North Korea says US drills push tensions to 'extreme red line' and threatens 'overwhelming nuclear force'

Social Media

Citing a visit to Seoul by US Defence Secretary Lloyd Austin who, with his South Korean counterpart, vowed to expand military exercises to counter North Korea's weapons development - Pyongyang warns the move threatens to turn the region into a "huge war arsenal".

The statement by the country's foreign ministry, carried by state news agency KCNA, said Pyongyang was not interested in dialogue as long as Washington pursues hostile policies.

"The military and political situation on the Korean peninsula and in the region has reached an extreme red line due to the reckless military confrontational manoeuvres and hostile acts of the US and its vassal forces," it said.

5 hours ago, heybruce said:

Standard North Korea play-book:  Un repeatedly reminds his people that only he can protect them from the horrors of prosperity and democracy that exist in South Korea.

Why not to help them with democracy as helped others so many times? 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Saanim said:

What all these hatred against North Korea? What did they do to world? Apart of that they tried to defend themselves when their country was bombed to rubble?

And another 70 years struggling to survive the blockades?

And what to think when one accusing them for sending weapons to Russia (even if denied and not confirmed)?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64072570

...while another urges their cousins for weapon to Ukraine?

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/01/30/asia/nato-chief-south-korea-speech-ukraine-intl-hnk/index.html

In what weird world do we live? 

Nothing weird at all, its gunho as usual.

1 hour ago, Saanim said:

What all these hatred against North Korea? What did they do to world? Apart of that they tried to defend themselves when their country was bombed to rubble?

And what to think when one accusing them for sending weapons to Russia (even if denied and not confirmed)?

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/01/30/asia/nato-chief-south-korea-speech-ukraine-intl-hnk/index.html

As was pointed out, North Korea wasn't defending itself, it invaded South Korea.  I assume you live in a weird world in which wars of aggression count as defensive.

1 hour ago, Saanim said:

Why not to help them with democracy as helped others so many times? 

Is that a joke?  Do you think Kim Jong Un, or any of the past North Korean leaders, would surrender their tyrannical dictatorship to allow democracy?

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

What don't you understand about the fact that it was the North that invaded the South in 1950?

50 minutes ago, heybruce said:

As was pointed out, North Korea wasn't defending itself, it invaded South Korea.  I assume you live in a weird world in which wars of aggression count as defensive.

Is that a joke?  Do you think Kim Jong Un, or any of the past North Korean leaders, would surrender their tyrannical dictatorship to allow democracy?

How touching the care about North Korea. And worry about their democracy? Don't you worry about democracy and other mischiefs in your own country?

Why not to leave the other 8 billion people alone? Do they need your worry - and wonderful care - about their problems?    

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

What don't you understand about the fact that it was the North that invaded the South in 1950?

(Similarly as in Vietnam, wasn't it?)

After 3 years of war and 3 millions deaths the DMZ line has not move 1 cm from the line that was drawn in 1945 after Potsdam Conference. 

Hadn't the Koreans suffered enough under Japan over centuries? 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Saanim said:

How touching the care about North Korea. And worry about their democracy? Don't you worry about democracy and other mischiefs in your own country?

Why not to leave the other 8 billion people alone? Do they need your worry - and wonderful care - about their problems?    

Your comments are becoming unhinged.

You are the one that suggested helping North Korea with democracy. Not BruceH. So you should take up that issue with yourself.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Your comments are becoming unhinged.

You are the one that suggested helping North Korea with democracy. Not BruceH. So you should take up that issue with yourself.

I think your sarcasm monitor may need topping up - see my post a couple above.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Saanim said:

(Similarly as in Vietnam, wasn't it?)

After 3 years of war and 3 millions deaths the DMZ line has not move 1 cm from the line that was drawn in 1945 after Potsdam Conference. 

Hadn't the Koreans suffered enough under Japan over centuries? 

Apparently, in the northern part of Korea  Koreans haven't suffered enough. At least that seems to be the opinion of the ruling Kim family:

How Did the North Korean Famine Happen?

"The North Korean government continues to maintain that 225,000 to 235,000 people died during the famine. Natsios, however, estimated that a figure between 2.5 million and 3.5 million deaths is reasonably accurate. He said that recorded death rates in towns, cities, and regions whose records were accessible show that somewhere between 10 and 19 percent of their populations perished in the famine. Tellingly, only 55 percent of people voted in North Korea's 1998 national elections—in a country in which not voting is a crime.

https://www.wilsoncenter.org/article/how-did-the-north-korean-famine-happen

Considering how small the population of North Korea is, on a per capita basis I think that makes Stalin, Hitler, and Mao look like pikers compared to whatever Kim was in charge at the time.

And that's not the only time famine plagued North Korea in the last 50 years.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Sarcasm only works if it's actually based on the comments it's directed against. In this instance, it clearly wasn't the case.

Up to you if you don't want to follow the conversation. The sarcasm was the initial post three hours ago "Why not to help them with democracy as helped others so many times?" which led to various further posts.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Salerno said:

Up to you if you don't want to follow the conversation. The sarcasm was the initial post three hours ago "Why not to help them with democracy as helped others so many times?" which led to various further posts.

But wasn't that also from Saanim? 

6 minutes ago, placeholder said:

But wasn't that also from Saanim? 

Correct, but then replied to by heybruce and that reply was replied to by Saanim (which is the one you arced up about) which unfortunately also had your post quoted. If you followed it from the initial sarcastic comment then I doubt you would have posted "You are the one that suggested helping North Korea with democracy. Not BruceH. So you should take up that issue with yourself."

Clear as mud now? 555

1 hour ago, Salerno said:

I don't believe so, I think it was a fairly valid dig at various excursions "the west" has indulged in over the years.

First and final notice:  Edit one of my posts into a wildly out of context snippet before replying once more and I will report you.

I'm tired of posters who lack the intelligence to reply to my posts shredding them into something they think they can reply to.

Edited by heybruce

1 hour ago, Saanim said:

You were called out for posting some dumb things, specifically "Apart of that they tried to defend themselves when their country was bombed to rubble?" and "Why not to help them with democracy as helped others so many times?"

Owe up to it.  Don't pretend the replies were not on target.

4 minutes ago, heybruce said:

First and final notice:  Edit one of my posts into a wildly out of context snippet before replying once more and I will report you.

I'm tired of posters who lack the intelligence to reply to my posts shredding them into something they think they can reply to.

Feel free to report it, It was edited to the specific point I replied to as per forum rules. My post didn't comment on anything other than that point, if you couldn't pick up on his sarcasm not my problem.

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Feel free to report it, It was edited to the specific point I replied to as per forum rules. My post didn't comment on anything other than that point, if you couldn't pick up on his sarcasm not my problem.

You replied to my post "Is that a joke?  Do you think Kim Jong Un, or any of the past North Korean leaders, would surrender their tyrannical dictatorship to allow democracy?"

You edited it down to "Is that a joke?" then replied with "I don't believe so, I think it was a fairly valid dig at various excursions "the west" has indulged in over the years."  Clearly you had no intelligent reply to my post, so you took it out of context.

Per your suggestion, I have reported you.

BTW:  What you call sarcasm was actually Saanim's attempt to deflect the topic away from North Korea and it's history of threatening war.  You know; the current topic.  The topic you also attempted to deflect away from.

Edited by heybruce
  • Haha 1

Is it just me, or have ALL the North Korean "nuclear" tests been underground and no radiation detected?That it could have just a couple of thousand tonnes of high-explosive? Or should I start wearing my Tin-Foil Hat again to protect me from conspiracy theories?

And Wiki confirms my view, that no radiation has been detected? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_North_Korean_nuclear_test

So is the mad Great Leader (and his dad and grandad) just carrying out a massive bluff, with the "threat" of a load of wobbly rockets that most of time just fall into the Pacific Ocean? With absolutely ZERO viable nuclear payload?

Edited by nglodnig

17 hours ago, Saanim said:

You are mistaken on the hating of North Korea what is hated is Kim and his family for subjecting the people of north Korea to his criminally horrific regime and threatening the rest of the world just like most people don’t hate the Russian people but do hate what putin is doing with them hope that helps but I doubt it sad ???? 

• Like 1