Do I go on a Diet or follow this Expat advice .

tomgreen

10 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

1 - That's factually wrong. It's never too late to improve your diet. The human body is actually remarkably resilient. 

2 - One of the most difficult parts of trying to eat healthy is that most people around you are fixed in their ways and will never change. So they will try to drag you back down with them. So that means you're better off keeping it to yourself. Don't tell people what you're doing. Not only that, but having a very active social life conflicts with health goals because people are mostly eating unhealthy. You may need to radically change your social life to stick to serious health goals. Are you ready to do that? If not, you might make it. 

I agree he can and should try to eat healthier but the concept of "dieting" is passe for very good reasons. But temper expectations. 

Having a good social network in old age is arguably more important than body weight to health. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 1

A big thanks to every one for your input and advice . I was hoping that some one could make a comment on the main fact that the majority of those expats in their early 70s seem to be making which was when your reach the ripe old age of say 70 , any future real attempt to alter your life style through a diet or other method is going to be a complete waste of time .

Those expats sitting around the table were it seems convinced that when some one reaches that point in their life ( 70 years old or more ) then the most rewarding path to take would not be to start a diet in the hope that doing so may increase their life span by a few months , but to throw the diet sheet in the dustbin and just eat , drink and be merry until their final day arrives.

I wonder if there’s any actual long term medical evidence that may prove without a doubt that in fact if you are 70 years or older , going on a diet or life style change will not make much difference when it comes to extending your actual life span. So you should just appreciate your remaining years and enjoy your food and drink to the fullest .

Study A = In this study the 70 year old and over people followed a healthy life style including following a diet plan until their final day arrived .

Study B = In this study the 70 year old and over people were not on diets or planned healthy life style changes , they were allowed to eat and drink what ever the wanted until their final day arrived .

I wonder out of A & B , which study contained the highest number of people who lived the longest .:shock1:

4 minutes ago, tomgreen said:

A big thanks to every one for your input and advice . I was hoping that some one could make a comment on the main fact that the majority of those expats in their early 70s seem to be making which was when your reach the ripe old age of say 70 , any future real attempt to alter your life style through a diet or other method is going to be a complete waste of time .

Those expats sitting around the table were it seems convinced that when some one reaches that point in their life ( 70 years old or more ) then the most rewarding path to take would not be to start a diet in the hope that doing so may increase their life span by a few months , but to throw the diet sheet in the dustbin and just eat , drink and be merry until their final day arrives.

I wonder if there’s any actual long term medical evidence that may prove without a doubt that in fact if you are 70 years or older , going on a diet or life style change will not make much difference when it comes to extending your actual life span. So you should just appreciate your remaining years and enjoy your food and drink to the fullest .

Study A = In this study the 70 year old and over people followed a healthy life style including following a diet plan until their final day arrived .

Study B = In this study the 70 year old and over people were not on diets or planned healthy life style changes , they were allowed to eat and drink what ever the wanted until their final day arrived .

I wonder out of A & B , which study contained the highest number of people who lived the longest .:shock1:

I'm almost 69 and being adopting a gradual changes as I learn more. I'm now on a fairly low carb, mediterranean diet and intermittent fasting on most days. I've also started strength gym training for the first time in my life. Everything you need you know is in the link I gave you. It's literally never too late and the older you are the more you need to make the change.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Walker88 said:

Oh, and do you know most fat people stink? Folds of blubber in spare tires or beer bellies allow bacteria in the folds (called panniculi) to fester. Toss in the heat and humidity of Thailand, and BOOM! Rancid.

I don't agree with everything you said, but this I experienced myself. I am not too fat, I'm 196cm and 94kg and I do cardio, but I do enjoy sugar. I noticed that when I drastically reduced my sugar intake the sweat from my armpits almost had no odour. When I was stuffing myself with sweets it would alwas smell almost like pee.

I

no need for an extreme diet such as IF or low carb as you aren't that overweight. First which is the easiest is cut out the fatty junk food, i find once a week works well. Fatty junk food = Crisps, pastries, chocolate, ice cream, biscuits etc. Alcohol will add up too if daily

9 hours ago, ozimoron said:

I'm almost 69 and being adopting a gradual changes as I learn more. I'm now on a fairly low carb, mediterranean diet and intermittent fasting on most days. I've also started strength gym training for the first time in my life. Everything you need you know is in the link I gave you. It's literally never too late and the older you are the more you need to make the change.

Motivation, genetics and also felt happiness and satisfaction is more of the package. If you hate what you doing to makecchanges, then I would say what's the point, unless you are an abuser of food and drinks, then most will have a remarkable changeto their life, as well losing weight doing something you like. 

My experience is, life is better with structure and discipline living normal weekdays like going to work doing something you enjoy, and also have weekends and holidays. 

Become old, who believe that is to rest, eat and drink, and waste your time doing nothing for making tomorrow better? It is up to you?

76 kg doesn't sound to obese to me, but if little muscles, you might find it rewarding gaining some mass, and at the same time loose some fat in the process. 

Elastic bands have become the new home gym, and it can make a huge difference in your remaining years on this planet. Just the enderfines created by activity will hopefully get you hooked. 

I'm not thinking about adding years to my age, Im focusing on making my days left better and richer. 

10 hours ago, tomgreen said:

I wonder if there’s any actual long term medical evidence that may prove without a doubt that in fact if you are 70 years or older , going on a diet or life style change will not make much difference when it comes to extending your actual life span. So you should just appreciate your remaining years and enjoy your food and drink to the fullest. 

The article linked earlier in the thread suggests that in terms of overall mortality this is somewhat true, although losing a bit of weight can certainly help with such things as GERD, mobility problems etc.

"Likewise, we don’t fully understand the relationship between weight and overall mortality. Many of us assume it’s a linear relationship, meaning the higher your BMI, the higher your risk of early death. But Katherine Flegal, an epidemiologist with the CDC, has consistently found a J-shaped curve, with the highest death rates among those at either end of the BMI spectrum and the lowest rates in the “overweight” and “mildly obese” categories."

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

Motivation, genetics and also felt happiness and satisfaction is more of the package. If you hate what you doing to makecchanges, then I would say what's the point, unless you are an abuser of food and drinks, then most will have a remarkable changeto their life, as well losing weight doing something you like. 

My experience is, life is better with structure and discipline living normal weekdays like going to work doing something you enjoy, and also have weekends and holidays. 

Become old, who believe that is to rest, eat and drink, and waste your time doing nothing for making tomorrow better? It is up to you?

76 kg doesn't sound to obese to me, but if little muscles, you might find it rewarding gaining some mass, and at the same time loose some fat in the process. 

Elastic bands have become the new home gym, and it can make a huge difference in your remaining years on this planet. Just the enderfines created by activity will hopefully get you hooked. 

I'm not thinking about adding years to my age, Im focusing on making my days left better and richer. 

Changing diet is just changing one's habits. It isn't about things you hate. Not liking seafood or coffee without milk is state of mind. Change and the mind changes too.

Re you're last sentence. They are inseparable. Anything which improves the quality of life will make you live longer in the context of diet and exercise.

18 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Changing diet is just changing one's habits. It isn't about things you hate. Not liking seafood or coffee without milk is state of mind. Change and the mind changes too.

Re you're last sentence. They are inseparable. Anything which improves the quality of life will make you live longer in the context of diet and exercise.

I have met enough people who know very well what they should do, and not do, but can not do it! They still continue to eat what is bad for them, eat more than they should, and more than they should. No doubt they hated the change, and had no passion or patience to stay on that for them narrow road with few satisfying options.

There is no guarantee if you change you lifestyle, you will live longer if you start at the age of 70. As I stated in my first line, it is genetics, motivation and also of course underlying health at the moment, that might improve if you make a change, but still that doesnt mean any guarantee for you to live longer.

The outcome is unknown. Of course if heavy smoker, obese, alcoholic, drug addict, diabetic, you can add a few years, thats obvious. 

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

I have met enough people who know very well what they should do, and not do, but can not do it! They still continue to eat what is bad for them, eat more than they should, and more than they should. No doubt they hated the change, and had no passion or patience to stay on that for them narrow road with few satisfying options.

There is no guarantee if you change you lifestyle, you will live longer if you start at the age of 70. As I stated in my first line, it is genetics, motivation and also of course underlying health at the moment, that might improve if you make a change, but still that doesnt mean any guarantee for you to live longer.

The outcome is unknown. Of course if heavy smoker, obese, alcoholic, drug addict, diabetic, you can add a few years, thats obvious. 

I don't need a guarantee to want to continually improve my lifestyle and diet. It's not just adding the few years, it's the quality of those years and the years before that. Right from the very next week each change is made.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I don't need a guarantee to want to continually improve my lifestyle and diet. It's not just adding the few years, it's the quality of those years and the years before that. Right from the very next week each change is made.

We agree ????%

As well maintain good mental health, many focus on body only, and not the mind.

Edited by Hummin
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, huangnon said:

If you have no major health issues, why worry, imo.

To postpone the onset of major health issues as long as possible. I doubt the OP is fully aware of the state of his health. And he didn't say he has NO issues presently.

16 minutes ago, huangnon said:

Your physical health can be influenced by mental state as much as anything. Carry on doing what you enjoy.

No. I've seen what poor results that attitude leads to--unless of course the mental state encourages a healthy lifestyle.

In fact, all these "happy" self-congratulating old fat guys don't have good physical health and are chasing docs and meds to try to suppress symptoms of the usual chronic diseases arising from an unhealthy lifestyle. They don't like talking about that for some reason, except in the Health forum. Good reading there.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

Well now that I read that the author doesn't have a serious weight problem it's worth noting he would not be a candidate for bariatric surgery or the new revolutionary anti obesity meds if they were available in Thailand. 

My suggestion of a middle path stands.

Forget about a traditional go on a diet plan. Diets just don't work. Why torture yourself for nothing?

Do consider changing the foods you eat to more health promoting ones and limit the health threatening ones as much as you can.

You might consider researching Intermittant fasting.

Ignore the dogmatic extremists on both sides.

Enjoy your retired life in Thailand. 

You're doing well already not having a serious weight problem. At least be vigilant to make sure it doesn't get worse. Dieting could easily make it worse.

Edited by Jingthing

I agree it should be about quality of life.

Longevity with a <deleted> quality of life isn't so great.

I think you can improve your quality of life by changing the foods you eat.

Losing weight and keeping it off is again statistically very unlikely.

I treat my health like a statistical game trying to stack the deck in my favor as much as I can.

One of the strategies I adopted years ago was urotherapy after researching the centuries of succesful results, reading dozens of books and the exceptional testimonials of profound life enhancing changes experienced by those with the positive self esteem to shoot for the stars.

I Drink a liter of urine daily plus topical application.   My weight went to ideal within a month. About 30 pounds lost.   And has stayed steady for years. The urine eradicates the deposits of poisons encapsulated in fat around the body quickly. The urine tastes better on a natural food diet so it is easy to eliminate fast food and other denatured foods and drink.  So many other profound life changing benefits too. 

Its easy, free, effective, and no side affects.  Lots of books available with a simple google search.

Good luck in achieving your goals in nutrition and weight.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mark Nothing said:

I treat my health like a statistical game trying to stack the deck in my favor as much as I can.

One of the strategies I adopted years ago was urotherapy after researching the centuries of succesful results, reading dozens of books and the exceptional testimonials of profound life enhancing changes experienced by those with the positive self esteem to shoot for the stars.

I Drink a liter of urine daily plus topical application.   My weight went to ideal within a month. About 30 pounds lost.   And has stayed steady for years. The urine eradicates the deposits of poisons encapsulated in fat around the body quickly. The urine tastes better on a natural food diet so it is easy to eliminate fast food and other denatured foods and drink.  So many other profound life changing benefits too. 

Its easy, free, effective, and no side affects.  Lots of books available with a simple google search.

Good luck in achieving your goals in nutrition and weight.

No.

https://www.webmd.com/diet/health-benefits-drinking-urine

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

I am not going to debate this particular issue.

just wanted to make a general comment.

this is one potential problem with going down the path of trying to improve health.

that some of the health advice is questionable and possibly harmful.

and in some cases people who do nothing are better off than people who take on bad advice.

Absolutely 

36 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

I am not going to debate this particular issue.

just wanted to make a general comment.

this is one potential problem with going down the path of trying to improve health.

that some of the health advice is questionable and possibly harmful.

and in some cases people who do nothing are better off than people who take on bad advice.

Bad advice can readily be checked. People who take on good advice are better off than those who do nothing. 

21 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Bad advice can readily be checked. People who take on good advice are better off than those who do nothing. 

I've been reading health blogs for years and some information is still confusing.

It's not always easy to discern good from bad advice.

But it's too subjective, so I'll let this argument go. 

The other problem with that person's post is he is advocating something most people will find grotesque and repulsive.

So that may turn the OP off forever from seeking health advice. 
Let's not frighten the children. 

Edited by save the frogs
  • Like 1

calories in versus calories out for weight loss . 

energy has to come from somewhere  for you to walk, talk , breathe , pumping the heart with blood , scratching your head , thinking etc . 

you can eat all the healthy foods , nuts , salmon, brown rice, salads , but if you eat more calories than you are expending each day you will gain weight. 

you could eat nothing but deep fried chicken and lose weight , so long as you are expending more energy than you take in

google "john cisna teacher weight loss " 

food is the main source of energy for the body 

if food is scarce the body will use it's reserves ( fat and muscle ) for energy ( when you are on a diet )

when fat is depleted it will start eating itself to preserve life ( muscle and tissue ) 

to keep as much muscle as you can on a diet it is wise to do some form of resistance training and to eat a high protein diet .

you need to be in a calorie deficit which you create by eating less, exercising more ( swimming ,running , walking etc ) or both . track the calories you consume and be under your maintenance figure by about 500 calories a day . walk 4 times a week for 30 minutes to an hour . you could easily lose 1 - 2 pound a week . i lost 10 kg doing this and drinking beers every weekend , going to restaurants etc 

go on a bodybuilding forum and you will receive loads of good advice on how to do it

good luck 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/7/2023 at 12:03 PM, tomgreen said:

I’m 74 years of age and in general good health with no past real health issues other than being over weight for my height at 76.4 Kg .

"Real." Any minor health issues? Had a comprehensive blood test recently? What do the numbers show?

So you need to lose about 7 kg or a bit more. Not so much. But "dieting" is about more than just weight loss. For example, you can be skinny yet still have fatty liver disease. Blood lipids play their part.

If you want to fight aging--a rational goal I certainly share--it involves having good metabolic health, therefore good body composition, healthy diet, and regular exercise. Healthspan must be primary, a point your old fat expats try not to think about, or delude themselves, as they chase docs and meds to alleviate symptoms.

Longer lifespan, and fewer years of suffering at the end, will likely result from longer healthspan. Why?

Normally, barring accidents and bad luck, people die of chronic diseases. Centenarians have the genes to resist them much longer. Since you're probably stuck with the off brand genes (no, your 95-year-old grandmother or great uncle ain't you), the goal should be to postpone chronic diseases manually, so to speak, by adjusting your lifestyle towards avoidance (as the centenarians didn't have to). If not, you acquire them early, often in your 50s.

Peter Attia makes this point in his youtube lecture, Reverse engineered approach to human longevity.

On 2/7/2023 at 12:03 PM, tomgreen said:

This diet I am doing I have to leave out or reduce many types of foods and drinks that I have come to really love and enjoy. 

For example? You might ask yourself why you are compelled to love and enjoy them so much and eliminate the reason.

But you may be able to become accustomed to not missing them at all after a time, hard as that may be to believe. I once thought I'd never give up pizza. Then I lost all desire for it, haven't had any in years. There's no need to eat pizza. You may be able to substitute a healthier food or drink that's satisfying enough.

I forgot who said this, but knowing that your food is promoting your health and not killing you makes it taste so much better.???? 

Edited by BigStar