Do I go on a Diet or follow this Expat advice .

tomgreen

I’m 74 years of age and in general good health with no past real health issues other than being over weight for my height at 76.4 Kg . I am currently trying to reduce my weight by going on a diet. This diet I am doing I have to leave out or reduce many types of foods and drinks that I have come to really love and enjoy. 

I’m hoping that being on this new diet will not only reduce my body weight , but in some way help extend my life span , by becoming more healthy.

I belong to a local Expats Club and attend the weekly get togethers where I and other local expats talk about many things , including personal health subjects.  At the last expat get together those other expats who are also all in their early 70s . listened to my daily diet routine and my comments about how I miss many things food and drink wise that I now have to leave out .

I would say that the vast majority of those other expats sitting around the table and who had been listening to my diet comments , mumbled the words ‘’ stupid ‘’ and ‘’ waste of time ‘’ . Their other comments after hearing about my diet routine consisted of the following …......................

In their minds once you reach the age of 70 , any attempt to reduce your body weight , even if its done in an attempt to extend your life span or personal fitness , is a complete waste of time and in their view going on a diet at my age would have no real benefits or general positive outcome. 

At my age ( 74 ) in their minds the only thing that attempting a diet or life style changes will achieve is unhappiness and mental stress . The majority of those expats sitting around the table said that I should instantly abandon my diet and just enjoy my remaining years eating and drinking what ever I wanted . 

One 76 year old very vocal expat made the comment that he would never consider giving up the things he like to eat or drink by going on a diet or life style changes , that just maybe only add a few extra months to his life span . 

The above comments made by those other 70 + year old expats got me thinking , could they some how be on the right track and at my age I’m foolish to attempt any life style changes in the hope that I live just a few months longer or should I follow all the other 70 + year old expats advice and just eat , drink and be merry until my final day arrives. 

Do you agree with those 70 + year old expats and their comments . 

:thumbsup:

• Sad 1

Just now, Woof999 said:

I am by no means a medical expert, so take my response with a pinch of salt (not too much though, salt is bad for you).

I think the expats have a point, but there is middle ground too. Drastic changes are hard to stick with long term and losing weight is purely about burning more calories than you consume, so a diet alone is, IMHO, not the way forward.

All that aside... you weight almost exactly 12 stones, which, unless you are a dwarf, isn't particularly overweight in my view. I would rather be a little overweight but content with my lifestyle than in peak physical shape while being bored.

Im 5'8, 172 cm and change, not a dwarf, certainly not a giant. 76+ kg for me would be 10-12 kilos overweight. In my mind that is a massive overage

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, tomgreen said:

five feet six and a half inches tall

in that case I would very seriously consider slimming down. You aren't obese, but you are high mid overweight when it comes to your BMI (a flawed metric, i realize)

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, tomgreen said:

five feet six and a half inches tall

If you feel well, I'd agree with the expats, your weight is not too bad for your age and I wouldn't worry about dieting. What I do believe, however, is that you should keep your weight as is, don't smoke and don't drink too much alcohol and get plenty of exercise.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, delgarcon said:

You're obviously one of the argumentative clowns regular to the forums!

obviously. Quoting facts as supported by a BMI chart anyone can read is down right unreasonable.

Edited by n00dle
  • Thumbs Up 1

Whilst important, weight is not the only factor to consider if you want to extend your life - for example excessive alcohol, no exercise, smoking, family history. All of these may also be factors what ever you do about your weight.

Edited by Negita43
  • Thumbs Up 1

as you are overweight you should lose some.

Either diet, physical activity or combination of them.

Whether you will live longer it's speculative, but your quality of life will be higher (you will extend your mobility and many other).

You might live another 20 years, never too late to start taking care of your body by whatever means possible.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gaining weight is a sign of heathy aging. Once you get past the age of 65/70 (depending on the study), moderate excess weight is protective. It's called the 'obesity paradox in aging' if you want to look into it yourself. The paradox is that the excess weight still increases the cardiovascular risk, but it decreases the risk of dying from it. (That's a gross simplification, but it's the gist.)

Waist circumference and flexibility/mobility are far better guides to potential problems than weight or BMI at this age. 

(This doesn't apply if you are obese or have weight-affected comorbidities like diabetes.)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

n old colleague, he was in mid 60s at the time, remarked that he would rather be happy and die younger than miserable and live longer. he had terrible eating habits - breakfast was 7 11 sausages for example. He died aged 70. i assume and hope he was happy!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The benefits of weight loss (where it is needed) go well beyond  longevity.

Greatly improves quality of life by reducing incidence  of painful musculoskeletal conditions...back problems  worn out hips and jnes etc. 

Now whether or not you need to lose weight -- and if so how best to do it --- can't say without more info. 

Of course but once a person in their 70's is overweight/obese, surely you must know how remote significant weight loss that is kept off really is (short of bariatric or one of the new wave of diabetes meds now being used for obesity).

BTW what is the status of those in Thailand?

I am just suggesting that people not be masochists. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Nothing said:

I do not agree with your 70+ year old expat friends. Improving the quality of your nutrition and reaching your ideal  body weight will enhance your quality of life.  I believe you can achieve your weight and health goals at any age if you desire it and follow the right formula.

Avoiding poison food and drink that has been denatured is a good starting point.  Your body encapsulates the poisons you ingest via the formation of fat cells stored around the body to prevent harm until it can be eliminated through the normal channels.  This process works better when stress free. 

Develop new favorite foods and drinks that enable this.  Forget about your old favorites.  It is easy once you realize the denatured garbage is robbing you of quality of life.

You believe it.

Diets do not work: The thin evidence that losing weight makes you healthier. (slate.com)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Its not just about diet. You need to do a little exercise. Even if it is just some walking.

Listening to people with the mindset that it is too late in life to change will do you no good.

You will of course also have to acknowledge that some of the foods you love are not good for you, and will have to either cut them right out, or keep them as special treats in your diet plan.

e.g. I have a sweet tooth and love chocolate, but it makes me pile on the pounds. I therefore cut it out.

I still eat sweet things, but mainly fruit.

I can't speak for others, but what I do is make up a big bowl of mixed salad. Cucumber, tomatoes, peppers, carrot, red cabbage, apple, celery and lettuce. This lasts me three or four days. I eat it with some protein: chicken, salmon,  steak. Sometimes add a little strong cheddar.

This works for me, but in addition I do exercise. I am ten years younger than you, and try to exercise Monday-Friday.

You can google "Youtube + exercise for the elderly" for lots of videos and advice on that matter.

HTH

• Thumbs Up 1