American pensioner on 'brand new' Ducati collides with backhoe carrying truck and dies in South

webfact

f1d6e3abfe9b25f979d4c906cd15e93c6c604757d7f06d96b364ed32d91b4e18.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

Siam Rath reported on the death of a 67 year old American man who had been riding a Ducati motorcycle in Phangnga, southern Thailand yesterday.

Pol Lt Siwasit Petchsuran of the Muang district police went with hospital and rescue services to the scene on Petchkasem Road in Tak Daet sub-district.

They found a red plate Ducati on its side. This normally indicates that it is a brand new vehicle. 

Crushed at the real wheel of a Hino truck trailer carrying a backhoe was Mr Edward. 

66e35f32435853a0934033d29cf31654f40214b1fa44b24636092182123ac8fd.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

He was taken dead to Phangnga Hospital for autopsy.

Surasak the driver of the truck said that he was on his way to Takua Thung driving in the left lane at about 60 kmph.

He noticed the bike in his rear view mirror coming up too close on his right side at speed and sounded his horn twice to alert the rider.

But the rider continued and ended up going into his back wheel.

Police were at the scene gathering evidence in the accident that occurred at the Suan Nok bend heading out of Muang district. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-02-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

8 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I'm not doubting the truck driver's version but do find it unusual that someone would sound their horn (twice) at someone approaching from behind at speed.

I'm sure brake checking doesn't happen in Thailand.

Pensioner on his phone! 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MRToMRT said:

Sad for the poor blokes family. The drivers story does not fully ring true IMHO, I suspect the driver pulled out without warning into the right lane and took out the overtaking Ducati.

IMHO, based on the drag marks in the one photo we have, it should be relatively easy to ascertain exactly where impact occurred.

9 minutes ago, ignore it said:

I'm seeing a lot of helmetless tourists zooming around Patts.

Reckless stuff in the daytime.

Actually make Thai drivers look good.

I'm expecting lots of crashes.

More than the good old pre Wuhan virus days.

That's Pattaya, a universe all unto itself. Idiots go there thinking both the legal laws and the laws of physics don't apply to them.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

New bike, and them Ducaties need to know how to be ridden if you're a beginner, so this plus this plus bad luck and these are the results unfortunately...

I wonder how much experience the rider had with bikes like that? Be different than riding a scooter for sure.

In NZ the cost of keeping a large bike legal is very high because the cost of injuries and death of such riders costs the state too much.

• Thumbs Up 2

44 minutes ago, n00dle said:

Spin it however you want. the bike hit the tractor from the rear, fault is clear.

Who said the bike hit the truck (not tractor) from the rear? The story speaks of the motorcycle being on the right side of the truck and then the guy somehow being crushed under the rear wheel.

3 minutes ago, eisfeld said:
7 minutes ago, Olmate said:

You take your kids to school on a "bigbike"?? 

Can be safer than going on a scooter depending on the model. Better visibility, better breaks, better tires and better safety systems. Big bike does not mean you have to go 200kph...

Yeah but still....  Get a car  (If finances permit of course). 

My Son goes on the back of my motorcycle for a bit of fun when we ride up to the pool in our moo-baan...   Never on a regular road, never will he ever.... 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Can be safer than going on a scooter depending on the model. Better visibility, better breaks, better tires and better safety systems. Big bike does not mean you have to go 200kph...

Bigger engine beckons you to ride faster..

Just human nature.

• Like 1

Alot of ignorant comments on here  , I have ridden motrcycles all over the world ,for over 50 years  I have a Big Ducati I have ridden in Thailand , Cambodia, Laos, Burma  for 20 years  and also now a new even more powerful Kawasaki Ninja 1000  , both can easily be ridden slowly  or crazy fast is up to me depending on appropriate  situations and my levels of concentration ,,  I suspect either the rider was inexperienced  , or lost concentration ,, but more likely the truck did something stupid .. I SEE IT ALL THE TIME HERE . 

And in Pattaya there are no road rules , and stupid tourists  renting big bikes without helmets and safety gear is  ridiculous , but Thai big bike riders are just as bad ,, I see Hiso Thais on  New 1m Baht bikes wearing 200k leathers, boots   , but NO helmets  or gloves , very fashionable  and passing me at 150mph  idiots ???

11 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

Sad for the poor blokes family. The drivers story does not fully ring true IMHO, I suspect the driver pulled out without warning into the right lane and took out the overtaking Ducati.

A scenario I often experience here on Thai roads. Trucks coming out without warning to pass a motorbike or a slower vehicle.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1