Do I go on a Diet or follow this Expat advice .

tomgreen

On 2/7/2023 at 7:58 PM, save the frogs said:

but having a very active social life conflicts with health goals because people are mostly eating unhealthy.

The other side of that is that there seems to be proof now that having good family and friend relationships is very good for longevity... maybe looking for friends who eat healthy too will help. 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

who wants to listen to a load of fat blokes giving diet advice

It is the fat blokes who have had experience w/every diet out there... skinny people, bless their hearts, many of them can eat all they want, overload 3 plates at the buffet and then criticize people for getting fat.. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

It is the fat blokes who have had experience w/every diet out there... skinny people, bless their hearts, many of them can eat all they want, overload 3 plates at the buffet and then criticize people for getting fat.. 

Yeah that's the excuse, some people put 5kg on and work out what causes it and what solves it, other people wait until they get to 120kg then struggle

• Thumbs Up 2

38 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yeah that's the excuse, some people put 5kg on and work out what causes it and what solves it, other people wait until they get to 120kg then struggle

And others put on that extra 5 kg fight it like crazy and lose the weight then put it back in a brief inhale. A never ever ending battle, that ends with 95% of the people putting the weight back on - - there is lots of newer research that points to other issues than will power as reason for weight gain... but skinny people like to think they are better just because they don't suffer the affliction. It is totally shallow and extremely obnoxious. 

I wouldn't make fun of anyone, even you, because you look like Kramer... 

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Not that simple. We see how fat people eat.

I've seen a woman eat an entire cake in ninety minutes. I've seen a guy eat an entire large pizza.

My fat boss years ago was choking down pizza so fast that she almost puked. Then she said... Uggh, I think I'm gonna be sick... Seriously, FTW! At work. She was way out of her league in that position. Hired by fat HR woman.

Edited by SuperSilverHaze
  • Like 2

On 2/7/2023 at 6:03 AM, tomgreen said:

76.4 Kg

I DREAM of being that weight

Here's a TRUE story - a colleague of mine used to make fun of my weight. His arms were like pipe stems, he only would only eat breakfast in the morning and ONCE A WEEK would have an evening meal (no lunch of course).

Sad to say, he's had a kidney removed, is riddled with cancer and has COPD (smoking Capstan Full Strength instead of eating didn't help).

Meanwhile I am overweight, some would way say obese - but I'm healthy.

Weight in itself is not an indicator of bad health unless there are other symptoms.

Which luckily so far I have none - blood pressure normal, for a start. I do exercise though but not a great deal and try and avoid carbs.

Edited by nglodnig

57 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

And others put on that extra 5 kg fight it like crazy and lose the weight then put it back in a brief inhale. A never ever ending battle, that ends with 95% of the people putting the weight back on - - there is lots of newer research that points to other issues than will power as reason for weight gain... but skinny people like to think they are better just because they don't suffer the affliction. It is totally shallow and extremely obnoxious. 

Stop making excuses and start doing the right things. I think we should make fun of fat people, it shouldn't be normalised

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm 76 years old. My height is 175cm (5'9")

At the age of 73 I weighed 110k  (240lbs.)  My waist size was 44"  I now weigh 71k (156lbs.) Waist 33"

It took a year to remove the excess weight, but the beneficial difference in overall health and body condition is on an order of magnitude.  I began my dietary changes to lose weight, but discovered that all the positive body changes (i.e. reduction of inflammation of joints, better sleep, better mobility, clearer skin... the list goes on and on, and that is what has kept me following this food lifestyle for past two+ years after the weight reduction succeeded.

If you are tired of having your stomach enter a room two minutes before the rest of your body, you might consider the Keto lifestyle. It works.  It's not a diet... It's a way of approaching eating from a different perspective.  Cut out sugar and starches. That will do the trick.  And if you find you are missing your cookies, cakes, and French fries, well.... Have some!  It's not a 'Prison Diet!' It's something you are choosing to do for yourself.  Have the french fries. Have the Ice cream and cookies one day. Or what ever it is that you feel you can't live without. THEN... get back on the Keto wagon again until you feel the need to break it again. I break my diet several times a year.

There is no need to suffer.  Do what you can for your better health.

Keto works. It's a healthy way to eat ... if my last three yearly health checkups at the hospital are correct. Right now I've broken the diet for a few days to enjoy some food gifts that I received, but will be re-starting Keto on Saturday. Why? Because after a few days following Keto, my body just feels better!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SuperSilverHaze said:

Not that simple. We see how fat people eat.

I've seen a woman eat an entire cake in ninety minutes. I've seen a guy eat an entire large pizza.

My fat boss years ago was choking down pizza so fast that she almost puked. Then she said... Uggh, I think I'm gonna be sick... Seriously, FTW! At work. She was way out of her league in that position. Hired by fat HR woman.

Yes, of course, I have seen that too - - but it is definitely not all fat people... most fat people I know fight it like the wind and have trouble making any traction... if you have not fought that battle, you surely wouldn't know... 

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Stop making excuses and start doing the right things. I think we should make fun of fat people, it shouldn't be normalised

Kramer - - you are totally clueless, and what you are suggesting is cruel and despicably mean... I would much rather be in a room of fat people that viciously cruel people... 

On 2/7/2023 at 6:03 PM, tomgreen said:

The above comments made by those other 70 + year old expats got me thinking , could they some how be on the right track and at my age I’m foolish to attempt any life style changes in the hope that I live just a few months longer or should I follow all the other 70 + year old expats advice and just eat , drink and be merry until my final day arrives. 

Depends on the foods you enjoy. Being pre diabetic I gave up sugary food and lost 10 kilos without restricting my food intake. It's not a "diet" because that implies a temporary thing. To work it has to be permanent.

and yes, I miss sugary food as much as an alcoholic misses booze.

At your age you are probably more likely to get diabetes, with all it's problems, but as always up to you.

Get a trainer. If you're a lazy sod like me, what you think is a real work out is about 60% of a real workout. I'm losing a steady 2+ kilos a month, still having a few drinks a week, and a croissant for breakfast. (I'm 70).

Most days, I do a croissant and cappa, a 7/11 protein shake, and then whatever I want (except fried food) for dinner. Before I go to bed, I have another protein shake. It makes me sleep like a rock.

7 hours ago, 473geo said:

Double the amount of sex you enjoy, see where that takes you ????

At best, to 76?

NEW DELHI, June 14 (Reuters) - A 76-year-old man who had 39 wives and 94 children and was said to be the head of the world’s largest family has died in north east India, the chief minister of his home state said.

--https://www.reuters.com/world/india/man-with-39-wives-head-worlds-largest-family-dies-india-2021-06-14/

On 2/7/2023 at 12:42 PM, Negita43 said:

Whilst important, weight is not the only factor to consider if you want to extend your life - for example excessive alcohol, no exercise, smoking, family history. All of these may also be factors what ever you do about your weight.

There's a medical consensus that the key issue in extending life when over 60 is not so much weight but exercise.This seems to be the case even when there are pre-existing conditions like diabetes or high blood pressure.I doubt whether this is relevant in the case of morbid obesity but is certainly the case for most moderately overweight seniors.The surprising aspect for me is that only about 150 minutes per week (of fast walking for example) is necessary.My hunch is that with this level of exercise, restricted carbs, no smoking and limited booze - seniors should easily exceed 70.But there are also genetics to be considered - and not much one can do about that.

Incidentally I don't think there are many intrinsic factors that prevent seniors from losing weight.I've often seen success stories in those of 70 and above, in all cases the main factor being eating less.Exercise is important for health - but of limited value when losing weight.

10 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Get a trainer. If you're a lazy sod like me, what you think is a real work out is about 60% of a real workout. I'm losing a steady 2+ kilos a month, still having a few drinks a week, and a croissant for breakfast. (I'm 70).

Most days, I do a croissant and cappa, a 7/11 protein shake, and then whatever I want (except fried food) for dinner. Before I go to bed, I have another protein shake. It makes me sleep like a rock.

I'm trying not to be personal, but if I had to give up all the non sugary food I like eating as well as sugary food I'd last about 1 day on your lifestyle.

While I reached my weight of the 1990s by giving up sugar, I did not regain my body shape, and given that at my age in this country I'm never going to attract an attractive woman I really don't care if my tummy still overhangs my legs.

2 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

As said, dicipline and a bit structure in life, doesnt hurt anyone, but it seems for many, it is difficult! 

Cant cure laziness unless the reward is big enough.

Often when people get knife on the troat, they start doing something. It is quite remarkable, some people need a dr to tell them they will die soon if they do not change, often after a decade with bad health and problems. First then they react, at least some I personally know, and also articles I have seen and read.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm trying not to be personal, but if I had to give up all the non sugary food I like eating as well as sugary food I'd last about 1 day on your lifestyle.

While I reached my weight of the 1990s by giving up sugar, I did not regain my body shape, and given that at my age in this country I'm never going to attract an attractive woman I really don't care if my tummy still overhangs my legs.

There you go, you see no reward by changing, therefor you have no energy or interest to change.

What if better mental health is the reward, leads to less pain physically and mentally, would that be a big enough reward to do changes? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jayboy said:

There's a medical consensus that the key issue in extending life when over 60 is not so much weight but exercise.This seems to be the case even when there are pre-existing conditions like diabetes or high blood pressure.I doubt whether this is relevant in the case of morbid obesity but is certainly the case for most moderately overweight seniors.The surprising aspect for me is that only about 150 minutes per week (of fast walking for example) is necessary.My hunch is that with this level of exercise, restricted carbs, no smoking and limited booze - seniors should easily exceed 70.But there are also genetics to be considered - and not much one can do about that.

Incidentally I don't think there are many intrinsic factors that prevent seniors from losing weight.I've often seen success stories in those of 70 and above, in all cases the main factor being eating less.Exercise is important for health - but of limited value when losing weight.

Losing weight was easy for me and all I did was giving up eating sugar at the amount I ate it before. I also did no more exercise of any sort than previously.

However, I've never been a glutton.

I repeat- I did NOT eat less. I just gave up sugary drinks, chocolate, cakes, sweet biscuits, the cream buns, etc and things like pizzas and white bread which are easily converted to sugar in the body.

We're not too far apart if I'm eating a croissant in 4 bites in the morning.

Carbs, pref. salty, are my god. Over time, I lost my taste for/weaned myself off/ sweet stuff, just like I am now consciously eating less deep-fried food.

But if a person is alternating a treadmill day with a weight training day and does 5 of those 1-hour days a week, they can indeed pretty much eat whatever they want and lose weight. That, as much as longevity, was my motivator to get a trainer.  

I had a lovely shrimp tempura last night. And an avocado crab roll, and big glass of sake. I still came in under calories and in the lose-category for the day for my excercise-adjusted calorie allowance.

And I get up off a typically ultra-saggy Thai sofa with a lot more spring and assurance.

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

There you go, you see no reward by changing, therefor you have no energy or interest to change.

What if better mental health is the reward, leads to less pain physically and mentally, would that be a big enough reward to do changes? 

I did change, so what are you on about? I gave up sugar as much as possible which was and still is a battle.

I see no mental health improvement from losing over 10 kg and back to weight in 1990s when I really was fit.

To be honest I'd rather be fatter and able to enjoy sugary food than live without. I'm never going to get laid by an attractive woman again so why would I care anyway?

BTW I was never clinically obese, just overweight.

5 minutes ago, stupidfarang said:

You can cut out things like white bread, butter and fattie products and reduce beer intake.

I am reminded of when I asked for low fat cheese at an English street market. The Cheese monger said, "Just eat less of it, Mate".

And then he added:

"Bleedin' Americans".

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I reckon on these diet type threads people should leave a signature of Weight, BMI, blood numbers, fitness level,  who wants to listen to a load of fat blokes giving diet advice

I've returned to my weight of 30 years ago, under 90 kg, no idea what my BMI is, not going to pay for a blood test just for this , can shovel about a ton of dirt a day.

Not bad for a bloke of my age, I reckon.