Paging Dr. AI? What ChatGPT and artificial intelligence could mean for the future of medicine

Social Media

CNN

CNN — 

Without cracking a single textbook, without spending a day in medical school, the co-author of a preprint study correctly answered enough practice questions that it would have passed the real US Medical Licensing Examination.

But the test-taker wasn’t a member of Mensa or a medical savant; it was the artificial intelligence ChatGPT.

The tool, which was created to answer user questions in a conversational manner, has generated so much buzz that doctors and scientists are trying to determine what its limitations are – and what it could do for health and medicine.

• Like 2

You should give ChatGPT a try, it’s stunning.

I asked it question regarding devising a engineering procedure, it’s answer was bang on.

For fun I asked the same procedure presented in the style of the King James Version of the Bible.

I came back with a KJV English rendition. 

It’s shockingly good.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

WOW!! This is so incredible....

A couple of years back I had a conversation with a lawyer friend on the prospect of AI taking over jobs.

His response was [paraphrased] ‘it won’t happen for legal work, there are too many complex issues to be considered in legal arguments’.

My response was something along the lines of ‘give it time’ 

I had in mind a decade or two, and yet here we are already.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1

Given how routinized medical care is, especially during the first session with a medical practitioner, if anything, AI is probably overkill when it comes to making an initial diagnosis. In fact, I suspect it could probably unqualifiedly do a better job in diagnosing an illness than could a medical professional

One thing we can sure of: the medical community will do all in its power to stop technology from making them redundant.