Can I add an external USB Hard Drive to an All-in-one PC to free up space on C/: DRIVE

steven100

On 2/1/2023 at 12:57 AM, steven100 said:

This looks interesting ...

image.png.d669d9c80f1827a00bafed1060481d24.png

I would get the next one up for 15,000 baht as it has an SSD.  It will be a lot faster, for only a little more money, more energy efficient and reliable.  

Why does it need to be an all in one?  What's wrong with using a laptop?  If you look at laptops, you will see you have way more options to chose from. 

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

I would get the next one up for 15,000 baht as it has an SSD.  It will be a lot faster, for only a little more money, more energy efficient and reliable.  

Why does it need to be an all in one?  What's wrong with using a laptop?  If you look at laptops, you will see you have way more options to chose from. 

Agree......I have a laptop which is connected to a 24 inch monitor on my computer desk, as well as to my tv, and if I travel I just unplug the peripherals and use the laptop screen.

3 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

I would not recommend either. If you take the example of a Mini PC, it is easily serviceable by someone with limited experience. He could fit an SSD for expansion by himself; some have a dedicated slot for that purpose. With an AIO, you have to take the thing apart. Similarly with modern laptops that aren’t specifically designed for business users.

For the simplest of upgrades, say to add more RAM, that’s a trip to a technician.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NextG said:

I would not recommend either. If you take the example of a Mini PC, it is easily serviceable by someone with limited experience. He could fit an SSD for expansion by himself; some have a dedicated slot for that purpose. With an AIO, you have to take the thing apart. Similarly with modern laptops that aren’t specifically designed for business users.

For the simplest of upgrades, say to add more RAM, that’s a trip to a technician.

I hinted to the OP a laptop would be the way to go. 

A laptop would also be better than a mini PC because they are completely portable.  With a mini PC, you need a monitor, or cables to go into a TV, a keyboard, and possibly a portable SSD / HDD.  A laptop has them all onboard, and can still plug it into a TV for movies / sport for a better viewing experience.

Like I said, coming from the All In One that the OP has been using, even a cheap base model laptop would give the OP an internet experience way above what he's been used to, so on that basis, I don't think he will need any RAM upgrades etc to a laptop. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

A laptop would also be better than a mini PC because they are completely portable.  With a mini PC, you need a monitor, or cables to go into a TV, a keyboard, and possibly a portable SSD / HDD.  A laptop has them all onboard, and can still plug it into a TV for movies / sport for a better viewing experience.

Like I said, coming from the All In One that the OP has been using, even a cheap base model laptop would give the OP an internet experience way above what he's been used to, so on that basis, I don't think he will need any RAM upgrades etc to a laptop. 

I understood that he only wanted to add some memory.

If money is no problem I would recommend a big tablet. I have PC and Notebook. I used them a lot before. But now I sit mostly with my big tablet in the bed. I hate to sit in a chair in the meantime to use a computer. In addition the tablet has 4G LTE. I don't even need a modem and can also make calls. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

absolutely correct ......  the issue is that I have run out of C/:  space ....  and therefore virtual memory .

By adding an external HDD ,  then transfer all my non-system folders, videos, photos etc  over to that external I then free up 40% or whatever of the AIO 57GB ....    so I gain memory, C/: space ,  and hopefully slightly faster operation.  

Edited by steven100

25 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

A Laptop is fine as it's portable and practicle if I had a need to take it anywhere,   however, I just ordered a tablet which I'm waiting for and that will be suffice to carry/take anywhere ,  also I have done my years of using a laptop everywhere and I'm over that now,  I like to sit at my AIO and type away, 18.5" screen is perfect size,  check websites, stock market, news, store photos, etc .....  which is fine for what I need daily.

Adding an external HDD will be the most convenient and best way to go.  imo

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

How does being portable make it better? ☺️
If he wanted portable, he would have purchased a laptop in the first place. 
There is obviously a reason why he bought an AIO. Thinking along those lines a Mini PC should be considered in place of an AIO, as it has all the advantages of an AIO but none of the disadvantages. 
If his needs change in the future and he feels that a laptop fits, then a laptop he will buy. 
For now, the initial problem has a solution. We are only discussing possibilities if he decides that the device is no longer adequate to his needs. The eMMC storage has performance not far off a standard HDD. It’s usable, but that’s all. 720p media is as far as it while stretch. Since it only has a 768p screen it’s not an issue. 
An upgrade should add functionality. In this case, a higher resolution monitor will allow more things on a single screen. Two usable windows side by side for instance A better CPU for multitasking. But these are things to be considered going forward. 
Unless he buys a second hand laptop, a laptop and monitor is a more expensive proposition. Best value together with user friendliness and smallest footprint is a Mini PC with monitor. 

Lets focus on the question and not the type of computer to use.

A Laptop is good for some people who want the convenience of having something high spec but portable.

A mini or micro PC is good for someone who doesn't want a large conventional PC but still have performance and takes up less space.

I am suited with an AIO because it doesn't take up alot of space,  there's no bulk PC box and it's performs adequate for my daily needs. 

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

Lets focus on the question and not the type of computer to use.

A Laptop is good for some people who want the convenience of having something high spec but portable.

A mini or micro PC is good for someone who doesn't want a large conventional PC but still have performance and takes up less space.

I am suited with an AIO because it doesn't take up alot of space,  there's no bulk PC box and it's performs adequate for my daily needs. 

Sorry, but I don’t understand your post at all. You want to focus on the question and not what computer you use, but then you discuss what computer you use anyway. 
Then you describe the who would be suited to which kind of computer… but I fail to see the difference between your description of a Mini PC and an AIO. 

“someone who doesn't want a large conventional PC but still have performance and takes up less space”.

“doesn't take up alot of space,  there's no bulk PC box”

So neither takes up a lot of space and neither has a bulky box. 

You can buy a Mini PC with exactly the same spec as yours if you wish, so performance doesn’t need to come in to it. It’s the versatility. You could add an NVMe drive in less than a minute yourself. You could get a far superior monitor or a cheap and nasty one. With an AIO, you cannot do anything easily. You want to upgrade the RAM? Off to the computer shop. Upgrade storage? Off to the computer shop. AIO is for aesthetics. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/2/2023 at 10:46 AM, Mickeymaus said:

If money is no problem I would recommend a big tablet. I have PC and Notebook. I used them a lot before. But now I sit mostly with my big tablet in the bed. I hate to sit in a chair in the meantime to use a computer. In addition the tablet has 4G LTE. I don't even need a modem and can also make calls. 

To be honest, anything would be better than what the OP currently has.  :smile:

Computers are lick that blunt razor that you keep on squeezing one last shave out of.  Then, when you use a new razor, you realize how bad the blunt one was.  :smile:

OP, your current computer is very "blunt."   Use a new one.  :smile:

• Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 11:07 AM, steven100 said:

A Laptop is fine as it's portable and practicle if I had a need to take it anywhere,   however, I just ordered a tablet which I'm waiting for and that will be suffice to carry/take anywhere ,  also I have done my years of using a laptop everywhere and I'm over that now,  I like to sit at my AIO and type away, 18.5" screen is perfect size,  check websites, stock market, news, store photos, etc .....  which is fine for what I need daily.

Adding an external HDD will be the most convenient and best way to go.  imo

When you see how "snappy" (fast) the tablet is, you might find yourself wanting that for your regular internet usage.  It will feel like a chore to use your old AIO after using your tablet. 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 11:18 AM, NextG said:

How does being portable make it better?

Being portable is better than not being portable, isn't it? 

If he wanted portable, he would have purchased a laptop in the first place. 

I actually use a laptop with a docking station.  Connected to the docking station is a big monitor, printer, and a wireless keyboard and mouse.  When in the docking station, the laptop acts like a desktop.  The lid remains closed, but the computer is running and I am using it. 

When I want to lay on the lounge with it, or travel, I just remove it from the docking station and it becomes a laptop again.  Perfect.

There is obviously a reason why he bought an AIO. Thinking along those lines a Mini PC should be considered in place of an AIO, as it has all the advantages of an AIO but none of the disadvantages. 
If his needs change in the future and he feels that a laptop fits, then a laptop he will buy. 

A laptop would be like an AIO, compared to a mini PC with all the peripherals.  (monitor, keyboard, mouse) 

The OP mentioned he liked the 18.5" screen of his AIO.  They make laptops with 19" screens now. 

I know there is a solution to his problem.  If you read the post I made I said I looked at his AIO's specs and it's way behind the times in many other things, not just small memory.  I suggested he would get a better internet experience with a new device, even if it was a base model, and with his AIO having just 1.1Ghz processor,  I stand by that, not to mention HD screens etc.

Rather than take my word for it, I suggested he goes and plays with even a cheap one in an electronics shop and see for himself.  

He can add a TB of SSD memory to his AIO, but he's still stuck with the same old CPU, GPU and RAM which, although work fine, he could get a significantly better internet experience by upgrading. 

Edited by KhunHeineken

• 1 month later...
On 1/31/2023 at 11:22 AM, MJCM said:

Then you have 2 options left

1- Take it to a shop and ask if they can Increase the size (if that is at all possible)

2- Have an External HDD (connected via USB) (preferably with it's OWN power Supply) connected all the time to your PC and MOVE your Documents over.

Moving Documents over is easy

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/configuration-of-the-my-documents-folder-dfd9a90d-8f80-18d6-e7cc-f1566fc3b10b

and then read: How to Change the My Documents Folder Storage Location a bit further down.

Hi MJCM,  I have a 500GB HDD on the way and cooling fan ....          then later take to the shop to increase RAM.

To move all my stuff over to the external HDD ....   is this correct  ? 

but i want to transfer ( not copy ) all my stuff over to the HDD  ?   thereby free up C/:  space   ?    or do I copy and then delete all that from my C/:   AFTER THE TRANSFER   ??

METHOD -A-

1. Purchase an external hard drive.

2. Connect it to your computer.

3. Open Windows Explorer

4. Open your C drive.

5. Select everything other than the Program Files, Program Files (x86), and Windows folders.

6. Copy the selection (Ctrl-C, or Right Click on the selection and choose Copy, or the Edit menu choice at the     top of the window, and then Copy).

7. Browse in Explorer to the external hard drive, and Paste (Ctrl-V, Right Click and choose Paste, or the Edit menu choice at the top of the window and then Paste) to the empty space shown when you browse the external hard drive.

8. Wait for the procedure to finish.

You will have just backed up everything on a disc except system and program files.

On 2/2/2023 at 5:36 PM, KhunHeineken said:

Are you saying that a W11 laptop with say 500GB SSD, 8GB RAM, i5 CPU will be faster than an AIO with exactly the same hardware?

On 1/31/2023 at 11:23 AM, steven100 said:

yes .... 

image.png.67e015e28fe80bc6f592443d541e4557.png

Why ANYONE with an iota of tech knowledge would buy something like this, with only 64GB Flash and 4GB RAM for Bht 14900 is beyond me.

I just upgraded my Step daughter's Acer C22 AIO with an M2 256 GB drive , leaving the !GB WD HDD for data, 8 GB RAM and a clean W11 install. It's like Max Verstappen is driving it. Cost from Invade for M2 & RAM  Bht 1725.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Why ANYONE with an iota of tech knowledge would buy something like this, with only 64GB Flash and 4GB RAM for Bht 14900 is beyond me.

I agree ... but I paid 2500 ...  I think that 64GB can be increased, and that 4GB can be increased to 8GB ...  which i may do after getting the ext' hdd.

Edited by steven100

30 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I just upgraded my Step daughter's Acer C22 AIO with an M2 256 GB drive , leaving the !GB WD HDD for data, 8 GB RAM and a clean W11 install. It's like Max Verstappen is driving it. Cost from Invade for M2 & RAM  Bht 1725.

I will be doing an upgrade ....  but lets get the ext-hdd sorted first hey.

27 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I will be doing an upgrade ....  but lets get the ext-hdd sorted first hey.

Not HHD......SSD !

I doubt whether you can do anything with the 64GB Flash drive as it will be soldered to the Mobo.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Not HHD......SSD !

I doubt whether you can do anything with the 64GB Flash drive as it will be soldered to the Mobo.

i will check with the guy who knows this model, he's done upgrades on them before.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/26/2023 at 3:55 AM, steven100 said:

i will check with the guy who knows this model, he's done upgrades on them before.

I hope you don't spend money on upgrades and a HDD and a few weeks later the screen or mobo dies.  You would have wasted money that could have been put towards a new device or even a decent secondhand one. 

You are putting that device on life support.  How long do you expect it to live? 

53 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

You are putting that device on life support. 

It's just an upgrade FGS ....    64GB flash can go to 128GB ....   4GB RAM can go to 8GB  .... and the external HDD will handle all my stuff ........   how can that be a problem or are you thinking the CPU won't handle the upgrade ???

19 hours ago, steven100 said:

It's just an upgrade FGS ....    64GB flash can go to 128GB ....   4GB RAM can go to 8GB  .... and the external HDD will handle all my stuff ........   how can that be a problem or are you thinking the CPU won't handle the upgrade ???

It's an old machine.  Say the screen dies next month. You've wasted your money. 

More to the point, electric current degrades electronic components over the years.  A capacitor on the mobo could give up, or something similar.  It's then basically a throw away.  Nothing lasts forever.