Anyone On Here In England?

funfun

Hi anyone on here in england yesterday, bieng a (filthy) smoker am keen to know how everyone accepted the ban.

There were reports of people not going to conform etc and i thought its not a day to be a policeman with a law like that around!

or anyone spoke to families back home???

I went to a pub in London yesterday and only realised the ban was in force as there were no ashtrays on the tables. I saw a couple of people outside but apart from that it was like it has always been in place. I was having lunch with a friend who smoked and she did not seem at all phased by it. She is a medium to heavt smoker and sat comfortably for 2 hours without needing to pop out for a fag.

I am not sure what a friday or saturday night will be like but the first day was easy.

I a smoker and I am in England. Some pubs went no smoking before the ban, where as others milked it to the last minute and stayed open late on Saturday night for a smoking party.

Personally it really bothers me - I am not a heavy smoker, in fact the only place I smoke is in pubs, which is now the place I won’t be able to. Within my group of friends we are planning to have nights round each others houses rather than going out and I definitely think people will go to pubs less. (That said though I think people probably will smoke less when they are in the pub because they won’t want to be bothered to keep going outside.)

If private clubs’ and pubs without food etc could have been exempt (as was proposed) it would have been manageable. A total ban I think (and so do many others I know, including non smokers) is totally over the top.

A lot of pubs are introducing terraces and outside areas, the 50% enclosed thing seems to be being ignored. I think pubs that don’t have an outside seating area or garden will definitely suffer (personally I won’t go to one ever again).

Smoking in pubs will now be a chore because England is cold and miserable apart from about 1 week in August and no-one will like to be outside.

For me this is a highly contributing factor towards leaving England and living in Thailand instead!

For me this is a highly contributing factor towards leaving England and living in Thailand instead!

Thailand has become one of the strictest countries about banning smoking.

Maybe you should move to a Muslim country? :o

Well you can still smoke in bars which is the important thing for me. Although if smoking was banned inside of bars in Thailand (I've considered that this may happen) I wouldn't care because it's so hot everything is outside anyway.

Why Muslim country? I don't like Muslim countries it's too hard to buy alcohol!!!

Thailand has become one of the strictest countries about banning smoking.

Maybe you should move to a Muslim country? :o

Well you can still smoke in bars which is the important thing for me. Although if smoking was banned inside of bars in Thailand (I've considered that this may happen) I wouldn't care because it's so hot everything is outside anyway.

Why Muslim country? I don't like Muslim countries it's too hard to buy alcohol!!!

I think the general just has a "four legs good , two legs (Muslim) bad" complex.

I was in my native land (Ireland) last year and was amazed the rule was being observed. The night I arrived the pub we went to was empty (bar me and my two sons (who no longer smoke)) and the following day we were Dublin city centre which has acquired a lot of pavement tables (a la Parisienne) which was a relief.

This WILL spread to Thailand , some mental illnesses are infectious.

The sky IS falling.

What to do , what to do :D

I'm here. I don't watch the news so I don't know how it has gone, but I do know that my household (which, during the night of Saturday/Sunday contained about 40 people) all piled to the pub before last orders, in order to make the most of being allowed to smoke in pubs, for the last hour or two.

I believe we EACH smoked about a packet in the space of an hour or two.

was back in Scotland, for the first time since the ban there, a couple of months ago. Got pulled up a couple of times for sparking up in the old local. The pubs are as busy as ever the smart ones or at least the ones that can setting up an area outside. Being the north east of Scotland wall heaters and those gas table heaters are most definatly required. :o:D:D

Yup, the nanny state / barnpot Britain just keeps on getting more inward.

Now when you go down town the boozed up revellers are now outside the bars, crowding the fck out of the pavement having a smoke. So folk going about their business are inhaling the fumes outside! Great idea Tony! Cheers for that.

The ideal answer was to get a decent vent system installed in all the small pubs / clubs to get rid of the smoke. But its cheaper and easier to throw out the smokers. A campaign to get the smoking ban overturned is in motion but knowing the wet lettuces in power at the moment it won't go very far.

The ideal answer was to get a decent vent system installed in all the small pubs / clubs to get rid of the smoke. But its cheaper and easier to throw out the smokers. A campaign to get the smoking ban overturned is in motion but knowing the wet lettuces in power at the moment it won't go very far.

I doubt there's any vent system that will clear air thick with smoke before the staff get to breathe it. How would you do that in an airconditioned room?

I wish they had these laws when I was clubbing in my younger years.

At least they were kind enough to start it in the Summer. I'd love to be there to see the smokers suffer in winter puffing away on the streets. Great payback after having smokers torture me during my clubbing years....having my clothes, skin and hair reeking of filthy cigarette smoke.

Edited by tropo

Don't the smokers start screaming when their "freedoms" are impinged!

The city and country in which I live are among the world leaders in banning smoking in public places. Smokers arn't allowed to persue their habits in sporting arenas (even outdoor), cars containing children and outside government buildings.

For people like me it's made it possible to again go into a pub for a beer without having to escape outside (and wash all clothes when home) after one quick drink.

I nearly went at a German guy the other day when he walked into my Patong restaurant, lite up, and started blowing smoke over me and my dinner. I had to tell myself he didn't know any better, and Thailand is the wrong place to educate the ignorant.

All those who say they will never go to the pub again in protest are just blowing it out of somewhere else for a change. Everthing returns to normal albeit smokefree.

Edited by Old Croc

I doubt there's any vent system that will clear air thick with smoke before the staff get to breathe it. How would you do that in an airconditioned room?

I wish they had these laws when I was clubbing in my younger years.

At least they were kind enough to start it in the Summer. I'd love to be there to see the smokers suffer in winter puffing away on the streets. Great payback after having smokers torture me during my clubbing years....having my clothes, skin and hair reeking of filthy cigarette smoke.

There are but they cost a fortune and yes, for Air con it won't work, but then in non-tropical britain air con is almost unheard of.