I got conflicting reports, can i change 1 year extension?

Hi all,

i red a few topics here and as far as i remember if you are on a 1 year extension based on thai wife, and you divorce

whats the timeline and what can you do?

some said u have to do an extension on SAME day, based on others eligible criteria... like thai child etc...

But i asked my visa agent they said you cant, you need to leave within 7 days, and come back with a new visa and you can extend that... (it seems like <deleted>? or is it not??)

i have 1 thai child, and we plan to have her under my custody after divorce.

can i go to immigration and do a new extension of 1 year based on my thai child? (is it have to be on the same day as sign divorce or within 7 days?)

can anyone please if you have the list of requirement for child extension post it here?

thank you so much

Viking

It would need to be done same day.

Seems you are on reasonable terms with current wife.

Was any thought given to deferring divorce till after expiry of current permission of stay.

As you are aware once you are divorced your extension is void. 

What the agent suggested of exiting Thailand as soon as divorced and reenter visa exempt and then apply for non O dependant child would also work and not silly suggestion. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

I've changed when divorced, to support of Thai child, and not on same day or even close to it.  I've also changed between support to retirement to marriage to retirement again, simply doing the extension at 'years' end of.

Simply changing reason for long stay, from marriage to retirement on TM7.   They've never question when (divorce/support) at Udon Thani, or retirement/marriage/retirement, both at Udon Thani & Hua Hin.

YMMV

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Simply changing reason for long stay, from marriage to retirement on TM7

When folk do that ie based on marriage to based on retirement often the wife needs to be present.

It's possible that they may wish to see proof of marriage at that time to ensure that your current extension is valid.

Appears you had no issue at UT immigration even though divorced prior to changing reason your extension is based on.

I wouldn't recommend that. 

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

When folk do that ie based on marriage to based on retirement often the wife needs to be present.

It's possible that they may wish to see proof of marriage at that time to ensure that your current extension is valid.

Appears you had no issue at UT immigration even though divorced prior to changing reason your extension is based on.

I wouldn't recommend that. 

Thank you for your input.

so in your opinion, its even possible to change my extension BEFORE divorce to thai child support extension?  (i was told i cant do Thai child extension until am legally married)  but if it possible to change before that is great news...  

2 minutes ago, VikingBlood said:

so in your opinion, its even possible to change my extension BEFORE divorce to thai child support extension?  (i was told i cant do Thai child extension until am legally married)  but if it possible to change before that is great news...  

I don't often suggest to talk with immigration office to discuss best option.

However thinking in your situation it might be best option. They may suggest a suitable option. 

You can change the reason for your extension however when divorcing it would be best to obtain "new" extension on same date as divorce granted. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VikingBlood said:

I would ask at your local IO, without informing them of the pending divorce.

I've changed 'mid extension' BUT was at the IOs that I mentioned; UT & HH.   If said extension has financial requirements, they need to be in place beforehand. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I would ask at your local IO, without informing them of the pending divorce.

I've changed 'mid extension' BUT was at the IOs that I mentioned; UT & HH.   If said extension has financial requirements, they need to be in place beforehand. 

I follow regarding change from eg based on marriage to based on retirement. 

That's a common change and visa vera.

Not sure what many immigration offices would regard change from based on marriage to based on support of Thai child while still married. 

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I follow regarding change from eg based on marriage to based on retirement. 

That's a common change and visa vera.

Not sure what many immigration offices would regard change from based on marriage to based on support of Thai child while still married. 

Hence why suggested to ask at local IO, and if willing to do, make sure to sit in front of that person when doing ... ????

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Hence why suggested to ask at local IO, and if willing to do, make sure to sit in front of that person when doing ... ????

You also stated this ....

"I've changed when divorced, to support of Thai child, and not on same day or even close to it."

So you were able to change from extension based on marriage to based on support of Thai child some time AFTER divorce.

I find that unusual as you would have been on overstay. 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

You also stated this ....

"I've changed when divorced, to support of Thai child, and not on same day or even close to it."

So you were able to change from extension based on marriage to based on support of Thai child some time AFTER divorce.

I find that unusual as you would have been on overstay. 

Technically, yes, but I don't think they care, as a bit nit pickng, iMO, and apparently theirs.  Actually was probably done at Nong Khai, as don't think UT had an IO then.  If familiar with that office, Mr Happy actually liked me, and I liked him doing my ext, where others dreaded getting him, as he'd pick your financials apart, or so reported on local forum.

Of course, depends on IO.  Again, why one should ask.  YMMV

You see to keep missing that part of my reply.

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

You see to keep missing that part of my reply

Have not missed it at all.

IMO you were fortunate and clearly were on overstay.

Part of your posts put that out as a solution to obtain extension based on support of a child, some time after divorce. 

It's not a viable option. 

what happened to you is similar what happened to me.

after you divorce, you need to go to the immigration with your red divorce certificate. they will cancel your visa and will tell you to leave the country. 

you can extend your visa regarding to your child.

you can leave the country in 24 days (time may change)

thats all your options. bare in mind that the divorce date is on the document. 

also there is no one knows your are divorced. amphue and immigration has no contact at all. immigration only can know when you go to them. so.. you may just leave the country when you are close to your visa expiration. leave the country and get another non-o based on child. (dont know the details how to get that)

good luck