Extension of non-O in CM

My non-O (retirement) visa will expire end June. My immigration office is CM.

Because I must travel extensively and plan ahead, I need to know:
1. What is the earliest date before expiration I can apply for an extension? 45 days? 60 days?

2. Is it true my passport needs 18 months' validity to apply for extension?

3. I had more than 800K in one bank, but 10 months ago moved all the money into a new account with another bank (also under my name). For proof of income what hurdle or detail should I be aware of?

A big thank you!

CM is up to 45 days early.

You can try earlier and show flight ticket.

Your extension will only be issued up till date of expiry of pp.

12 months validity is fine. 

If you withdrew the funds from one account and placed then in another that may cause an issue.

Sounds like you did that within 3 months of obtaining previous extension. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

Thank you DrJack54 for your clear answers.

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

If you withdrew the funds from one account and placed then in another that may cause an issue.

Sounds like you did that within 3 months of obtaining previous extension. 

Oh goodness. I am not sure whether I waited 3 months before doing that. I opened up a new account which had a higher interest rate and moved the money (well over 800K baht). So on this technicality I will be refused an extension? What do you advise?

3 minutes ago, bg53 said:

Thank you DrJack54 for your clear answers.

Oh goodness. I am not sure whether I waited 3 months before doing that. I opened up a new account which had a higher interest rate and moved the money (well over 800K baht). So on this technicality I will be refused an extension? What do you advise?

As long as you transferred your money I to your new account on the same day, shouldn't think you will have a problem.

• Like 1

Thank you. It was most certainly the same day (movement of money) or over 2 days (in batches).

Not sure I fancy my chances with the whims and discretion of an IO!

Any regulations or personal experience of what I should do in this situation?

more details:
1. I moved the money over a period of 2 days.

2. The money was moved 3 months 1 week after the "date issued" on the original (first) 1 year non-O extension, but less than 3 months after the "valid until" date.

Edited by bg53

32 minutes ago, bg53 said:

more details:
1. I moved the money over a period of 2 days.

2. The money was moved 3 months 1 week after the "date issued" on the original (first) 1 year non-O extension, but less than 3 months after the "valid until" date.

The 800k maintained for 3 months is from application date. 

For the many guys (including myself) that just keep 800k + in a dedicated bank account, if they ever wish to change banks I suggest to do it in two hits after the 3 month requirement.

So transfer say 400k three months after application and later the other 400k+.

In your shoes I suggest check with immigration with bank book pages printed out for advice.

For some reason immigration can be very fussy on this. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

I did not want any hassle when I wanted to change account to different bank,

so I opened another Bank account with 800,000 Baht *, and applied for the

extension with new Bank book, fully seasoned , but the IO  Chiang Mai still

wanted to see the book from the other account , so be sure you take yours

with you. good luck.      * still had 800,000 Thb in the other book ,just in case.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, bg53 said:

I just noticed my passport is only valid for 12 months less 4 days after the validity period of current extension. Will that be another issue?

If your passport expires earlier than the 365 days you will be given extension with expiry date matching your pp.

So no big deal in your case as you only lose few days. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bg53 said:

Pardon me for one more (stupid) question:

If I obtain a new pp early next year, what would I need to do to keep the non-O valid? I hate to restart the whole process if the non-O is nullified.

The annual extension is still valid but you'll need to go out to Immigration and get the stamps transferred into your new passport.  There's no charge for this.   

Presuming you've applied for the new passport here in Thailand (can only be done by mail via the Bangkok Embassy.....see the Embassy/Consulate website for how to do that), what you'll need is:

(1) Form titled "Transfer Stamp to New Passport Form" (you can get this at CM Immigration - it's CM specific and they did not accept the "Bangkok" one I obtained online);

(2) The Embassy letter you'll get with your new passport (you won't get this if you obtain the new passport back in the US);

(3)  From the old passport, they required from me a copy of every filled-out page, even those with visas/stamps from other countries;

(4)  From new passport, copy of the entire photo page (and, if applicable, copies of any other page with stamps).

• Like 2