Suspect in Michigan student's death accused of fleeing to Thailand

webfact

9 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

"Howson, 57, was charged by Oakland County prosecutors last week with failure to stop at the scene of an accident resulting in the death of Benjamin Kable, 22, of Shelby Township, which also is a five-year felony."

Five years in USA for failure to stop at the scene of an accident.

Is this a crime in Thailand?

No, a tradition.

• Haha 1

Her husband sounds like a piece of work, I quote "Not my fault I wasn’t even in the country" not a drop of empathy there either! 

Well USA you now know a little how we felt in the UK when you used a Military aircraft to fly our a US Wife out of the country when she murdered a Brit on a bike with her car!!! 

Sympathy for the family for their loss and making excuses for this holds no water "She new she killed another human being and fled, not even checking the boy"!

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why wouldn't Thailand comply with the extradition treaty?

Because Thailand extradited a real criminal to America and then that arms dealer was traded to Russia for a black lesbian basketballer. I wouldn't hold it against Thailand if they didn't extradite this woman. Besides, isn't it America that won't extradite a woman to the UK for about the same offense? I say 'about' because the student was drunk causing the accident and the UK fella was just out for a ride on his motorbike; two different scenarios. 

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, fusion58 said:

Sounds like this bimbo didn't really think things through, i.e., didn't search for a country with no extradition treaty with the U.S.

Suspect (from her name) that she's a Thai citizen.

In which case she won't be extradited.

Edited by BritManToo

5 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

Besides, isn't it America that won't extradite a woman to the UK for about the same offense? I say 'about' because the student was drunk causing the accident and the UK fella was just out for a ride on his motorbike; two different scenarios. 

She was a diplomat's wife but I don't recall her also being a student.

That was a disturbing case.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Bohemianfish said:

Reading a news article, Daily Mail, I know, she may not be at fault. He was kicked out of an Uber, so probalby drunk. His dad said the road where he was dropped off was dangerous. Not well lit, to boot. 

Either way, she panicked, people do that. She may have thought she'd be in trouble when she may not have. Cultural thing? Worried about the police and the legal system as many  do and rightly so in a lot of instances.

Doesn't change anything, she hit someone and ran - apparently to another country. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Xanthe said:

And welcome to the heaven for rejected foreigners seeking for brides and orgies and live a life on a "wify visa" in Thailand. 

So we can assume you don't reside in Thailand, but by the off-chance that you do, your statement must fully apply to yourself. 

It's a side note, but I'm mystified as to why people think you can't be extradited from countries that you don't have  extradition agreements with. Actually it works the other way round, often the extradition agreements will prohibit the extradition of a countries own citizens. Example, as a French citizen, film director Roman Polanski has long been able to escape extradition to the United states for the alleged crime of having sex with a minor. France does not extradite its own citizens, end of subject. In the situation where no extradition treaty exists there is nothing to prevent a country requesting extradition, then it's down to politics rather than law. Venezuela might want you if you have enough $ to spread around, not the case here. In any event, if found guilty of this crime it carries more than a 12 month sentence so is therefore extraditable under the treaty between Thailand and US. And to the poster who asked can you be extradited when you're only suspected of a crime,  duh, that’s the point, so you can face trial..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, roamer said:

I'm mystified as to why people think you can't be extradited from countries that you don't have  extradition agreements with.

Thanks, you for the post. Extradition excites people in the expat community & Thailand. It is almost as if countries cannot send criminals to other countries if they don’t have the golden “Extradition Treaty”. What twaddle. Countries can do so if they want to, extradition treaties have nothing to do with it, and sending criminals sans extradition treaty, happens all the time.

The Thai press does encourage the idea, though. Nothing they love more than to talk about what could happen .. they could extradite … they might extradite … extradition is a possibility … Wow! This might, possibly, maybe, could, happen. They love to get pseudo serious with those headlines. How many years did they talk about extraditing the T Man?! Yep, they could extradite. They never did. Currently you have the infamous 'Pink Heifer' case, they could extradite … if they could find him, but they don’t want to do either so nothing better than distract with endless yacking about it.

The women from Michigan is seriously small fry, nothing better to crank out the headlines for the masses. 

(1/2) A 57-year-old Thai woman based in the US will be extradited back to America after she was wanted for killing a university student in Michigan in a car accident. Tubtim was arrested in Ratchaburi province.

(2/2) Deputy Police Chief Pol Gen Surachate Hakparn, aka "Big Joke", held a press conference Weds sitting next to Tubtim. The woman said the incident took place on Jan 1 & she was in shock so she fled back to Thailand to hide. The victim was a 22-year-old American male.

https://twitter.com/KhaosodEnglish/status/1625770997881376768

On 2/11/2023 at 10:59 AM, phetphet said:

Many Thais flee the scene of accidents. Its often in the news here.

In fact, when I first came here, I was told that if I was ever involved in, or saw an accident involving a Thai, to not stop, because I would either be attacked by the locals, or blamed as a farang.

Heartless, but it seems she was just doing what many Thais do

Isn't this a a Thai tradition?,eg. Boss????