American pensioner on 'brand new' Ducati collides with backhoe carrying truck and dies in South

webfact

8 hours ago, n00dle said:

Spin it however you want. if the bike hit the tractor from the rear, the fault is clear.

In the US, if a someone hits in the rear, it is always hisfault. He changed lane, pulled In front of me, or suddenly slowed down defense does not cut it. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yeah but still....  Get a car  (If finances permit of course). 

My Son goes on the back of my motorcycle for a bit of fun when we ride up to the pool in our moo-baan...   Never on a regular road, never will he ever.... 

You are one of the few smart parents not riding a motorbike on a regular road, its a death wish.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Why do people assume he's a beginner or that this Ducati is a super powerful bike? Clearly at that age he's had big bike experience and the bike is Ducati's smaller adventure bike...

Personally I don't assume anything in this case. Let's wait for more information.

But it seems too many guys in Thailand any age don't know the power of bikes.

Even a 400cc bike accelerates to 100km/h faster than many sports cars. Be aware of the power.

And with bigger bikes there is obviously even more power.

We had one member here in the form who started a thread that he just got his Honda Gold Wing after almost no previous experience. I don't think I saw any follow up threads from him.

I don't really want to see a statistic about who buys big bikes in Thailand and how long they survive.

RIP

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Personally I don't assume anything in this case. Let's wait for more information.

But it seems too many guys in Thailand any age don't know the power of bikes.

Even a 400cc bike accelerates to 100km/h faster than many sports cars. Be aware of the power.

And with bigger bikes there is obviously even more power.

We had one member here in the form who started a thread that he just got his Honda Gold Wing after almost no previous experience. I don't think I saw any follow up threads from him.

I don't really want to see a statistic about who buys big bikes in Thailand and how long they survive.

RIP

I would personally reckon that they survive very well, being a 650cc rider myself. Considering how many bike clubs there are in Thailand which have a high percentage of foreign riders, I'm a member of 3 in Chiang Mai. 

Ps, I've yet to meet any rider who wasn't a keen motorcyclists in their own country. 

Edited by roo860
  • Thumbs Up 2

16 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Oh for <deleted>'s sake! Anyone buying that kind of a monster machine at that age needs their head examined.

Not necessarily.  My Uncle in the UK is still buying and riding big bikes and he's over 80 years old.  He just took delivery of some new Aprilia bike that is over 1200cc I think.

You don't know how long this guy had been riding big bikes.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, roo860 said:

I would personally reckon that they survive very well, being a 650cc rider myself. Considering how many bike clubs there are in Thailand which have a high percentage of foreign riders, I'm a member of 3 in Chiang Mai. 

Ps, I've yet to meet any rider who wasn't a keen motorcyclists in their own country. 

I guess being member in a responsible bike club helps. I ride motorcycles since I am legally allowed to do that but I was never in such a club. I guess in a club if a member would try to show how good he is when in reality he has limited skills then others would tell him to take it easy. Or maybe they would help him to learn.

Just looking at this forum and reading about beginner rider's ideas is sometimes scary. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Not necessarily.  My Uncle in the UK is still buying and riding big bikes and he's over 80 years old.  He just took delivery of some new Aprilia bike that is over 1200cc I think.

Obviously he can own such a bike and he can ride it to the next pub. But do you really believe that an 80-year-old is capable to handle the full power and max speed of such a bike?

But then, maybe he prefers to die in a high-speed accident and not from old age in a bed.

journal.pone.0189598.g001

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Obviously he can own such a bike and he can ride it to the next pub. But do you really believe that an 80-year-old is capable to handle the full power and max speed of such a bike?

But then, maybe he prefers to die in a high-speed accident and not from old age in a bed.

journal.pone.0189598.g001

Personally I wouldn't think that he would ride it to max power and speed, but that's MHO. 

14 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

I'm an experienced rider of almost 40 years. I do ride in Thailand and love big bikes. As much as I'd enjoy a fast bike, there is just no place in Thailand for a bike that can do 100 KPH in 2nd gear. Scooters are quite fast enough. The risks posed by other riders and drivers (and animals on the road) are just too great. The lack of attention and awareness by other road users is breathtaking. So sad for Mr Edward and his family. 67 is not old and he was likely living the dream until the end. Whatever the real reason, speed, power, motorcycles, truck and Thai drivers do not mix well. RIP.

Well im close to the 406 and in the evening there are some doing that.

You can hear them quite good. Im always waiting for a bang to hear or sudden stop in engine sound. They accelerate to the max in each gear. And by the sound of them (of course they have a special exhaust on it), they are bigger then normal.

My bike didnt make that much sound and i didnt want it, by having a Akraprovic.

Had a Suzuki Bking. and that one can really go. Never ever tested it on speed and acceleration (as it had 180 HP) really, but loved the bike. 

Besides in "my country" there are so many cams and sneaky police cars, i better dont, as the fines are also big.

With the American, it is weird the front of the bike is in tact. If you do high speed into that truck, the front doesnt look good anymore, for sure. im wondering. Sad for the driver.

11 hours ago, Screaming said:

It does not matter how big or small or how expensive a motorbike is, they are still death traps and only fools ride them.

Only fools fool themselves they live a safe life avoiding driving motorbike or any other passion you might have in life. It is a calculated risk we all take in life no matter motorbike or anything else. No gain without risk.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 8:40 AM, MRToMRT said:

Sad for the poor blokes family. The drivers story does not fully ring true IMHO, I suspect the driver pulled out without warning into the right lane and took out the overtaking Ducati.

Close the thread time, then, as you've sorted it.    A lot of people would think that your made up story does not ring true, either.

11 hours ago, roo860 said:

nonsense

I don't allow my children to ride motorcycles. Would you allow yours?

I've seen so many deaths/accident on the roads. I agree that only fools and people with no money ride m/c in Thailand. There's also the older guys going through their later life crises.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I don't allow my children to ride motorcycles. Would you allow yours?

I've seen so many deaths/accident on the roads. I agree that only fools and people with no money ride m/c in Thailand. There's also the older guys going through their later life crises.

My daughter has no interest in motorcycles, only ever rode pillion with me or my wife, wouldn't have had any objections if she had wanted to ride one.

4 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:

That's in the UK. I'm talking about driving one of those beasts in Thailand in your mid-60's or older. Bad idea.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's not "clear" at all, it's an assumption based on nothing.

It's an assumption correct but it's not based on nothing. I know plenty of older folks who ride big bikes and all of them have had plenty of prior experience. They also nearly all ride pretty conservatively even if they have quite powerful machines. I've never seen anyone at that age going and buying a Ducati as a beginner. It's possible but just unrealistic.

4 minutes ago, roo860 said:

My daughter has no interest in motorcycles, only ever rode pillion with me or my wife, wouldn't have had any objections if she had wanted to ride one.

Are you saying you DIDN'T discourage your daughter to ride a motorcycle in Thailand? 

3 minutes ago, eisfeld said:
20 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's not "clear" at all, it's an assumption based on nothing.

It's an assumption correct but it's not based on nothing. I know plenty of older folks who ride big bikes and all of them have had plenty of prior experience.

If you know nothing about this man and, obviously, you don't, then your assumption about him is based on nothing.

1 minute ago, roo860 said:

I'm saying exactly what my reply was. Doesn't need any interpretation. 

I stressed the dangers of riding a m/c in Thailand to my kids from an early age. Any parent who doesn't, is not doing their job.  

I would be very upset if any of my kids bought a m/c, for obvious reasons. I'm confused to why you think otherwise, hence my question. You obviously don't want to answer, which is OK, but weird.