal info on it ......    I just think the external HDD is the easiest solution and will increase memory

• Like 1

Just now, steven100 said:

I tend to agree ....  although I'm not keen to lug it to the shop and there's alot of bank stuff & personal info on it ......    I just think the external HDD is the easiest solution and will increase memory

Agree, but get the external (512 GiB) then copy all your data over. Delete it from C:\ and then take it to the shop. 

Or buy 2 drives and use one as Backup, because as you know HDD can fail

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, NextG said:

yes ... I seen that video about 3 months back .....   so it seems he's the guy who knows this model.  Might have my thai friend give him a call and ask if can or cannot increase / add RAM and/or SDD

it's a good PC and take up little space ...  I only paid 3-4k 2.5yrs ago

Edited by steven100
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Agree, but get the external (512 GiB) then copy all your data over. Delete it from C:\ and then take it to the shop. 

Or buy 2 drives and use one as Backup, because as you know HDD can fail

I didn’t see a suitable SATA connector for a 2.5” drive whilst viewing the video. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, steven100 said:

aha .... so a SATA connection point needed for external HDD's    right ?

No, NextG was talking about for an internal drive, you'd be using one of the USB3 ports for an external.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, steven100 said:

it's a good PC and take up little space ...  I only paid 3-4k 2.5yrs ago

I'm afraid it's not and, personally, I wouldn't spend another single baht on it except for maybe moving some files to an external USB3 hard drive (if those 4 USB ports are actually coloured correctly).

If EVERYTHING you do on it is via web browser, I might consider installing Chome OS Flex on it, but with your level of PC knowledge (I'm trying to help here, not flame), that's probably not a good idea.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NextG said:

I didn’t see a suitable SATA connector for a 2.5” drive whilst viewing the video. 

I meant 2 external Drives. One for his "moved" Documents and the other one as Backup. Sorry if not clear enough

• Thumbs Up 1