Nang Ram beach Sattahip

LittleBear57

A word of warning.

Went snorkelling at this beach as I have done many times over the past 15 years and came across the strongest current I have ever encountered which dragged us away and to the left of the island as you look at it from the beach. We were all good swimmers but really struggled getting back to the beach.

They are building an oil refinery down there and I believe they have dredged out the harbour so tankers will be able to dock. I assume this has had a massive effect on the currents. It has also pretty much wiped out all the coral due to silt and nearly all the fish have gone. Stay within the buoys and in your own depth. I know the beach has always has a small current but this was extreme. I did snorkel a little on the other beach Nang Rong (second beach) didn't feel any current there but that was a different day.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, LittleBear57 said:

It's still a great beach but the coral is dead and the currents are scary. 

Yes tidal currents are more dangerous the rip "tides"  . A scuba diver was swept away in Samae San . I assume you were wearing fins. Dive fins would not be as effective as Duck Feet fins