Your experience with the TOT NT Thunder SIM

Mickeymaus

In my topic "Your experience with SIM card routers" I have tested True Move, AIS, Dtac and the TOT NT packages "Work and Learn" and the TOT NT Thunder. The Thunder was the only one with unlimited data AND speed. At my location in Central Pattaya it performs great. I tested many times in the meantime. Here some example results (please click on the link next to the Mickeymaus avatar and not on the link below) :

It is by far the best SIM that I tested and this for only 999 Baht a year - unbelievable. But it depends on the location (here also the floor) and on the used devices. 

When I applied for the Thunder online I had to enter the longitude and latitude of my condo (it will tell you if your location is covered) and the floor number (should not be higher than 5). The floor number is important since many signals cover mainly the area below the antenna tower (it might be on a high building). But it should work on higher floors too - perhaps with a weaker signal. My signal is not perfect too (see picture) and I am within the 5 floor limit. 

For me the Thunder is (so far...) a great package. But I would like to know the experience others have with this Thunder SIM card. An approximate location, the floor number and the used devices (if possible with CAT version) would be very helpful. 

SmartSelect_20230209-090201_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Mickeymaus

Can anyone from the moderators please tell me why the editor often switches to bold letters automatically. I never selected bold and it might give the text a different meaning. Often I try to avoid this by copying the same text again as plain text. But at my comment above I still had this problem because I added a litte bit text afterwards ????

My TOT NT Thunder was delivered on Wednesday 08/02/2566 so very early days yet. I am South of Khon Kaen, ground floor shop, one soi away from main thoroughfare. Installed it into iPhone 8 Plus. Speeds; Downstream range from 11.3 to 16.5. Upstream from 0.16 to 1.82.  

I am unable to obtain a signal at home (ground floor, only 980 metres from shop and also only one soi from main thoroughfare).

Hope this helps you and others!

Edited by The Fugitive
  • Like 1

I just checked at Shoppee speed tests of buyers for the highest speeds. I found for example the pictures below. So I seem to be in the highest category with my 140 to 150 Mbps. But there are many with lower but still good speeds and some with unacceptable speeds. Some gave 5 stars but didn't test it yet ????. The ratings are in the first picture. 

https://shopee.co.th/-เน็ตไม่อั้น-1-ปี-NT-wireless-net-Thunder-999-i.235326805.3979061813

SmartSelect_20230211-144155_Chrome Beta.jpg

th-11134103-22060-tadd8qrt2ldve4.jpeg

th-11134103-22100-wxt5u7h2p6iv65.jpeg

821bc85499d9d28839491be07ef218cc.jpeg

Some speedtests like Ookla and TOT seem to give much higher readings.

We are still getting much faster Internet with the Ais marathon sim 1 year package.

Good to see the NT thunder sim works well in your location but it's very hit and miss for us with frquent disconnecting.

We have not seen over around 15mbps.

Not used it now for a few days but it will be a good back up if needed.

Edited by kwak250
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

Thank you for sharing your experience. I also tested the Thunder with testmy.net. Not always, but most of the time I get around 100-150. AIS was a disaster in my condo but worked great two floors up at a friend of mine. The only way is to test it.

What I try to avoid is that readers see my really great results and think if they buy the Thunder they'll get the same thing. That was the reason for this topic. To show them that it's not the same for everyone. But on the other hand they should also see what MIGHT be possible with the Thunder.

Yes i am sure the Thunder has great results in certain locations with yours being exceptional.

Still even for us its very cheap internet for a year .

I am sure on our holidays we will get a much faster connection which is the main reason we buy a 1 year sim and going away for a vacation and having both Ais and the mighty Thunder will give us a good chance that one will work well.

Thanks for your time with this you have put in a lot of work .

I see you can test your signal .

Have you got a link for this so i can check?

I see you had a 

SmartSelect_20230209-090201_Gallery.jpg.ca52cf9438ed67f071974e7d28b274ed.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mickeymaus said:

Thank you very much.  It is Net Cell Info Lite & WiFi app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wilysis.cellinfolite

Yes, it's a lot of work and I'll be happy when it's finished. It was finished until someone mentioned the NT Thunder SIM. Then I had to test it. Without this forum, I would have had no idea such a thing existed. And I'm glad now that I got this information here. And even the router I got for free from a member of this forum. This story was covered here earlier. I just try to give something back. 

Appreciate your contributions! You mention you are using a pocket router. Would the signal reception be equal to, worse or better than that of an 'average quality' mobile 'phone?  

Our attempt to register last year failed (as required to be register by person who mail ordered from Lazada I guess - but I do not have smart phone - son tried to register using his phone - but they seemed to be asking for some code not in package).  Alternative was to go the NT HQS in Bangkok and try to find place to register. 

53 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Appreciate your contributions! You mention you are using a pocket router. Would the signal reception be equal to, worse or better than that of an 'average quality' mobile 'phone?  

Signal reception is difficult to compare.  The router usually says 80 but up to 90 percent and the tablet what you can see in the picture of my first posting here -98.

But it's a very interesting question. So I walked through my apartment with the Thunder in my tablet and looked for the location with the worst signal strength - no, not in the microwave ????.  It was -108. There was no noticeable speed impact. Should I try in the microwave? 

732220249_SmartSelect_20230209-094952_MaxthonBrowser.jpg.bf0213da74d7b444ce13e037be60d0a5.jpg

Screenshot_20230212-164442_Network Cell Info Lite.jpg

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Our attempt to register last year failed (as required to be register by person who mail ordered from Lazada I guess - but I do not have smart phone - son tried to register using his phone - but they seemed to be asking for some code not in package).  Alternative was to go the NT HQS in Bangkok and try to find place to register. 

I will describe the registration at TOT tomorrow in my other router topic. It was a little bit exhausting. 

2 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

Signal reception is difficult to compare.  The router usually says 80 but up to 90 percent and the tablet what you can see in the picture of my first posting here -98.

But it's a very interesting question. So I walked through my apartment with the Thunder in my tablet and looked for the location with the worst signal strength - no, not in the microwave ????.  It was -108. There was no noticeable speed impact. Should I try in the microwave? 

732220249_SmartSelect_20230209-094952_MaxthonBrowser.jpg.bf0213da74d7b444ce13e037be60d0a5.jpg

Screenshot_20230212-164442_Network Cell Info Lite.jpg

Thank you very much!

While you all are sitting in bars ???????????? I'm still working very hard.  No, I wanted to know that myself.

I was just visiting a friend in Central Pattaya and he is staying in a different location in a higher multi storey building. It was 9 pm. First I tested the signal strength and speed on the 11th floor and then on the 5th floor. On the fifth floor, the speed was twice as high.

There is a warning from TOT - see last picture.

This test also showed that a strong signal has nothing to do with high speed. My signal at my location is much worse and I'm getting much higher speed.

Anyway - I just tested an other location and it might be completely different for you.

xAddText_02-12-09.38.59.jpg

xAddText_02-12-09.41.24.jpg

xAddText_02-12-09.37.53.jpg

xAddText_02-12-09.40.23.jpg

SmartSelect_20230212-213514_Chrome Beta.jpg

Here a bit more info about the Thunder. It is from the Shopee link below using Google Translate:

Product Description

Unlimited internet for 12 months (365 days), no speed limit and no usage limit.

Able to issue a tax invoice, scan the QR CODE, it will be attached to the product

**********No refund, return the product in the following cases**********

- If the product has been accepted in Shopee, it cannot be refunded in any case.

- must check the area before ordering at ntwirelessnet

- Can be used with mobile phones, Tablets, SIM Routers, Pocket WIFI, Aircard devices must support 2300 band or LTE Band 40 only.

- Can only use the internet, can't make and receive calls.

- APN = pocket settings must be configured.

- In case of purchasing more than 1 SIM, all SIMs will be activated at the same time. under the same order can't be stored to activate one SIM at a time

- Cannot be used at a building height of more than 5 floors.

- No refunds/returns In case of ordering more than 1 SIM

- Customers who buy NT wireless net products via shopee channel reserve the right to transfer/change Registrant's name

- Delivery on Monday-Friday, cut off time 9:00 a.m., except public holidays and public holidays.

- If the product is out of stock, it will be available at 9:00 AM.

product details

***Please read terms and conditions. before placing an order***

Conditions NT wireless net Sim card : Thunder Net

1. We reserve the right to limit 1 order per 1 product. In case of purchasing more than 1 SIM, all SIMs will be activated at the same time. under the same order cannot be stored and activated individually for each SIM

2. Purchase of NT wireless net products via shopee channel reserves the right to transfer/change Registrant's name

3. NT wireless net service is an internet package service via SIM card media only. (not SIM service mobile phone) The customer cannot bring the SIM card and the service number shown on this SIM card to register for use in the same way as a mobile phone in all cases.

4. Internet service Wireless net can use internet on NT mobile 4G (2300 MHz) network only which covers some areas. Customers please check the service area before placing an order at ntwirelessnet.

5. If the customer wishes to use the received SIM in Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat, Songkhla provinces (Na Thawi District, Chana District, Thepha District, Saba Yoi District), contact any TOT customer service center with SIMs that have activated the QR Code system

6. This SIM card is suitable for use with devices sold under nt wireless net service. If used with other devices or mobile phones (some models), APN : pocket setting is required to use the Internet package service. can

7. Devices that support the use of NT wireless net include NT wireless net CPE and 4G Router/Mobile Phone devices that support 2300 MHz. (LTE Band 40)

8. When receiving the product All products under the same order will remain unavailable. Customers must activate via QR code attached to the product.

a. If the customer does not need a tax invoice Customers can keep to activate the SIM by themselves before 60 days from the date of purchase. After 60 days, all SIM cards under the same order will be automatically deactivated.

b. In case the customer needs a tax invoice Customers must activate and fill in tax invoice information. before the date of confirmation of receiving the goods (or automatic delivery confirmation date) in Shopee

9. When the customer has activated the service The internet package received is : Continuous use at maximum speed. Unlimited amount of use according to the duration of each package from the date of activation

Remarks *Maximum speed class is the speed rate measured by the speed rate laboratory system. In actual use, it depends on the period of time, weather conditions, and the density of service users. Amount of data transmission and the quality of receiving-sending signals of connected devices of service users

10. The SIM card picture displayed on Shopee for promotional purposes may not match the SIM card the customer receives. (Depending on the model produced), but the features of using the internet package will be the same as stated.

11. NT wireless net reserves the right to suspend, change or terminate the service. If it is found that the service user has dishonest intent, is illegal or contrary to government announcements or not used continuously for 60 days from the expiration date of the promotion

12. NT wireless net reserves the right to change conditions, add/cancel promotional items. without prior approval from the service user

13. The above service rates are inclusive of VAT.

14. Users can check the amount of internet used or apply for other promotional programs via the ntwirelessnet website. Additional terms and conditions can be found at NT Contact Center 1888.

https://shopee.co.th/-เน็ตไม่อั้น-1-ปี-NT-wireless-net-Thunder-999-i.235326805.3979061813?sp_atk=f1be5609-9e0b-4ac4-b450-10c968b8936d&xptdk=f1be5609-9e0b-4ac4-b450-10c968b8936d

• Thanks 1

Tested my Thunder SIM 'on the road' yesterday (as a passenger of course). During the 60 km journey to Khon Kaen, connections were continuous! Speeds varied, as you'd expect. Reached upper 20's for downstream in places. However, in Central Khon Kaen, at ground floor level, downstream speeds dropped to 3 or 4 Mbps. All in all, satisfactory (for me at least), especially for 999 baht per annum!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Tested my Thunder SIM 'on the road' yesterday (as a passenger of course). During the 60 km journey to Khon Kaen, connections were continuous! Speeds varied, as you'd expect. Reached upper 20's for downstream in places. However, in Central Khon Kaen, at ground floor level, downstream speeds dropped to 3 or 4 Mbps. All in all, satisfactory (for me at least), especially for 999 baht per annum!

Thank you for the information. 

The people can test at the TOT NT application site if their area is covered. Of course this is no guarantee for any speed. I took the following text partially from my SIM card router topic. I did not want to link it because other things than the Thunder SIM are covered there too. 

https://wcsoss.totwbs.com/promotion

I found the site only in Thai. But Google Translate in the Chrome browser helped. It was only a problem with pop-ups where you had to select something like Banglamung.

Click on a package and then you have to enter the longitude and latitude of your location. You can find this on Google Maps for instance. In my case for instance it is 12.98961 and 100.96102. If you enter there a number that doesn't make sense to the system you will get the message that this area is not covered. But even if your entry is correct it might perhaps really not be covered. You can't continue then with the application. You can also try to find the longitude and latitude with Google Search. Enter "longitude latitude" and your condo name like "The Base Pattaya" and you might get it. 

Edited by Mickeymaus
Editor changed some text to bold.
  • Thanks 1

Here a reminder how important it is that your device supports LTE Band 40 if you want to use the Thunder. Look at my posting here and be careful if you buy a router.  Please click on the first link next to the Mickeymaus avatar and not on the link underneath it. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2023 at 9:47 AM, chakeeoyen said:

Can you provide some detail on the registration process? Was it difficult?

I wrote about this two postings ago. If something is not clear there or missing please let me know what it is. The registration is not difficult. The most difficult part is to find the longitude and latitude of your location.

At

https://wcsoss.totwbs.com/promotion

you select the Thunder package that you want - here for example the monthly one for the 1 month package and confirm (see picture) - and get to the next page where you have to enter the longitude and the latitude.

If this is done correctly and Thunder is available at your location you come to the next page where you enter passport number and other things and finally get your service code. You can write this on a piece of paper and go with this and your passport to the service center shown under this code. But I think you can go to any other service center too. You can search for one there. 

SmartSelect_20230220-101517_Chrome.jpg

6 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

I wrote about this two postings ago. If something is not clear there or missing please let me know what it is. The registration is not difficult. The most difficult part is to find the longitude and latitude of your location.

My bad the way it was written I assumed it was just for checking service availability. Thanks for the info. I will give this a go.

3 hours ago, chakeeoyen said:

My bad the way it was written I assumed it was just for checking service availability. Thanks for the info. I will give this a go.

If you have further questions let me know it.

If you want to check if your phone or tablet can use B40 that the Thunder needs, you can do so for instance at

https://www.gsmarena.com

Search for your model. Then at NETWORK press EXPAND on the right side and you should see number 40 under 4G as shown in the picture. Please understand that I cannot guarantee the correctness of the data shown there.

1619114086_YSmartSelect_20230220-001434_ChromeBeta.jpg.91929e3710d2bbd1e749e2e6e437947d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to add some information about the settings when using the Thunder. This SIM is special because it is not a SIM with a phone number and therefore the devices might react differently than with normal SIMs. Some of my friends have it now and here are the settings I had to make on their iPhones. You can find the ones for Android and routers under the link at the end. If you have other Thunder questions and are looking for good answers, use the Chrome browser and the translate function there and go to

https://wcsoss.totwbs.com/Faq/index

iPHONE
======

I don't have an iPhone myself so I just took pictures while changing the settings - sorry for the bad picture quality. Didn't want to mess around with screenshots.

If you add the Thunder, it worked with the iPhones I've had in my hands with no issues (wasn't the same with Android devices). What didn't work with the iPhones was turning on the access point. There was no menu entry. Here how to activate it in such a case and also the correct settings for the Thunder.

Click on Cellular Data Network in the settings (first picture - you can already see the Personal Hotspot there because I activated it before) and enter TOT into the first APN (Access Point Name) and enter "pocket" into the LTE APN. Then scroll down until you see PERSONAL HOTSPOT. Enter TOT there. On some iOS versions every entry worked, but on some only TOT worked. So better enter TOT. After that you should see the menu item for Personal Hotspot as shown in the first picture. Enter a password there and turn it on (allow other users) and you're done. The hotspot name is the name of your iPhone. More information how to change it here

https://support.apple.com/en-bn/guide/iphone/iphf256af64f/ios

If you don't need the hotspot, turn it off.  It will waste your battery for nothing!

Android + Router
==============

Here the Thunder settings for Android and router. Please click on the link next to the Mickeymaus avatar and not on the link underneath it. 

A 1677759090933.jpg

B 1677759086263.jpg

C 1677759286058.jpg

D 1677759086351.jpg

• 9 months later...

I received SIM from Shopee, registration QR code leads to Line account chat. There is instruction in Thai, as I can understand I will need to send photo of received SIM with barcode and give some phone number for OTP.  Maybe someone knows, does only Thai number can be given there or foreign also?  And what they ask next? just to be prepared 

4 hours ago, Terek said:

I received SIM from Shopee, registration QR code leads to Line account chat. There is instruction in Thai, as I can understand I will need to send photo of received SIM with barcode and give some phone number for OTP.  Maybe someone knows, does only Thai number can be given there or foreign also?  And what they ask next? just to be prepared 

Good luck.  We gave up after being advised had to visit NT hqs.  Believe name used to buy may have to match registration name (and may have to be Thai).  We wrote it off rather than try to navigate NT hqs.  Hope someone can advise better and that we were just the exception.  

On 3/4/2023 at 2:04 PM, Mickeymaus said:

I just want to add some information about the settings when using the Thunder. This SIM is special because it is not a SIM with a phone number and therefore the devices might react differently than with normal SIMs. Some of my friends have it now and here are the settings I had to make on their iPhones. You can find the ones for Android and routers under the link at the end. If you have other Thunder questions and are looking for good answers, use the Chrome browser and the translate function there and go to

https://wcsoss.totwbs.com/Faq/index

iPHONE
======

I don't have an iPhone myself so I just took pictures while changing the settings - sorry for the bad picture quality. Didn't want to mess around with screenshots.

If you add the Thunder, it worked with the iPhones I've had in my hands with no issues (wasn't the same with Android devices). What didn't work with the iPhones was turning on the access point. There was no menu entry. Here how to activate it in such a case and also the correct settings for the Thunder.

Click on Cellular Data Network in the settings (first picture - you can already see the Personal Hotspot there because I activated it before) and enter TOT into the first APN (Access Point Name) and enter "pocket" into the LTE APN. Then scroll down until you see PERSONAL HOTSPOT. Enter TOT there. On some iOS versions every entry worked, but on some only TOT worked. So better enter TOT. After that you should see the menu item for Personal Hotspot as shown in the first picture. Enter a password there and turn it on (allow other users) and you're done. The hotspot name is the name of your iPhone. More information how to change it here

https://support.apple.com/en-bn/guide/iphone/iphf256af64f/ios

If you don't need the hotspot, turn it off.  It will waste your battery for nothing!

Android + Router
==============

Here the Thunder settings for Android and router. Please click on the link next to the Mickeymaus avatar and not on the link underneath it. 

A 1677759090933.jpg

B 1677759086263.jpg

C 1677759286058.jpg

D 1677759086351.jpg

My NTThunder sim works OK in my router,no config necessary,but will not work in my Vivo phone,cannot edit APN.(greyed out)

Speeds during peak times 4/0

Off peak 12/1

37 minutes ago, norbra said:

My NTThunder sim works OK in my router,no config necessary,but will not work in my Vivo phone,cannot edit APN.(greyed out)

Speeds during peak times 4/0

Off peak 12/1

Thank's fyi.    I'm contemplating buying the 199 baht NT SIM to try in my Oppo android for PC internet.  

12 hours ago, Terek said:

give some phone number for OTP. 

The mobile 'phone number must be the one you quoted when ordering. I had to find this out by a process of elimination. In the end, I found out that I had supplied my Mrs's mobile number (my thinking was if any queries with my order, they would probably be asking in Thai language).

8 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Good luck.  We gave up after being advised had to visit NT hqs.  Believe name used to buy may have to match registration name (and may have to be Thai).  We wrote it off rather than try to navigate NT hqs.  Hope someone can advise better and that we were just the exception.  

Got mine going, eventually, after a struggle. The mobile number for the OTP has to match the mobile number you gave when ordering. Name is mine (in English of course). Couldn't remember what I'd given when ordering so tried all combinations i.e. my Thai mobile number, my UK passport number and my Covid/Pink ID card number. I remembered that, at one time, I gave my Mrs's ID card number and my own Thai mobile number. Turned out I'd given them my wife's mobile number in case of any queries.