Hi Newbies! That means everybody

ozimoron

I am still a newbie (wrong: I just got promoted to "Rookie") after more than 1500 posts. I notice that maintenance and bug-fixing in many cases takes far more time above from what is usual in the IT world.

And when you have finished, may I kindly ask you to explain these new "badges" and how they are calculated ?

Edited by moogradod

2 hours ago, moogradod said:

I am still a newbie (wrong: I just got promoted to "Rookie") after more than 1500 posts. I notice that maintenance and bug-fixing in many cases takes far more time above from what is usual in the IT world.

And when you have finished, may I kindly ask you to explain these new "badges" and how they are calculated ?

The forum re-indexing is indeed taking a long time, but that is wholly down to the forum software. I don't have a way of speeding things up. Re-indexing is currently 23 per cent completed. However with 300,000+ members, 12 million+ events and a 20 year database to analyse, with 11 badges and then ranks to award it will take some time.

I have taken a screenshot of 10 of the 11 currently available badges and pasted it below:

image.png

You will see there is a description below each badge, for example, "Got 100 reactions" which explains why the badge was awarded.

There is an 11th badge, which has not been awarded yet (as the system has not gotten around to analyzing follows which is:

image.png

Members will receive this badge when 10 people follow them.

The "Rare" symbol on badges is applied if the badge has been earned by less than 5 per cent of members. During the re-indexing period when badges are being awarded the rare symbol will be re-calculated and some badges will become less rare as more of them are awarded.

• Thanks 2

On 2/4/2023 at 5:24 PM, blackcab said:

The forum re-indexing is indeed taking a long time, but that is wholly down to the forum software. I don't have a way of speeding things up. Re-indexing is currently 23 per cent completed. However with 300,000+ members, 12 million+ events and a 20 year database to analyse, with 11 badges and then ranks to award it will take some time.

When reindexing is complete will folks previous membership rank/rating be restored?   

Or, AseanNow is not sure, it will not restore previous rating/rank, etc., although we might get awarded a bunch of boy scout badges which will make a North Korean general jealous? 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Pib said:

When reindexing is complete will folks previous membership rank/rating be restored?   

Or, AseanNow is not sure, it will not restore previous rating/rank, etc., although we might get awarded a bunch of boy scout badges which will make a North Korean general jealous? 

Just checked, I am now an explorer member, whatever that is...............:stoner:........................:guitar:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Pib said:

Ranks will be restored when the re-indexing is completed. Currently re-indexing is at 66.13 per cent.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Ranks will be restored when the re-indexing is completed. Currently re-indexing is at 66.13 per cent.

Thanks.  One more question:  Must reindexing complete 100% before anyone's rank get's restored OR some people have already got their rank restored at the 66% reindexing point?   

On 2/2/2023 at 6:09 PM, chickenslegs said:

Should we expect to receive our badges by post, or will there be a ceremony? (I now have 7)

Russell from Up - Doll | Vinyl art toys, Hot toys, Disney pixar up

We don't need no stinking badges.....But as an apprentice member I sure need to be paid for my apprenticeship....

image.png.51bba5c36bc4e2ce9b037455b3bb0a89.png

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Haha 1

On 2/4/2023 at 11:24 AM, blackcab said:

The "Rare" symbol on badges is applied if the badge has been earned by less than 5 per cent of members. During the re-indexing period when badges are being awarded the rare symbol will be re-calculated and some badges will become less rare as more of them are awarded.

I've got the "Rare" symbol on 4 out of my 5 badges.  This is getting silly now.

On 2/6/2023 at 5:17 PM, blackcab said:

That's a good question as there are currently two processes running in parallel. When re-indexing was started the system noted the exact date and time. The first process re-indexes all site activity before this moment in time. The system does this because it would be a lot harder to re-index a constantly changing database.

Concurrent to this process, any site activity that occurred after that moment in time is counted separately, and it is this data that is currently being used to display member's ranks. As an example I am currently an Apprentice Member as I have made somewhere between 25 and 50 posts since re-indexing began. Personally I would not design the forum software to work this way, but it's not something I can change.

When the first process of re-indexing the historical database is complete the system will then add all site activity from the second concurrent process to the data from the first process and use the combined results to calculate and award ranks.

It's now 5 days later....Any update on above process?  Done?....still in process?.....estimated finish date?   Thanks.

2 hours ago, Pib said:

It's now 5 days later....Any update on above process?  Done?....still in process?.....estimated finish date?   Thanks.

The re-indexing finished about an hour ago. We are having a couple of issues with the post counts and badge awards, so the achievements are not going to be displayed until this issue is fixed.

At the minute we are back to the old-style display of information on member's profile pages.

On 2/11/2023 at 9:51 PM, blackcab said:

The re-indexing finished about an hour ago. We are having a couple of issues with the post counts and badge awards, so the achievements are not going to be displayed until this issue is fixed.

At the minute we are back to the old-style display of information on member's profile pages.

Any estimated date as to when the correct post count ranking will be fixed?  That is, promoting folks back to their original rating after everybody got demoted to Newbie?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Any estimated date as to when the correct post count ranking will be fixed?  That is, promoting folks back to their original rating after everybody got demoted to Newbie?  

Everyone's correct post count is displayed on their profile. The issue we have is that the achievement index is not recognising these posts and as such is not awarding the correct ranks.

I do not have an estimated date that this will be resolved as it is an issue which needs to be fixed by the forum software vendor. A support ticket with them has already been opened.

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/13/2023 at 7:43 PM, blackcab said:

Everyone's correct post count is displayed on their profile. The issue we have is that the achievement index is not recognising these posts and as such is not awarding the correct ranks.

I do not have an estimated date that this will be resolved as it is an issue which needs to be fixed by the forum software vendor. A support ticket with them has already been opened.

What's the status on the support ticket/fix?  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/2/2023 at 7:25 PM, Neeranam said:

I've also been banned for life, not many can say that ????

I didn't believe in reincarnation until I read your post!