Hi Newbies! That means everybody

ozimoron

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I always wonder how many people care about those badges.

Ok, I have to admit it feels good to be in the top 1% or something like that. I just read and post because it is fun. I won't hurry to write 10 more posts to get another badge or so.

I only noticed because I got a popup  congratulating me on my first post.

1 minute ago, Pib said:

I think I figured out what is happening   

Elon Musk just bought AseanNow and he thinks members with higher rank ratings get paid more and is demoting everyone to a Newbie member at minimum wage. 

Somebody needs to explain to Elon that AseanNow members/posters, whether a Newbie member or Grand Master member, don't get paid for their posts.  

Oh that Elon, he's such a penny pincher. 

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

• Love It 1

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

I think I figured out what is happening   

Elon Musk just bought AseanNow and he thinks members with higher rank ratings get paid more and is demoting everyone to a Newbie member at minimum wage. 

Somebody needs to explain to Elon that AseanNow members/posters, whether a Newbie member or Grand Master member, don't get paid for their posts.  

Oh that Elon, he's such a penny pincher. 

We need to pay for badges now.

3 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

I particularly enjoyed the notification addressing me as ''Hey You...''.

Reminds me of my time when I lived in the Upper East rural region of Ghana, common greeting as i wondered through the food market.

In the Philippines a few years back, it was quite common to get a “Hey Joe” greeting if you were “Long Nose” (White).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

In the Philippines a few years back, it was quite common to get a “Hey Joe” greeting if you were “Long Nose” (White).

How do you know when you've been in the Philippines too long?

When you don't respond to "Hey Joe" even when your name is Joe.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

I particularly enjoyed the notification addressing me as ''Hey You...''.

Reminds me of my time when I lived in the Upper East rural region of Ghana, common greeting as i wondered through the food market.

Eastern Ghana that would be "Yevu" they were calling - white man. In western Ghana it's usually "Oburoni" or "Broni" - foreigner .

I spent three years in Takoradi.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Eastern Ghana that would be "Yevu" they were calling - white man. In western Ghana it's usually "Oburoni" or "Broni" - foreigner .

I spent three years in Takoradi.

When I was there the term obruni was used a lot when I travelled, but other regional languages were different, I travelled to assess student teachers as part of my role.

''Hey you'' was a way of catching my attention when in the market [it happened once every three/four days and if you missed it you either went to Bawku or went hungry] in Pusiga, I spent two years there at the teacher training college as a VSO volunteer.

Had a friend know as Takoradi XXXX...he had some good stuff back then.

Edited by Bluespunk
typos and name of friend changed to XXXX

Just now, connda said:

How do I get recognition as a PITA member (Pain-in-the-<errrr>-buttocks-member)?

We have the POTY member.  We should have a PITA member as well. 
I nominate - myself!!!  I probably won't win as there are many more PITA members out there, but I'll put myself up to start the bidding.  I think we need a "Poll."

22 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

They always called me 'Sir' or 'Boss'.

I never hung with the guys other then the Filipinos onboard my ship.

I was much more enamored with the young ladies on Magsaysay in Olongapo.

My favorite which sticks with me to this day.  Suzie BJ.  And she didn't say "BJ."  She was a little more specific about it.

Suzie:  "My name is Suzie BJ, I give you BJ, you be my Boy Friend!" 

That is indelibly ingrained in my psyche - forever.  I never went with Suzie BJ, but she opened me the the possibilities available in the PI.  In fact, to this day, I prefer the PI over Thailand as far as women. 

You'll find a god in every golden cloister
A little flesh, a little history
I can feel an angel sliding up to me

Yet?  Here I am. 

<walking in to dark Air Conditioned bar; order a San Miguel;  To quote Murry Head's One Night in Bangkok which I consider to be one of the best songs every written:

One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble
Not much between despair and ecstasy
One night in Bangkok and the tough guys tumble
Can't be too careful with your company
I can feel the devil walking next to me  ❤️

Edited by connda
  • Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

''Hey you''

I was thinking "Yu-ve" sounds a little like "Hey-You" they use the same term in Togo as well.

I was working on a gold exploration project near Tarkwa. The kids would follow me around chanting a little song which I was assured meant "white man, white man give me a penny" but may well have meant something less kind. I enjoyed my time in Ghana, hard working good people.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Pib said:

Wow....with almost 27,000 posts...joining 15 years ago...I was just downgraded from a Star member to a Newbie member.  What did I do to deserve such a demotion AseanNow?!

Maybe they added in all the times we have been threatened with being banned?  :thumbsup:????

<laughs>  I'm being funny ya'll.  I actually like the New Aseannow a lot more nowadays, along with it's much more pleasant moderation.  Kudos to the Mods.  We love ya!  ❤️  You are part of us, especially those of you have been around a long time like some of us.

Edited by connda
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

That's the Thai equivalent of "Where you go!"

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Me too, I want a legendary member badge. I've also been banned for life, not many can say that ????

So, you're zombie like now?

Got the Zombie badge?

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Haha 1