American pensioner on 'brand new' Ducati collides with backhoe carrying truck and dies in South

webfact

37 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I don't allow my children to ride motorcycles. Would you allow yours?

I've seen so many deaths/accident on the roads. I agree that only fools and people with no money ride m/c in Thailand. There's also the older guys going through their later life crises.

So true, only fools and people with no money ride motorbikes in Thailand. It's a death wish.

48 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I don't allow my children to ride motorcycles. Would you allow yours?

I've seen so many deaths/accident on the roads. I agree that only fools and people with no money ride m/c in Thailand. There's also the older guys going through their later life crises.

All depending where you live. I grow up on a farm and did my riding like an idiot on bicycles everywhere it was possible on sand, gravel, ice mud, and 12 years started/learned  to ride Yamaha 80cc enduro, and my first lisence for small motorbike 16 years old, big motorbike 18, and now got 4 different sized motorbikes in my garage at our farm.

No doubt I Would teach them and let them push their limits  if they had the feeling for riding. If not, I would be happy to not let them start riding. 

Most motorbike accidents could have been avoided with proper training of all drivers in thailand and especially motorbike riders. 

Riding motorbikes is dangerous, but as long you understand it is dangerous and you learn to read  patterns, it will become less dangerous 

Edited by Hummin

4 minutes ago, Hummin said:

All depending where you live. I grow up on a farm and did my riding like an idiot on bicycles everywhere it was possible on sand, gravel, ice mud, and 12 years started/learned  to ride Yamaha 80cc enduro, and my first lisence for small motorbike 16 years old, big motorbike 18, and now got 4 different sized motorbikes in my garage at our farm.

No doubt I Would teach them and let them push their limits  if they had the feeling for riding. If not, I would be happy to not let them start riding. 

Most motorbike accidents could have been avoided with proper training of all drivers in thailand and especially motorbike riders. 

Riding motorbikes is dangerous, but as long you understand it is dangerous and you learn to read  patterns, it will become less dangerous 

Your first sentence. 

I'm talking about kids in Thailand, obviously. A rural area in Kansas, I'd have no issues and might even ride one myself. 

Riding a bike in Thailand is stupid, full stop, and if you encourage your kids, you are not a terrible parent. 

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Your first sentence. 

I'm talking about kids in Thailand, obviously. A rural area in Kansas, I'd have no issues and might even ride one myself. 

Riding a bike in Thailand is stupid, full stop, and if you encourage your kids, you are not a terrible parent. 

Healthy interests and motivation is good, and if I had responsibility like young kids, I would not ride motorbikes in Thailand. 

However if they had interests that I felt was stupid, I would not deny them the experience, but trying to guide them if I could. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If you know nothing about this man and, obviously, you don't, then your assumption about him is based on nothing.

That's obviously not correct. I can assume just as well that he wasn't poor, reasonably well educated and can speak English decently just based on the fact that he was an American. I can assume that purely due to his nationality because most people sharing the same trait will fit into that bucket. Will I be correct for sure? No. But it's a *reasonable* assumption in contrast to assuming that he was a beginner.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, eisfeld said:
3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If you know nothing about this man and, obviously, you don't, then your assumption about him is based on nothing.

That's obviously not correct. I can assume just as well that he wasn't poor, reasonably well educated and can speak English decently just based on the fact that he was an American. I can assume that purely due to his nationality because most people sharing the same trait will fit into that bucket. Will I be correct for sure? No. But it's a *reasonable* assumption in contrast to assuming that he was a beginner.

"Assume", "assume", "assumption", "assuming"!

As I said, you know nothing whatsoever about this man or his bike experience, everything you wrote there about him is nothing but speculation.  Q.E.D.

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Assume", "assume", "assumption", "assuming"!

As I said, you know nothing whatsoever about this man or his bike experience, everything you wrote there about him is nothing but speculation.  Q.E.D.

We know his nationality, location, age, gender and that he bought a Multistrada with panniers. That is not nothing. Q.E.D.

Just now, eisfeld said:

We know his nationality, location, age, gender and that he bought a Multistrada with panniers. That is not nothing. Q.E.D.

It is not normal to buy a Multistrada as a first bike, and useally they know what they are buying or just got to much money, and stupid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

It is not normal to buy a Multistrada as a first bike, and useally they know what they are buying or just got to much money, and stupid.

Yup exactly. The too much money and stupid case is usually with younger folks that buy some sporty looking bike and not a retiree with an adventure bike plus luggage. Anyone who's ridden for a good time and met numerous riders would agree.

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Close the thread time, then, as you've sorted it.    A lot of people would think that your made up story does not ring true, either.

Ah my stalker is back from the beer bar stool.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I stressed the dangers of riding a m/c in Thailand to my kids from an early age. Any parent who doesn't, is not doing their job.  

I would be very upset if any of my kids bought a m/c, for obvious reasons. I'm confused to why you think otherwise, hence my question. You obviously don't want to answer, which is OK, but weird.

Nothing weird at all, I've only just seen your reply, I'm not glued to this forum all day, she knew the score exactly about motorbikes, riding pillion with me on various bikes, nor 

would I have been upset if she wanted a bike, she prefers her own car.

Edited by roo860

10 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Nothing weird at all, I've only just seen your reply, I'm not glued to this forum all day, she knew the score exactly about motorbikes, riding pillion with me on various bikes, nor 

would I have been upset if she wanted a bike, she prefers her own car.

I didn't actually mean that.  but now you mention it -  your profile says you are a prolific poster lol

image.png.294c5a9d00d4bd341cac80d09debfb85.png

17 hours ago, Keep Right said:

So true, only fools and people with no money ride motorbikes in Thailand. It's a death wish.

A fool I possibly am , yet i have money enough and I do indeed ride a scooter every day and will not stop until I cant get my body onto the seat . 

Life comes with risk Mr Keep Right 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/1/2023 at 3:13 PM, HappyExpat57 said:

Oh for <deleted>'s sake! Anyone buying that kind of a monster machine at that age needs their head examined.

Recapturing lost youth. This and the other story about a Swede who'd just arrived, then took the corner too quickly, and was thrown into a concrete pipe.

You're like a kid in a candy store upon arrival. The sights, the food, the booze, the women. Then you see how much further your money goes here, and you feel like a king. 

Back in the old Soi 22 Queen's Park Plaza I saw 50 somethings bouncing tiny ladyboys on their laps, as they put 80's hair metal on the YouTube, recalling their glory teenage days of live arena concerts and wild after parties. They're here to bring it all back. No prob, just take it easy, fellas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

That truck driver's name didn't happen to be Pinnocio did it?  Driving along in the slow lane, carefully watching his rear view mirrors for bikes that are traveling too fast so that he can give them the ol double honk warning of potential impending risk.

Google 'danger to slow moving vehicles'. Lets know what comes up first.! 

On 2/1/2023 at 3:14 PM, HappyExpat57 said:

That's Pattaya, a universe all unto itself. Idiots go there thinking both the legal laws and the laws of physics don't apply to them.

Was at Chiang Mai night market last night & sat there whilst a young (I’d guess 21-23) Caucasian girl gingerly steered her big bike into a parking space then couldn’t move it back to straighten it up so her bf riding a similar bike parks his & goes over to move hers.

Then they walk into the bar & start downing Changs…. 

An accident waiting to happen if I’ve ever seen one…

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MRToMRT said:
21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Close the thread time, then, as you've sorted it.    A lot of people would think that your made up story does not ring true, either.

Ah my stalker is back from the beer bar stool.

I've got much better things to do than to be wrongly accused of "stalking" you and one place that you will never find me is in a beer bar.  

On 2/1/2023 at 7:54 AM, webfact said:

They found a red plate Ducati on its side. This normally indicates that it is a brand new vehicle.

Say what ? lol

On 2/1/2023 at 3:04 PM, ignore it said:

I'm seeing a lot of helmetless tourists zooming around Patts.

Reckless stuff in the daytime.

Actually make Thai drivers look good.

I'm expecting lots of crashes.

More than the good old pre Wuhan virus days.

Same on Koh Chang, wobbling about, cutting across the road, looking at their phone GPS, not concentrating on the road looking at everything else 'cept road and traffic, it is sooo obvious they have never driven a M/C in their lives before or come to that Anything else. 

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1

I go for the Lost Concentration ? I nearly hit the wall at 110 when my Wife saw a car she liked, and Pointed it out to me taking my attention of the road on a slight bend !!! Loss of Concentration, excess speed, lack of Experience, and on a Bend.

..... How many Trucks were on The Road ? ... Maybe he was passing a whole line of them, and Lost concentration in the middle of them, and just drifted a bit to far left !!! ??? ... Maybe he had a Health issue ??? Eg passed out or had a fit ? Like drugies who have fits while driving are suspended for 6 months you know ??? any way sorry it probably was not that extrem, but well ??? ... just in that general direction ??? 

I drive about 40k every school day, and some times in the 120k lane, ... and I never see any Truck drivers do any thing Malicious OR stupid. ... Though my part of the Asia Highway is probably one of the best Pieces of road in Thailand I must admit ? ... (That I think.) ... Like driving in Pattay or Phuket !!! NO THANKS.

The trucks here and there are a LOT of them !!! ... They always use their Indicators, and are vey Courteous, never usually moving if someone is behind them any where near them if it is fast !!! And usualy only in the 1st and the second lanes, the Truck lanes, .... The Company Work Busses clogging up the 3rd lane out are a Problem, but well Only because they are Big as well as fast at the Moment, to me.

And well compared with even only 3 Years ago, More Traffic, But I DO see a LOT More Care also ... Like almost all follow the speed limits, and ARE courteous.

(Actually More Courteous than in Australia I think, ... as they do not set the rules in their own minds, Like Australians do and close and then the gap if they think that you should not get through !!! ..

... Thais DO let you through ... If you fit.  ... and do not Impose their will of "The Ruels" on you !!! so I like driving here better. But well better not go on.

My Step son drives a Logistic Truck, a "Hock law" 6 wheels, like a smart Guy like the Truck drivers are smart here, as if they are not !!!  they would not get a Truck !!! ... Like plenty of other smarter Drivers around !!! Right !!! ...  and my Brother in Law a truck drivers assistant ....

So well I treat all trucks with Respect, like they are just Poor men trying to make a Living after all !!! ... and they treat me with respect also.  TIGT This is the Good side of Thailand !!! ...

I would say that this poor guy drove in to the back of the Truck. And so like Train drivers that hit things on Level crossings !!! ... We should consider HIS problems, when he is just driving along, trying to do his Job and make a living, ... and some Foreign Guy on a Big Duke, powers in to the back of him !!! ... and gets Killed !!! .... ... Like This Really CAN <Deleted> up these poor guys you know !!! 

Ps. I do not drive at Night, if I can avoid it, 4 x as dangerous, I believe and I believe it, ... even here in this quiet part of "Asia" !!!

Have a Nice Day All .. Watch the trucks .. they deliver you Produce, and food you Know. 

Mark mark

Yes most likely he crashed in to the back of it at speed as he had not realised or reacted fast enough to how slow it was going. It was a low loader with an excavator on it !!! So it would not have been going very fast at all I woukd say.

Possibly not stupidly fast but fast enough for him to be thrown up on to the tray, ... hit the Excavator and role off the Right side ... the way he would have been moving to try to avoud it when he rrleslised that he was going to fast. ...  Roled off and gone under the back wheels. The low losder might have been moving right to avoid something else but well A huge Low Loader !!! I ??  . . In Australia it probably would have had a warning sighn saying "Do not pass  Turning Viechel" on it ... or "wide load." ... You do not F with low loaders with Excavators on them any way, ... what ever the rules, or situation might be any way. Like it would be a bloody hard way to make money driving that huge piece of kit around !!! Just ask any Foreign Transport Worker if you do not believe me ??? 

RIP Mate !!!All the same.

On 2/1/2023 at 7:47 PM, Hummin said:

A scenario I often experience here on Thai roads. Trucks coming out without warning to pass a motorbike or a slower vehicle.

Yes I do tend to agree with you both here, But from Experience i would think the Thai truck driver would have left enough room for the Duke ... it is just that he did not react fast enough to avoid him. You would have had to be on your Maximum look out any time you even considered passing or getting close to a Voechel like that I think.

RIP Mr Edwards was it ? ...

6 minutes ago, Mark mark said:

Yes most likely he crashed in to the back of it at speed as he had not realised or reacted fast enough to how slow it was going. It was a low loader with an excavator on it !!! So it would not have been going very fast at all I woukd say.

Possibly not stupidly fast but fast enough for him to be thrown up on to the tray, ... hit the Excavator and role off the Right side ... the way he would have been moving to try to avoud it when he rrleslised that he was going to fast. ...  Roled off and gone under the back wheels. The low losder might have been moving right to avoid something else but well A huge Low Loader !!! I ??  . . In Australia it probably would have had a warning sighn saying "Do not pass  Turning Viechel" on it ... or "wide load." ... You do not F with low loaders with Excavators on them any way, ... what ever the rules, or situation might be any way. Like it would be a bloody hard way to make money driving that huge piece of kit around !!! Just ask any Foreign Transport Worker if you do not believe me ??? 

RIP Mate !!!All the same.

The scooter looked in excellent condition, for being in an accident.   Maybe he just had a bad bounce in the wrong direction, as "Crushed at the real wheel of a Hino truck trailer"  usually doesn't end well.

I've fallen over just hopping off my scooter after parking, thankfully not into traffic, and not drunk.  Nothing hurt but my pride ... good, nobody saw me this time.

Not to self: remember to put kickstand down before dismount.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mark mark said:

Yes I do tend to agree with you both here, But from Experience i would think the Thai truck driver would have left enough room for the Duke ... it is just that he did not react fast enough to avoid him. You would have had to be on your Maximum look out any time you even considered passing or getting close to a Voechel like that I think.

RIP Mr Edwards was it ? ...

I do not say it happend here, but it is a scenario I experience often when riding motorbikes in Thailand. The trucks comes out without warning to pass something, or hit the turn signal as they coming out. Slower vehicles in front, I can spot by position myselves and predict it will happen, but these days after rains season, potato and sugarcane transport, they also come out without warning for potholes and road damages. 

We might never know, so unless someone have video of the accident, we will never really know what actually happend. 

Just two days ago I had an aggressive encounter with a car obviously provoked by me riding in the active line at my side, while my partner stays in passive line to left side, and just came at me passing his car in front. Close shaving. 

It is important to leave margins for our selves when riding motorbikes and not let us ourselves be trapped one whay or the other be it to slow or to fast or in wrong position at the road. If we riding more riders together we can act bigger by riding tighter,  and also leave better visuals for each other by riding in a zig zag formation. 

Act bigger and faster by using high light as well more lights on the bike. Everyone who travels often on the roads here, knows it is a dangerous <deleted> show out there, and close calls becomes normal. 

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

I do not say it happend here, but it is a scenario I experience often when riding motorbikes in Thailand. The trucks comes out without warning to pass something, or hit the turn signal as they coming out. Slower vehicles in front, I can spot by position myselves and predict it will happen, but these days after rains season, potato and sugarcane transport, they also come out without warning for potholes and road damages. 

We might never know, so unless someone have video of the accident, we will never really know what actually happend. 

Just two days ago I had an aggressive encounter with a car obviously provoked by me riding in the active line at my side, while my partner stays in passive line to left side, and just came at me passing his car in front. Close shaving. 

It is important to leave margins for our selves when riding motorbikes and not let us ourselves be trapped one whay or the other be it to slow or to fast or in wrong position at the road. If we riding more riders together we can act bigger by riding tighter,  and also leave better visuals for each other by riding in a zig zag formation. 

Act bigger and faster by using high light as well more lights on the bike. Everyone who travels often on the roads here, knows it is a dangerous <deleted> show out there, and close calls becomes normal. 

Yes Right On Mannnn !!! ... Yes, BE pro active !!! The Bike riders first rule ??? I think ??? ...

Though well after a close miss my self, in Cambodia where my Thai Friend who was ahead of me, stopped for a Woman by the side of the road, ? ...in some sort of trouble, ??? But I, who was behind him just looked at her and waved !!!! .... ... Like I just missed him at speed in the dust !!! Like a lot of bikes together, ? ... and then you have the Problem of "Friendly Fire" ???? Right ... The riders hitting each other, if they are not concentrating ??? ??? ... ALLS GOOD !!! .... But I prefer to ride alone and keep well out in front of the Traffic !!! (Always having an Exit plan in my Mind for if things do go wrong !!!) .... As that is safer even if speeding, but well ??? Probably pretty hard to do in Thailand with it's Volume of Traffic. ???

10 minutes ago, Mark mark said:

Yes Right On Mannnn !!! ... Yes, BE pro active !!! The Bike riders first rule ??? I think ??? ...

Though well after a close miss my self, in Cambodia where my Thai Friend who was ahead of me, stopped for a Woman by the side of the road, ? ...in some sort of trouble, ??? But I, who was behind him just looked at her and waved !!!! .... ... Like I just missed him at speed in the dust !!! Like a lot of bikes together, ? ... and then you have the Problem of "Friendly Fire" ???? Right ... The riders hitting each other, if they are not concentrating ??? ??? ... ALLS GOOD !!! .... But I prefer to ride alone and keep well out in front of the Traffic !!! (Always having an Exit plan in my Mind for if things do go wrong !!!) .... As that is safer even if speeding, but well ??? Probably pretty hard to do in Thailand with it's Volume of Traffic. ???

Thailand is good, and we just had a week on the road now at roads with very little traffic. It is the more busy highways that creates dangerous situations where people are stressed and overtaking each other without thinking about tomorrow. 

So many great routes you can do with almost no traffic at all. 

• Like 1